5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' read
Published on May 4, 2011 by Eddie Charlett-Green

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing Something?
I admit I am guilty of not leaving a lot of reviews and I really feel like I need to go back and give credit to all the good ones out there after trying this book

Published on June 14, 2011 by Kindlefan

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' read, May 4, 2011
Since buying my Kindle six months ago, I have been an avid reader of historical novels, either of the 'wild West' or the Scottish Highlands. I have tired a little of the 'inspirational' authors who can spoil a good story with too much sermonizing. This book was a good, honest romance, set in Scotland in the 15th Century, with enough fighting and intrigue to make it a really good read. It was one of those stories I could not put down, and finished in 24 hours. I am so looking forward to the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Innocent, passionate, romantic.... with a side of adventure, July 4, 2011
RKS27 (COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
Since other reviewers have written adequate synopsis of the story I will not...

I am an avid reader of Inspirational Historical fiction. I do not like really lengthy or raunchy sex scenes which is why I gravitated to that genre. But I've run out of books to read. At 99 cents I couldn't pass up giving this book a chance. Good reviews and a blurb that was intriguing. I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

While this book is not Christian, there is nothing offensive in this book. YOu could watch the passion grow in both of the characters in a realistic way and none of it was forced or crude. It was actually quite beautiful. If you are looking for a romance, this author weaves it with class. It was nice to read a book that was wholesome where I wasn't being preached at.

Again, I would like to reiterate... there are no religious themes in this book so do not be turned off by this review. I just wanted to point out that this book is good for readers like myself--- those who like to feel a real passionate connection between characters and like reading a little of itbut without reading all most intimate details.

And if the spectacular romance isn't enough, there is enough suspense to keep you turning pages swiftly. I couldn't put this down.

Well done. I eagerly await the rest of the books in this series. One of my new favorites!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing Something?, June 14, 2011

Unless I'm missing something I don't understand how this has such high ratings. I have tried to get through this but I must throw in the towel. How old is the lead female? The hero's very young sister acts older than she does and the poor girl was married and beaten by the age of I believe 10! (I know she's young but I just don't have it in me to go back and confirm her exact age). Her constant physical attack to the hero just grated on my last nerve and then her jealously (um where is this coming from?) was just it for me. He was developing feelings for someone who he hasn't had a converstaion with and who is always kicking or hitting him? UGG just painful.

I'm sorry but if by the half way mark if the characters havn't even had a decent talk between each other it becomes a complete waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Think twice..., May 8, 2011
It is difficult with the advent of self-published and small press books to separate good quality from poor. Often it is a matter of poor or no editing and that is the problem with this book. Had there been an editor or at the least a good beta reader many of the word problems and punctuation errors would have been caught.

But the real problem for this reader (I've been a Scottish/romance reader for over 40 years) is the lack of development of the story. The characters do not act or react as one might expect in a romance, and there is just no sexual tension to speak of (fighting each other and accidentally falling on each other is not sexual tension). So that when they do succumb to each other it is just not believable and lasts but two or three purple prose paragraphs. This might have been better executed if they just done "it" behind closed doors, because as written it was very anticlimactic (no pun intended). The story drags with too many characters that seem to have no real purpose in moving the story along, which makes the pace of the story very slow and the reader loses interest in caring what happens to this couple. I kept wondering when the real story was to begin. Sorry, for me it just never did.

Finally, historically it was just too bland, and lacking real knowledge of Scotland. It could have taken place in England and who would have known the difference. There were a number of historical inaccuracies that wouldn't have plagued this reader if there had been a purpose to the change, but this appears as filler or poorly executed foreshadowing for future books, despite the author's acknowledged experience. As a Scottish historian and researcher I just didn't buy much of the premise for this story set in Scotland. Though I wil say she did pretty good with the dialogue, though the hero's Scottish dialect seemed to wane near the end of the story.

Too harsh a review for a 99˘ read, you say? Maybe, but if self-published authors want to be taken seriously then the products they offer must meet a minimum of publishing standards which at the very least should be a copy free of grammatical errors. Was it worth the cost of the book? For me, not really.

