5.0 out of 5 stars My mother's kisses
Published on March 24, 2001 by Ashley E. Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version is hard to read
While the story is a heart warming story, it is very difficult to read on the kindle 3. For the pages without the illustrations, you can change the text size however for the pages that have text and illustrations, you cannot enlarge the text which makes it very difficult to read since you have the text and picture on the same small screen. It would be better if it was...
Published on September 7, 2010 by 100acre Mom

5.0 out of 5 stars My mother's kisses, March 24, 2001
Ashley E. Taylor (Whitehouse, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
This book touched my heart and brought back so many fond memories. I came across this book lastnight while babysitting and loved it. In elementary, my siblings and I moved schools. Every morning as my mom dropped us off at school she would kiss our hands. She told us that when we needed her and missed her so much, to squeeze our hand so that we could hug her kiss and know that she loved us and was there with us. Time passed and we began asking for those kisses, those comforts, less and less. Until days turned into weeks and weeks turned into months, and it became the time that we no longer asked for those kisses. I am now 18 and will graduate in May from high school. I will leave my comfort zone soon and will need her comfort again. Sometimes I know that I will long to be so young again and want to have those kisses from my mom. When I came across this book a few days ago I was, well, I was speechless. I had no idea that this was not just MY mom's jesture to sooth her children, but another mother's jesture to quiet their fears. I haven't told my mom about the book yet, instead I have decided to buy her a copy and give it to her after my graduation, because I know that she is going to need those kisses in her hand for comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Kissing Hand, July 10, 2000
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
Chester Racoon and his mother prepare for Chester's first "night" at school. He is a little apprehensive, and, of course, he wants to stay home with his mom. Mrs. Racoon shares a secret with Chester called the Kissing Hand. She kisses Chester's palm and tells him to put it to his cheek when he begins to feel lonely at school. This book makes a great gift for a child entering school or going to camp for the first time, or for any occasion where a child will be temporarily separated from home and loved ones. It can also be used to help a child through the death of a parent or special loved one, and for children placed in foster families and residential facilities. For teachers, this book would be super to read the first day of school. It could also lead up to wonderful science, social studies, and reading/writing activities.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless story of a mother's love for her children, October 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
My kindergarten son brought this home from school. I think it's one of the sweetest books I have ever read. I read it to my teenagers and the senior in high school began to cry. I am sending it to my college daughter for her birthday, as it will be the first time in her life we are separated on her birthday. A must for every family who has a college-bound child as well as any time of separation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for all Pre-Schoolers, February 22, 2001
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
Poor little Chester, the racoon, it's time for him to go off to school and he doesn't want to leave his mother. Mother knows that Chester will love school once he gets there. There'll be new friends to meet, new toys to play with, new books to read and even a new swing to swing on. So she tells him a special secret about the "kissing hand". She takes his little hand, spreads the fingers and places a kiss right in the middle of his palm. Now when he feels lonely and needs a little love from home, he can press his hand against his cheek and know his mother's love will be with him. And, before he scampers off to school, he gives his mother the kissing hand too, so that she won't miss him too much, while he's away..... Audrey Penn has written a sweet, endearing story to help little ones face those scary feelings on their first days of separation. Her gentle text is complimented by expressive, detailed illustrations and together will let youngsters know that they're not alone out there in the world. The Kissing Hand is the perfect bedtime story, pre-schoolers will want to read again and again and makes a wonderful addition to all home libraries.

5.0 out of 5 stars He put his fist up to his cheek..., August 1, 2006
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
This is one of my favorite books. The story of little Chester the raccoon, his fear of going away to school, and how his mom gives him a kissing hand so he'll know her love is with him is a priceless story. I've read it to my son and daughter often over the last few years.

On Sunday afternoon my wife and I took our son to his first overnight camp. Three days away in the Carolina mountains at Camp Grier, a Presbyterian church camp. As we were about to leave the camp after dropping him off I called my son over and said "I have 3 things that I want you to remember while you're here.

Number 1 is to be respectful of your fellow campers and the camp counselors that are here.

Number 2 is to remember that if you get tired, or scared, or frustrated to say a prayer and God will be with you.

Number 3 is,"

I took his little hand in mine, kissed his palm, and closed his fingers over it,

"Whenever you feel like you're missing your mom, or your dad, or home. Hold this up to your cheek and remember that we love you and we'll be with you again soon."

We then sent him off to his cabin and his camp mates and he skipped joyfully away. We headed back to the car to leave and found that he had forgotten something. I quickly carried it to his cabin and found him talking with one of his counselors. As I handed him the item I asked him what he was going to do if he missed his mom and dad. He smiled a sheepish grin and held his fist up to his cheek.

I walked away knowing that for the next three days he was going to be fine.

I highly recommend "The Kissing Hand" by Audrey Penn for you and a child that you love.

Kevin Decker

5.0 out of 5 stars Pre-school preparation, August 17, 2000
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
I just came back from a parent teachers meeting for the up-coming school year. The teacher pulled from her bag of show and tell "The Kissing Hand". I thought "Wow I did something right. We have this book!" I always knew it was a great book, (my daughter loves it) but the school sees it as a way to send your child off for the first time to school or daycare. In keeping with the theme of the book the kids all get stickers to put on their palms to press on their cheek for a kiss from their parents. It's a wonderful, loving book about sending your child off to school with an everlasting kiss from mommy (or Daddy). I highly recommend it. 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, July 21, 2002
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
My daughter had a very difficult time going off to first grade. I would have to pry her off my leg for the first week. A friend recommended this book and it really helped. She held the kiss tight in her hand and she she told me she used it several times during the day and she just liked knowing that it was there. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a young child going off on their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Phenomenal Book, August 7, 2006
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
I'm a 24 year old soon-to-be married woman. When my parents moved me into my college dorm room, they left little presents wrapped up in all of the boxes I had to unpack. As you can imagine, once they left I was eager to get situated and began unpacking boxes and filling drawers one-by-one. One of the little presents I came across was this book. Of course, I wasted no time reading it, and soon found myself with tears streaming down my face. I was on my own for the first time, but I knew I knew I wasn't alone; nor was I ever far from my parent's love. It brings tears to my eyes just remembering how touched I was reading that for the first time. This is a fantasic book for everyone- whether you're 5 years old and starting kindergarten for the first time, or 18 and in college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect story for when your child is about to start school, April 6, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
Short, sweet, and too the point. This is a story about a little raccoon about to start school. He talks about his fears to his mother, fears that most children have before starting school. Then his mother comes up with a wonderful solution to help her little raccoon remember that his mommy loves him and is thinking about him, even though she isn't with him. A heart-warming story, but be warned -- it might make you tear up the first time you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to read before the first day of school, August 13, 2000
M. Rossi "Dog Lover" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kissing Hand (Hardcover)
A must have for children beginning school. For the past two years, (I think), I have read this book on the first day of Kindergarten to my students and their parents in the morning just as school is about to begin. It seems to have created a much calmer atmosphere for my students and their parents. I often see the kids hold their hands to their face during the day and I know they are missing home but have a link to their family.

The Kissing Hand
The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn (Hardcover - Dec. 1993)
Used & New from: $0.01