Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The LEGO Movie Videogame - PlayStation 3
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

VINE VOICEon February 8, 2014
The LEGO Movie Videogame does, in every way, live up to the potential shown in the previous LEGO games. You have all the same silliness, the same kinds of puzzles, and so, so many things to unlock. So, basically, if you like the previous LEGO games, and want more of the same, this is for you.

The plot is, as near as I can tell, the same as in the movie. There’s a world of LEGO that’s inhabited by Emmet, a normal, ordinary guy who finds out that he’s “the Special”, and goes on a quest to save the world from the evil Lord Business. Along the way, he meets the likes of Batman, Abraham Lincoln, and every recent Morgan Freeman character rolled into one, and learns that sometimes building outside the instructions is ok. As a special added bonus, all the characters are voiced by the actors from the movie, so you get Morgan Freeman, Will Farrell, Liam Neeson, etc.

And…that’s about it. You’ll beat the main game with about 35% of the actual game completed, and spend the rest of your life unlocking items and characters. Not that that’s a bad thing. You’ll probably also have a lot of fun, because, come on, LEGO video games are, lately, quite awesome. Oh, and I hope you don’t mind the “Everything is Awesome!” song from the movie because it’s going to be your new best friend in this game.

This is an excellent video game for anyone from about five years old on up. I’m forty-one and I still enjoy it, as well as the other LEGO games. The fact that I’m quite into LEGO, and have been since I was a kid, helps in this. But regardless. It’s a fun game, and I highly recommend it.
55 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2014
Caveat: I have not yet completed the game. But I've seen enough so far.

Let's say this first: This is a very fun game. They've added new mechanics that have not been in any previous Lego games, including a swimming mechanic, rhythm-style dancing, and "following instructions". If the voices that are being used during the levels themselves aren't the actual actors from the movies, then they are outstanding facsimiles. If you liked the movie, and you liked previous Lego games, you will enjoy this.

However...

This game feels woefully half-baked. There are fewer levels than any previous Lego game. Each level contains only five "instruction" minikits, rather than the 10 from all previous Lego games, and there are only 70 gold bricks vs the 100-250 of the previous games. The box says 90 playable characters, but half of them are just Emmet in different costumes. The hub worlds are miniscule compared to Lego Marvel, Lego Batman, Lego LOTR, and Lego Harry Potter. And it is clearly a game that is directed more towards new players and younger players, as most of the in-level puzzle solving is rendered moot by every character saying "hey, I can do that!" when one of their specialties appears.

Don't get me wrong. This is a very enjoyable game. Saying it's the weakest of all of the Lego games is still saying it's better than 90% of the games out there. But it's still the weakest of all.
on February 20, 2014
I saw the movie-version on opening night and it was awesome!( In spite of myself, "Everything is awesome" was stuck in my head for a few days.) The video game sticks faithfully to the story. Even if you haven't seen the movie, you'll still understand the story, but I advise you to watch the movie first before playing the game. Playing the video game first will definitely spoil the story for you. The movie has great writing and jokes and a lot of that is missing in the video game.

I've played every Lego game out there and so far, I'd say this is the best (with Lego City Undercover coming in a close second). It is visually beautiful, vivid and oh-so colorful! Everything is made of Lego bricks! While I love the movie-tie in franchises, I also love the fact that Lego created its own story. The beauty of the Lego games is the local co-op and I'm glad it's back with this latest installment. With all the online multiplayer campaigns, I'm glad that I could go retro style and play this game with someone on the couch.

It is a linear story and the hub isn't as vast as let's say Lego City Undercover or even Batman 2. However, this game doesn't veer off from the same Lego mechanics: You solve puzzles and smash stuff and garner collectibles. Additionally, there's a refreshing mini-game where Emmett is supposed to collect instruction pages. Based on these instruction pages, you get to pick out the right bricks when it comes to constructing something. If you do it under a certain time (which is VERY quickly), you win studs. It was fun and something different from the other Lego games.

And if like most folks, you loved the very catchy song, "Everything is Awesome," you're going to love it here, since you get to hear it often. Like most Lego games, this game froze on me. ( I'm not sure if the ps4 version would be any different.)

This game is very short compared to the other Lego games. That said, it was a very enjoyable experience. You get to play as UniKitty, Batman, and so many other characters! In short: If you're a Lego fan, then this is a must-buy. IF you haven't played any of the Lego titles before, then you're in for a real treat! Watch the movie FIRST then revisit your favorite characters and scenes while playing this little gem. Happy gaming!
on May 7, 2014
purchased for an 11-year-old boy's birthday present ... he loved the Lego movie but the gameplay is a bit young for him in this game. Bought it because he LOVES the LEGO star wars videogame so we thought this would be a surefire hit. It was fun, but not worth the $$$ spent, considering how quickly he grew tired of it. Recommend for younger kids for sure, though!
on August 27, 2015
This game is great but can be beat fairly quickly. I have a 7 year old and a 9 year old and they are allowed to play 2 hours of video games a week. They beat this game fairly quickly and were both like "That was it???" I guess I expected more from a Lego video game. They still loved it they just wish it would have taken longer to beat it.
on March 16, 2015
There are just a few aspects we don't LOVE about this game.

1. if 2 people move too far apart it does the split screen which means each player only sees a small section and often can't see what they need to.
2. there are some parts that when played in pairs one person is standing around waiting while it is all 1 player who has tasks to do.

Other than that we loved it and played the entire story section... now on to free play :)
on August 30, 2015
My kids love Lego. We bought this for my son for xmas cause he played it at a friends house and loved it. It was a game the whole family can play and it has some adult humor that I think is over my kids heads, or at least my husband and I laughed and they didn't. Great game. Legos is always a family event.
on September 15, 2014
Very easy to play and completely engaging for kids 5 and up who've seen the movie. Little movie clips are included and make it so much fun. Who doesn't love Legos? Great idea for a game...let's build something.
on September 2, 2014
I've felt like the Lego games have progressed over the years going from title to title, but this one is a huge step back. It is on par with the early Lego games, like the first Star Wars or Indiana Jones and seems a little shorter than most. Also, it is full of bugs and glitches. Most just make it impossible for you to progress in a level, but a few are so bad that they can cause a full system crash. On top of that, it becomes extremely boring after completing the story mode. At that point, you unlock several flying characters and can bypass most of the challenges and puzzles. The designers added lots of invisible walls to prevent the player from cheesing everything. The pants station is a new feature that is kind of cool, which gives characters extra abilities by changing pants, but you acquire these so late in the game that you really don't need them other to fool around in a game you've otherwise beaten.
Final Verdict: if you enjoy Lego games and can put up glitches, this is an OK time waster.
on June 23, 2016
The Lego games are a family favorite for us. My 2 kids and I have always loved playing rounds with each other. We trade off, each taking a turn to complete a level with me. This one is no exception, though now it's just my youngest and I playing. He's a huge fan of legos and the game, and even the movie. I love the puzzle aspect and figuring out different character unlocks. We try to get each Lego game to 100%. This one has been a blast so far but my favorite so far has been the Batman series. This one ranks a 5 on my list but a 2 on my son's.