1.0 out of 5 stars not even worth the 99 cents, June 16, 2011
I love Scottish romance novels, but this was a huge disappointment on many levels. About half way in, I began quickly skimming just to find out if anything new happens. The book is nearly over before Bree and Ruan finally acknowledged their true feelings to each other. While easy to understand Bree's fear of men due to beatings from her stepfather, why is Ruan "finished with women", as he repeatedly tells us? Ruan's little sister Merry becomes annoying by continually interrupting interactions between Bree and Ruan. There is not one single character that was likeable. The editing is poor as well, and this was supposedly the second (corrected) edition?? Overall, it's just plain awful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Already deleted my first review, but rating stays the same..., January 20, 2012
When I initially reviewed this book I was angry and frustrated, and it showed. I want to be honest about the book, but I feel I could do without the sarcasm. My rating of the book, however, stays the same and for the same reasons.
The initial idea behind the plot is interesting. Bree is sent as a replacement bride to marry Ruan. There are people who wish to harm both of them, and they struggle to build their relationship while fleeing their enemies.
Great, but there really IS Not a build-up of a relationship between the two main characters. What I experienced was a Moe and Curly routine a la Three Stooges; an unfortunate series of sight gags and pratfalls. Bree, who had managed to survive her own hard life, suddenly becomes a klutz and injures herself repeatedly. Additionally, Bree cries copiously, and Caine uses words to describe Bree's crying that are very unappealing. "Sniveling" is one such word, repeated often. I don't know if the author is aware of the very negative connotation this word has because I am sure she would not have chosen it if she did. When Bree is not crying, she really doesn't DO much until the final few chapters of the book when she finally developes a backbone. Other characters talk and react to events, but Bree is usually silent. I soon became frustrated and bored with the character.
There are numerous problems that I have with the book, but the lack of any believable relationship between Bree and Ruan is a close second to the lack of a likeable heroine. The big romantic scene never comes, and I don't mean a big sexual scene, but just a point in the novel when they both characters show their love for each other, with words and actions. The final culmination, after watching the two meander through the plot, is a nonevent. I was left not feeling much of anything for the two characters because they seemed to feel very little themselves.
Caine, however, does a credible job when it comes to the settings of the story. Caine does a nice job in describing the scenery, the buildings and the atmosphere that the characters step into, so the reader can "see" what the characters see. I wish she could have transferred some of that detail to the fleshing out of her characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but could be better, October 25, 2011
Book lover (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
Bree is a young woman who is badly treated and battered by her stepfather and whose mother is exploiting her as a maid. Ruan, a proud Highlander saved his little sister who was forced into marriage with a much older and abusive husband but must in return marry a notoriously unsuitable woman to appease the inimical clan. In any case, he is very surprised that instead of the outrageously unfit future wife he is introduced to a young and beautiful bride who however didn't know that she is marrying.

I love to read a Scottish romance story once in a while and above plot sounded interesting enough. Unfortunately the storyline didn't offer any twist and turns and was rather simplistic. However, the descriptions of the landscape and atmosphere of the Highlands were very inspiring and rewarding.

However, of course always according to my opinion, the main characters weren't enough elaborated. Firstly, the description of the main characters were incomplete. With this I mean that there is no clear indication how old they are. There is a short reference to Ruan's sister who is ten years old and at a certain point the hero thought that his bride isn't much older but there isn't any clear point of reference how old she/he is - or did I miss something? I considered this to be an important detail, especially because both main characters handled their romance in a rather immature way, which could be explained if they were young rather by accrediting it to a sketchy production of the main characters.

Secondly, I thought that Bree's and Ruan's behavior and attitude weren't well enough refined, hence seemed shallow, at least to me. Bree was married to Ruan without really understanding what was happening to her. OK - taking into consideration how this happened, which was very nicely described, I can relate. I can even understand her initial reactions to the incident. However, after a certain point in time I would expect a thinking person to try to find out who her new partner is, evaluate the situation and then try to pursue a new strategy. However, Bree didn't react like a clear thinking but rather like a very narrow-minded person. She kept on running away by principle because she wanted to be independent (back in those times?!) and then, after some time and just like that, realized that she's in love with Ruan. Hm, I would've liked a bit more reasoning behind this very serious change of mind.

On the other hand, Ruan seemed to be a more complex character. I liked that he showed a lot of emotions and seemed in general to be a rather rare specimen for a man of his time. His positive image would've been enhanced had the author chosen to explain more detailed why exactly he was "through with women".

Finally, I would have expected a bit more sexual tension in the story, which is common for romances of this genre. Especially since the book is neither character driven nor based on an embellished and ornamented plot.

Not a bad book but according to my opinion it needs more refining and "maturing".

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, May 20, 2011
Gave to book a five star rating because it was really good. The two main characters were lovable as well as a few of the subbies. I am looking forward to the next installment of this series. I don't like reviews that give away the entire story so I won't do that. If you like romance stories in this time period you will like this book. Plus you can't beat the 99 cent price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable book!, October 17, 2011
I could barely put it down, I ignored my kids for two days straight while I read this book! The love story is so sweet and captivating. Definitely a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars More!, September 17, 2011
Amazon Customer (Saginaw, MI, United States) - See all my reviews
I am waiting for another book by this author! The story draws one in and is quite magical. Ms. Caine is too good to stop with just one book.

The Kindling Heart: The Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance Series
$13.99 $11.82
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.