5.0 out of 5 stars The details you want about this book! Right here....
Okay, folks, here it is, the info you need to know whether to buy this book:

Published on March 10, 2006 by K. Corn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tempting enough
I received this book as a gift for Xmas and was quite excited to read through it as I enjoy PD's cooking show. However, I was really disappointed with the recipes and have only made one of the recipes in a years time.

Published on September 4, 2007 by HSP

5.0 out of 5 stars The details you want about this book! Right here...., March 10, 2006
Okay, folks, here it is, the info you need to know whether to buy this book:

1. First off, there are sections full of family stories. If you like cookbooks which contain slices of the cook's life and you already are intrigued by Paula and her sons (aren't they handsome?!), then you'll get more info in this book. She doesn't explain how her sons manage to eat such rich desserts and stay thin and handsome but perhaps they'll come out with another book about that.

2. The recipes are excellent, from Gooey Butter Cake to Banana Cream Pie. Yes, they ARE rich and very sweet, so if you're dieting or watching your carbs, this isn't for you.

3. Finally, to really get a feel for the book, use Amazon's "Search Inside the Book" Function. Read some of the anecdotes, look at the Index. It provides valuable info about this book. Use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Desserts - It's The Best, December 1, 2002
By A Customer
This is an excellent book for anyone who loves to create desserts. Presented in the friendly, southern Savannah style, it's fun to read, and even more fun to cook from. Filled with delightful human interest stories to accompany the recipes, it's entertaining reading even for those of us who just want to "get to the recipe, already".
As one would expect from a recipe book from this Savannah epicurian restaurant, the book contains many elaborate recipes for delectable confections. The pleasant surprise is that it also contains a wealth of simple desserts, many from just the ingredients typically found on the pantry shelf. What dessert cook is not always looking for special, easy-to-prepare dishes to delight the sweet palette.
Paula Deen does a great job of taking restaurant quantity recipes and cutting them down for home use. In fact, the quantities tend to be small, so feel inclined to double the batch size, because whatever is prepared from this book won't last long.
The book contains:
* Introduction and Family Story
* Hints & Tips (very good info for even the seasoned chef)
* Cakes
* Pies
* Cookies & Bars
* Puddings & Custards
* Candy
* More Sweet Things
* Metric Converter
* Good Index (very important, and annoying when missing from a book)
Bon appetit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Southern Sweetness, February 1, 2004
Ms. Deen has put together a simple yet delicious group of desserts that ooze Southern charm. A lot of these I remember from growing up and others just look delicious. I have made the signature Gooey Butter Cakes and many of the cookies. The Stick To Your Mouth Chocolate Cookies are sinful! Anyone interested in either Southern Desserts or just easy to prepare, delicious ends to their meals must purchase this book. You won't be disappointed at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful dessert cookbook!, October 27, 2003
By A Customer
This is a great cookbook if you want good, but not complicated recipes. The Not Yo Mamma's Banana puding is so good and so easy. The book is charming as is it's author. I plan on trying many of the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Okay but......, June 19, 2003
By A Customer
Since I love her other two books I finally bought this one to complete my collection. I was a little disappointed to find that at least 5 of the recipes could be found in my other two cook books by her. However, being a big fan I'd have to say that is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, I've never taken home any leftovers when I bring one of her desserts to potlucks or work and always get asked for the recipe. I'm pretty well rounded as a cook so if you like to "create" fresh desserts from scratch, this isn't the book for you. There's a lot of desserts made from convenience foods (cake mixes, prepackaged cookie dough, etc). It works out for me though because I get great results with little effort...(important when you work full time and have a little baby!). My advice would be to start with her other two cookbooks first and buy this one last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Desserts for the fun of it, May 17, 2002
ChefGinger (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Cooking is truly my passion. I read Paula's book from cover to cover and couldn't wait to try some of her goodies. I came across a couple of recipes that were missing a step or item, but had no problem in making the adjustments. This book's a great choice for cooks, wanting to impress guests with tasty desserts. and the recipes are easy to follow. There's something special for everyone's taste. Thank you Paula, just for the fun of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not tempting enough, September 4, 2007
HSP (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews

The biggest disappointment to me is the use of processed cake mixes and pie crusts. I can't cook to save my life but I can bake really well and there's a reason I do it ALL from scratch. :) Because many of the cakes call for premade mixes, I'll never bother to make them.

I think the rest of my distaste is simply that the recipes don't really appeal to my personal tastes (much to my surprise). I'm not a big fan of coconut, chocolate or bananas. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!!!!!, March 19, 2006
I love Paula Deen and this book is great!!! Simple and DELICIOUS recipes for desserts!!!! It's my all time favorite!!! The 'Gooey Butter Cake' is truly unbelievably good!!! My husband took some in to his work and all the ladies were asking him for the recipe! I let my husband take my book to work the following day and the ladies were going to make a copy of the recipe. But after looking through it, they realized they wanted all the recipes and decided to buy one themselves! I highly recommend this book to all!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, January 13, 2008
S. D. Fischer (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was very disappointed by this book. There were very few photos (16 pages of photos for 120+ recipes). I expected higher class recipes from a restaurant (less use of canned Pillsbury biscuits, brownie and cake mixes, jarred ice cream topping, frozen whipped topping, and saltines). And way too many recipes call for coconut (with no note of possible substitutions or omissions).

I bought this book for my mom. I hope she likes it more than I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptous, May 18, 2006
I absolutely love Paula and this is the first cookbook of hers that I've bought. The book has a great layout (cakes, pies, cookies, bars, etc.) There are a few pictures (they are not on the same pages as their recipes) that make me want to bake even more! Everything in the book sounds so delicious but the thing that really got me was her pound cake. Now she has about 5 or 6 pound cake variations - I tried the cream cheese variation. Over the past 6 months I have been searching for "the" pound cake recipe and have tried a ton of different ones always with disappointment. When I tried Paula's I kept my expectations low and I was blown away!! It actually tasted like pound cake, not too sweet, not to floury--just perfect!!! I can't wait to try the rest of her recipes, for each ten I looked at I would deffinitely try at least 8 and consider the other 2! A minor disappointment is that some of her recipes call for pre-made cake mixes. Although it is great for cutting down on time I suppose, I don't see the sense in putting pre-made mixes into a cookbook. Still doesn't take away from the flavor or temptation of her desserts. Excellence!

The Lady & Sons Just Desserts: More Than 120 Sweet Temptations from Savannah's Favorite Restaurant
$24.99 $17.99