Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on February 25, 2013
This is a very interesting book but, in my opinion, it is definitely NOT for the amateur (or young) Lego enthusiast. Most--if not all--of the examples in the book require a variety of Lego bricks and parts--some of which, I am not sure are easily obtainable. So, do note that if you would like to attempt to build what is in the book, then more than likely you WILL need specialty pieces that may or many not be available.

I bought this book for a child (my son), hoping that I would be able to guide his creativity beyond the "sets" that are currently on the market. My desire was to give inspiration for him to use his imagination and go outside of the instruction sheets. Unfortunately, after looking through this book, I immediately felt compelled to repackage it for return (without ever showing it to him). The examples were quite nice but not what I would call inspirational for the average Lego fan. None of the pieces seemed random (ex. the perfect looking, color-coordinated green dinosaur). . .and none of the examples showed what it would look like if the average Jo(anna) used what (s)he had on hand after combining several random sets (i.e., multi-colored stegosaurus that is missing half of its back plates and a leg!). So, to avoid the frustration of having to explain to my son why we WOULD NOT be purchasing a 1000+ more pieces just to attempt to build what was in the book. . .or why his dinosaur would NEVER look like the example, I decided to return it and look for another alternative.

Anyway, I do think that the book is a great concept (I enjoyed looking at the pictures and thinking about what I would build if I had the opportunity to raid a Lego store). . .but I am not sure that I can recommend it as being a good option for inspiring outside-of-the-Lego-Box creativity for average builders like myself and son. In my opinion, a good Lego book would include varying levels and degrees of difficulty and examples where the average Lego fan (both young and old, amateur and pro) can look inside and find inspiration to make their pieces work towards building different models and designs. And the examples would use fewer specialty pieces and depict multi-colored specimens--unlike the perfectly matched bricks and parts that are used in the examples in this book.

So, despite the good looking examples, this is the reason why I gave it two stars and cannot recommend it.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2012
This hardcover was well done and the illustrations are great. My favorite Lego book used to be the Lego Ideas book by Lipkowitz but after turning the pages on this one I think I have found a new favorite. The step by step instructions are easy to follow and the designers that participated in this are top notch. If you are a Lego fan or have a Lego fan in your circle of friends and family, this is a MUST BUY.

PS: It has that new book smell that I love.
on November 5, 2012
I recently received The Lego Adventure Book. The book is filled with 25 different models that you can construct from different Lego pieces, plus there are examples of other ideas as well. My 9 year old son absolutely loves this books. He carries it around with him and his creative juices are flowing! He made the small brick bot from the book and now he wants to build the T-Rex. Kids of any age (and adults too) will love this book! The pictures take you step by step to build each model and lets you know what pieces you will need. The illustrations are fun and entertaining as well.
on November 9, 2012
Let your imagination run wild with The LEGO Adventure book: Cars, Castles, Dinosaurs & More! This is a big, impressive book that every Lego lover is going to want to get their hands on. All 200 pages are filled with large, glossy, colorful photographs to inspire and amaze.

The first chapter shows you, step by step, how to set up a home base. The LEGO avatar, Megs, says she's calling it the idea lab. Then it's on to the LEGO town. Here Megs meets Craig, the aircraft parts manager. He shows Megs (and the reader) how to build a San Francisco-style cable car, coffee shop, zoo buggy, bridge, two-story house, and garage. The house could be a bakery or store instead--it's all up to you.

Once the garage is done, you're ready for hot rods and cool rides. These are impressive vehicles, complete with exposed engines to show off your craftsmanship.

Do you prefer flying? You won't be disappointed as Jon demonstrates how to construct the Skywolf, Gryphon, Scarlet Fury, Viper, Skyhammer, and Steel Wind. Jon offers a good building tip: "Make sure that your minifigure can fit into the cockpit before you build too much of your place!"

Throughout the book, helpful building tips guide the LEGO builder. For example, in the chapter showing how to build the action figure Counterbalance, the tip says, "Of course, your mecha doesn't have to have two identical arms. How about adding a rocket pod or a power sword instead?"

Each chapter is designed by a different avatar, which are representations of the actual LEGO enthusiast from an international community.

This book has something for everyone. If you prefer medieval, there's a whole village, complete with hilltop tower, castle, market, woodsman's cottage, and even a stagecoach.

There's so much more, but you get my drift. Everything from a train to a thinking tower is here. Your creativity is guaranteed to be bumped up with the abundance of ideas. Whether you're new to LEGO building or an experienced engineer, you'll be delighted. Both my husband and our grandson loved this book. I suggest picking up at least two: one for yourself and one to give as a gift.
on December 9, 2012
I recently had an opportunity to delve into some incredibly fun Lego guidebooks-- and this one is easily my favorite.

I've always wished I could look at a pile of LEGOs and see all of the creative opportunities, but honestly I need some guideposts. This book is a colorful, imaginative introduction to some very buildable, very creative projects. Each is approachable, not overly complicated-- but they're still projects I wouldn't have dreamed up by myself. A great place to start.

I recommend this for LEGO fans of any age, especially those like me who love the sets, but need a little more hand-holding when it comes to free builds. Great for kids, but fun for adults (like me!) as well.
on November 4, 2012
The Lego Adventure Book, Vol. 1: Cars, Castles, Dinosaurs, & More! is the title of this lovely, large-size, hardback book, and this book is AWESOME. Okay, now that I have that very important bit out of the way, let me tell you more.

