3,244 Reviews
 (2,112)

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Kitchen House", a Noteworthy New Novel
"The Kitchen House"

After reading "The Kitchen House" I believe that Kathleen Grissom has crafted an absorbing historical tale that probes the darkest edges in this villainous period of American history by employing an extraordinary and distinctive approach. The author cleverly created two contrasting protagonists, Lavinia, the white girl-to-woman, and Belle,...
Published on February 11, 2010 by D. Eckert

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing story, but it had some rough spots
I had a hard time deciding exactly how to rate this one, and I'll explain why. "The Kitchen House" by Kathleen Grissom is a novel I was sure I'd love when I read the blurb. I'm a history buff, particularly fond of the South, and an avid reader.

First, the parts I loved. The characters are well-drawn and easy to love or hate, depending on which one we're...
Published on May 27, 2010 by Tina Hayes

‹ Previous | 162 63 64325 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, but not the best book I've read., March 28, 2014
Really enjoyed the book but felt like there was not closure at the end. Worth the time to read! Great book for a book club.

5.0 out of 5 stars The disturbing and inspirational life of slavery, March 28, 2014
This story will rench your heart time and time again! You will feel what it was like at that time and you will end up having a great knowing of what slaves truly went through! You will cry! You won't be able to put this book down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Trite and predictable, March 28, 2014
The characters were made of not flesh and blood but cliches. The writing was simplistic (and I don't mean simple and elegant) and dull. At the outset, I felt I was reading a young adult novel, until it veered into Harlequin Romance territory. There was nothing fresh about a single character or plot point, merely one cliche after another. The ultimate test of a book - would I recommend it? In this case, absolutely not.Animal Cracker

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, March 27, 2014
My daughter read The Kitchen House for her book club and suggested it…so glad she did. The story of long ago could be today. The human race doesn't seem to learn. We were different clothes, but a tyrant often appears. We are tested, are stronger than we could ever imagine when we pull together for good. Can't wait to read Ms. Grissoms next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, March 27, 2014
A well written book which elicits a roller coaster of emotions.
One you can't put down. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars sooo good!, March 27, 2014
This book was not easy to out down! And I'm glad I didn't! Though very sad, also such a great tale of people able to come together to fight against racism and hatred.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slavery, March 27, 2014
Excellent chronicle of slavery from the slaves perspective. The book describes
The interwoven lives of house slaves with
their masters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, March 27, 2014
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom was riveting, and I could not put it down long enough to do other things so my Kindle went everywhere with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, March 27, 2014
I enjoy reading historical fiction. Growing up as a child in the North and living all of my adult life in the South, brought a clear understanding of slavery throughout different parts of the country. Once I began to read Kitchen House, it was difficult to put it down. I enjoyed the story's two narrators telling how the circumstances of their lives and the color of their skin determined the course in the direction of their lives. I have recommended this book to many friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, March 25, 2014
Amazon Customer (Colorado Springs, Colombia) - See all my reviews
Loved the story and all its twists and turns. Could hardly put it down! I have both read and listened to it!

‹ Previous | 162 63 64325 | Next ›

The Kitchen House: A Novel
The Kitchen House: A Novel by Kathleen Grissom (Paperback - February 2, 2010)
$16.00 $9.07