5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Lego Enthusiasts

Published on February 11, 2010 by Derek R. Whaley

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Lego Enthusiasts, October 10, 2009
The Klumppster (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this set for my 12 yr old son. I received it yesterday and I must say I am quite pleased with the set. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the colorful pages and skimming over all the mini figures and sets that have evolved over the decades. Viewing the pages provided a bit of nostalgia for me as I was able to share my own memories with my son. This set is great for the Lego Collector or enthusiast. I really enjoyed the overview of the history of Lego along with the timelines and descriptions of manufacturing, etc.

If you are looking for "building tips" or "an idea book" this is not the book for you, instead I would look into the purchase of: "The Unofficial Lego Builder's Guide" by Allan Bedford, or the DK Lego Modelers series that have booklets containing ways to create characters using common lego pieces that you may already have in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing visual history of these little bricks!, October 8, 2009
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I had this pre-ordered quite a while ago, and it finally showed up yesterday!
HEAVY, thick hard covers, in an even HEAVIER thick slip cover! Even the "bonus book" about the mini figure is the same wonderful quality. GREAT value for the money!

What a brilliant look a the history of the LEGO brick and the company as a whole. For those looking for new and outrageous models you might be in for a bit of disappointment, as this is more of a visual history. I had so much fun remembering back with all the old sets they showed, and looking at the time line and thinking, "Was it REALLY 20 years ago I got that set for my birthday?"

This book is all about the visual. There is a minimal amount of words per page, but they do a wonderful job at describing what is going on, and leading us through the journey, and not taking away from the well laid out pages.

One other review complained that this was a "glorified catalog", but how else would you like to display almost 300 pages of toys? ANY book about a 50+ year line of toys will come off a bit catalog like, no matter how much you try to avoid that. I for one give kudos to the authors from cramming in so many sets and making sure the name and year of each set shown is displayed. These names and date help link the items to the time line, as well as give me a starting point to try and find an old copy of a set that this book brought out fond memories of!

I love new and exciting builds as much as the next guy, that's why I am a Brick Journal subscriber (the compendiums are available here on Amazon, and well worth the money!), this book is not meant to do that. This book is a visual history of the entire LEGO system up to today. The book even included the current Space Police and Power Miners lines, and mentions the new Disney lines coming out next year, so you know the information is as up to date as possible in print form!

5.0 out of 5 stars The LEGO BOOK,So good,I bought another, October 7, 2009
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I had this on order,for a long time,delivered yesterday,and it was worth the wait.
This is 2 books in a slide in case and the quality is fantastic.One book on figures
and building kits,and the other telling of the history of lego.Photography is stunning
and the layout of both books is first rate.As you go through the pages,the images of
supersized lego figures are a visual treat.As this was a gift for my grandson,who loved
it,I ordered another the same day for myself,an owner of a 9 ft. Lego castle display
with over 400 figures!

2.0 out of 5 stars The History of Lego from 2000, February 11, 2010
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I've now read in their entirety both the Lego Book and the Minifig Book which form the core of this collection. As a collector of Legos since their heyday in the late 1980s (think Pirates) to the present, I've seen a lot of Lego memorabilia. When I received this book collection for Christmas, I was really, truly hoping that DK was intending to focus on the complete history of Lego and the Lego minifigure. Sadly, I was mistaken.

Don't get me wrong, the books are beautifully illustrated in full color on quality paper in a cute little collectors box. But in the end, I feel rather let down. For the main book, I was let down by the content. The book focused on the history of Lego for the first dozen pages or so but then switched to the individual themes. I was actually okay with that. I mean, if you want to see the complete line of Legos from the 1950s to the present, buy the 2008 set collectors guide. I would have liked to see a bit more of a review of the early town and train themes and how they developed prior to the creation of the minifig, but I was generally okay with the content and quality of the brief history of Lego.

The theme sections are what really got me down. I know Lego sponsored this DK book but, technically at least, this is not a Lego production. It is independent. It has no Lego set number, no Lego pieces, only pictures. Yet somehow it is very obvious from the very start that this book was designed and funded by Lego. The majority of the themes have at least one page focusing on the most recent sub-theme of a series. Be it the 2007 Castle line, the 2008 Space Police, the 2007 Clone Wars, or the recent City themes. They are very present throughout this book. What really irked me was the treatment of the Lego Pirates. They dedicate one spread to the 1989-1996 series of Pirates and another full spread to just the 2008 line. That just seems insulting. The 2-year Westerners series is crammed on the same spread as the Adventurers and Time Cruisers. Meanwhile, other lines like Star Wars (1999-present) get four full spreads or more. I couldn't even see examples of some of my favorite Space lines such as M-Tron, Blacktron II, or Spyrius. They just weren't there! The objectiveness of this "Lego Book" is very much in question and I would rather call it the "History of Lego from 2000" than anything else.