Written by Megan Rothrock (truly an AFoL), The Lego Adventure Book, Vol. 1, takes the reader on a clever, Lego-illustrated journey through a myriad of Lego creations. The format is comic-like, slightly reminiscent of scenes from the Lego Magazine, where still images are brought to life with the addition of speech bubbles and simple storyline. On that topic, the photography in this book is wonderful. The pictures are clear, crisp, and well-taken - definitely a plus for a book about Lego, where readers may want to see details or attempt to emulate the models.

The story begins with the author's Lego character (sometimes called a "signature figure" or "sigfig") telling the reader about a concept for an "Idea Lab." The reader is then drawn into the story, as instructions are given for the creation of the author's headquarters for building-adventures.

These initial instructions definitely drew me to the book. Below the surface, what was presented was more than the "Idea Lab." It was a very versatile building with unique features in its construction, which could open the door to a whole world of possibilities - just from this first section of the book! Truly, it could be used for a nearly-infinite number of creations.

Instructions for a simple, yet completely customizable, vehicle follow those for the "Idea Lab." By this time, I am not yet a quarter of the way into the book, but I am inspired to build with Lego, even as I read! (I restrain myself, for the sake of this review.) The instructions themselves are clear and easy to understand. Most of the time, they begin by showing pictures of all the necessary parts, separated by color (though the book emphasizes substituting your own color choices, if you lack a certain colored part or want a different design). Each step visually highlights the addition of pieces, in order to make the steps easy to follow. The addition of special building tips helps to clarify or present valuable shortcuts for the instructions.

As the book progresses, the author highlights a number of Lego builders, presenting it as an adventure story to introduce these Lego enthusiasts and their creations. Each of them is presented with a specific genre in which they specialize, along with many pictures of their work and at least one set of instructions. The genres, through which the author takes an adventure, include Lego town, hot rods, miners, planes, science fiction (from buildings to starfighters to mecha), medieval buildings, dinosaurs, Lego dolls, the ever-iconic trains, and steampunk.

In all of my experience with Lego, the Lego dolls were the one genre in which I was not really interested. However, this section actually impressed me the most, as it included instructions on how to build floor mosaics for Lego buildings, which could be used in any creation, as rugs, tiled floors, or courtyard patterns.

The Lego Adventure Book, Vol. 1 concludes with a special look at some creations by Daniel August Krentz, a retired Lego designer and the creator of some of the most iconic Lego sets ever produced. This was truly a special treat and made for a fitting ending to the book. While I do wish the author had ended with her own implementation of some of the ideas, this book remains an amazing piece of work. For all fans of Lego, I cannot recommend this book enough. The photographs and instructions are certain to spark the imagination and flood the mind with ideas for the next Lego building project!
on December 8, 2012
This book shows a lot of cool Lego projects and how to build them, but you can't actually build them yourself. All the projects in the book (at least all the ones I looked at) contain specialty Lego parts that you won't just have lying around, even if you have built a LOT of Lego kits. Maybe there's some way to buy these specialty parts online or something, but that would be some work -- you'd have to be really careful to get exactly the right parts from the vast universe of Lego parts.

So one message the book subtly implies is "You need specialty parts to build cool Lego stuff." Which is not true, but it's what the book sort of implies.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2013
After lucking into buckets of Lego for my son at a yard sale, this book was a godsend. Building any of the clever models in here just impressed the heck out of him. The pictures are lovely. The story is cute. The models are just ingenious.

The space models, the starships, and the dinosaurs were particular hits with my kid.

If you have anyone in your life who is into Lego, buy them this book. They will love it.
on July 30, 2014
If you are hoping to inspire young Lego users, this is NOT the book for them. In fact, this book is an imagination-killer; the format is guaranteed to discourage all but the most advanced Lego builders.

I've just read some of the other reviews, and it's hard to believe that anyone would consider the Lego Adventure books as providing instructions that are "easy to follow." While each book does include a couple of simple projects with step-by-step instructions, all of the big projects (including every one on the cover) are shown with the worst possible format for anyone who is trying to get involved in sophisticated Lego projects.

This book runs counter to all of the standard Lego instructions: instead of providing detailed, step-by-step details that show individual pieces for creating a Lego model, most of the chapters in this book are dominated by photos of projects in progress, with outlines of the lego pieces that have been inserted at each step. The result is almost impossible to decipher; the outlines are complex and frustrating, and the photos on darker models aren't sharp, so they are nearly impossible to use as guides for building a model.

Throughout the book there are cautions (coming out of the mouths of Lego characters) about how the projects are for "experienced users," but since the book is clearly targeted for young users, it's likely that those warnings will be missed.

It's really a shame, because if this book had included standard instructions used by Lego (and which can be created easily using free software, the projects would be great. But for whatever reason, the creators chose to ignore the standard and deliberately made the book complicated and frustrating.

If you're looking for interesting Lego projects beyond those available directly from the company, don't rely on this book; there are hundreds of interesting projects online -- including instructions that anyone can read.
on December 7, 2012
What an amazing book! I looked through this one with my 10-year old, and even he had a blast just looking at the pages. He likes to build by following instructions, so I imagine I'll soon have a fleet of space turtles, or that 76-step T-Rex around my house, soon.

On the other hand, I love the creative side of Legos, so I will probably try to figure out a mosaic, and I'll have to try the piano, too, and see if I can get it right.

Regardless of the builder's age, gender or ability, there is something for everyone. The aforementioned dinosaur, for example, or maybe a starfighter. Perhaps you prefer the woodsman's cottage or the Lego mini-dolls backyard. Whatever your idea of a fun thing to build, this book will give you ideas (not just step-by-step instructions - though those are in here, too) for all sorts of things to build.

Megan has done a first-rate job of collecting and presenting ideas in a fun and imaginative way - and just like Lego bricks themselves, the full-color pictures make it interesting to enjoy! What an awesome book!