My larger gripe, though, is with the accompanying Lego Minifigure book. Where the Lego Book lacked in content, the minifig book lacked in everything except visual appeal. Even at times that was in question, though. As with the Lego Book, the minifig book is in full color and on good quality paper. It fits snugly beside the Lego Book in its collector's box. Yet I have a feeling that significantly less time was spent on this younger cousin of the larger Book. Any editor who read this would laugh out loud. Indeed, I have yet to find a page that doesn't have a spelling, grammatical, or factual error. In almost all cases there are multiple such problems on the pages. Besides being about as non-comprehensive as the Lego Book, barely covering more than the last decade's worth of minifigures, the style of this book is extremely wanting. Many pages I have found odd and hardly interesting facts on the wrong page (the fact that Prof. Snape's head was the first glow-in-the-dark minifig part appearing on the page AFTER that minifig was shown comes to mind). In other places, the same exact minifig appears twice, sometimes on the same page even, often with a different date despite the fact that they are the same exact figure. In other cases, I have found incorrect dates for figures, or even incorrect names. One funny error notes that the Clone Wars in Star Wars took place over 300 years, rather than the canonical 3 years. In virtually all aspects, the minifig book lacks the quality-control checks and editing I would expect from DK. It is as though the people who arranged the hodgepodge of images also created the captions with absolutely no oversight. Were the minifig book sold separately, I would probably demand a full refund from the publisher out of sheer anger at the poor editing of this book. While the visual appeal is arguably good, the writing of some of the poorest quality I have seen in a publication.

So, my advice is to buy this set if you want it purely for the images. It is a great visual feast of Legoness. However, if you expect deep content and a fun jaunt back into the history of Lego, I'd suggest you wait for another book because this will leave you scratching your head asking: "Didn't Lego make more sets before 2000?"

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but a Catalog, June 18, 2010
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
My wife and I are both big fans of Legos, and I bought these books for her, in the hopes of seeing the typically nice job DK does of displaying something's visual history.

Both of these books devote a very small amount of pages to Lego's history, showing woefully few photographs of older Lego sets, Lego sculptures, and related items. The majority of the books is devoted to multiple page spreads of JUST the products which Lego has currently on the market. The photographs of these products are not even very interesting, and could have been lifted directly from Lego's own marketing material, for all I know.

Its a dull work which almost reads like a product brochure, rather than what it purports to be, a tribute to a very fun toy with a long and interesting history.

When my wife looked at the book, she politely asked me to return it, which I did.

VERY DISAPPOINTED

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for any lego collector., October 9, 2009
Andi "andi" (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I have been waiting for this after my boys saw it in the catalog. What a surprise! This is an amazing value for the quality and size of these books. My boys are going to go nuts over these when I give them to them for xmas. It is even better than the 10 year old version that my kids have studied for ages. The amazing photos and facts are just what every collector is looking for! It is definitely more than a catalog.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 striking books for fans, November 23, 2009
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
Overall, the book was great. It has a few minor inaccuracies, but they're negligible. This "book" is actually two books in one slipcover. One documents the Lego Group over the years - from the time that the founder was making wooden toys at the turn of the century to the more recent NXT programmable bricks, etc. The pics are striking, and the information given is interesting. It's by no means an 'academic' book, nor is it a thorough history of the company. It's more of a visual tour. It's fun to flip through the pages and review the models that I had as a kid that have since been long-lost. The minifig book is great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Photography and details will blow your mind if you are a Lego fan!, November 7, 2009
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I began collecting Lego for me about 6 months ago...not many moms have this hobby, but it is a blast. After 15+ years of picking up and sorting the %&**&^%$%^& things, I decided to collect some girlie ones for me....gorgeous pastel ladies who could live in gorgeous pastel houses except when they are under attack by my husband's mean old trolls.
It took about 6 months of reading geeky product listings on [...] to figure out who is who and to whom they are related. Wish I had had the Standing Small minifigure book back then because it is just what I needed to identify and buy the female minifigs and house parts.
The photography of the minifigs is out of this world; we tried taking photos of some of our minifigs, and it is extremely difficult to capture the quality of detail in this book. Also I now know which ladies came in which set, and which guys' bodies would be great for sex changes into lovely ladies. May the fun begin!
The limited text (the pages are mostly filled with photos of Lego) explains how Lego developed in a chronological sequence that brings back happy memories of buying them 18 years ago for my then 3 year old son. The authors did a beautiful job of documenting the introduction of each set and type of Lego.
If you enjoy playing and collecting Lego as an adult, a child or an in between, these two books are a blessing.
For building ideas, read the above reviews as there are other sources more suited for building things not in the Lego sets. Our favorite is Brick Journal, which highlights many incredible creations each issue.
This two-book set is a masterpiece of fine art and history and a very entertaining read. I could not put it down last night when my husband pulled it out of his car as a gift for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 nephew is in love with this book!, November 24, 2009
This review is from: The Lego Book (Hardcover)
I just gave it to him for his birthday today and I achieved my goal which was to buy him a gift he would love. He is glued to this book and enjoying it immensely (to say the least). All kidding aside my only regret is that I gave him the book when I first saw him. I drive two hours to visit him and as we went about our activites he lugged that heavy book everywhere and had his nose poked into it at every lull in activity! Needless to say I did not get his full attention that day but he was in "Lego" heaven. This book is light years better than a catalog, there is no comparision. As an educator, I can see that it also is helping with my nephews reading. There are wonderful pictures, however there is also plenty of text. The balance of text and photos is perfect. I cannot say enough about this book. It was definitely worth the money. I will be buying more Lego books from this publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lego Book so far!, February 19, 2014
This review is from: The LEGO Book (Hardcover)
Our 3, 5 and 8 year old boys love this book - as do all their friends, which is why I ordered multiple as gifts! Would love to find more books like this, which give children ideas to make more things out of general lego pieces as opposed to custom and purpose-built pieces that are used to build only a few specific things.

The LEGO Book
The LEGO Book by Daniel Lipkowitz (Hardcover - August 20, 2012)
$24.99 $17.39