5.0 out of 5 stars People and animals in rural Vietnam
"The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam" is written by Huynh Quang Nhuong, and includes illustrations by Vo-Dinh Mai. A short author bio at the end of the book notes that Huynh was born in Vietnam and eventually moved to the United States. This book is a wonderful account of growing up in rural Vietnam.
Huynh describes his life in a village on a riverbank,...
Published on January 19, 2003 by Michael J. Mazza

3.0 out of 5 stars not really for kids
This book, though definitely interesting, is not as kid-friendly as I thought it would be. Though some chapters are funny, others are quite disturbing and gruesome. It is also not very well written. The chapters are disjointed, different tales within chapters are not made to flow together, and the end simply 'ends'; there is no final summery, no statement of the author's...
Published on June 28, 2010 by S.K. Wells

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars People and animals in rural Vietnam, January 19, 2003
This review is from: The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy Book) (Paperback)
Huynh describes his life in a village on a riverbank, with a jungle and mountains nearby. The book is divided up into several short vignettes that describe the lives of the people and animals of this world. Although the danger and violence of some sections may be upsetting to some readers, I get the sense that the author is trying to present a truthful portrait of rural life.
There are accounts of many interesting people, such as Huynh's opera loving, karate fighting grandmother. But I was particularly fascinated by the many accounts of the domestic and wild animals of Huynh's homeland. I loved the descriptions of animal behavior and the accounts of the interactions between animals and people, between animals of the same species, and between animals of different species. We meet monkeys, otters, a fearsome crocodile, and many other creatures. It's a rich tapestry of life that is described vividly by the author. One of the most memorable animal characters is Huynh's water buffalo, Tank, a creature of great strength, loyalty, and courage.
This is a wonderful book that is written in a very effective, straightforward style that is ultimately quite poignant. It's sort of like a Vietnamese response to Laura Ingalls Wilder's beloved "Little House" books. I recommend "The Land I Lost" to readers of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for boys and girls who love nature and adventure, August 4, 2008
I couldn't put this book down, and now that my 9 year old is reading it he can't either. It is an autobiographical story written from Quang Nhuong Huynh's childhood in the jungle of Vietnam.

What struck me the most about this book was the author's deep connection to all generations of his family (mother, father, sister, grandmother, cousin) and his extensive knowledge of the natural world in which he lived. I learned so much about so many creatures I have never encountered. I kept wishing the book had been longer.

Quang Nhuong Huynh lead such an interesting life. I would like to know more about his adult life and army service with the South Vietnamese. Sadly, that will not be possible (even though he has several unpublished pieces), as I found that he died in 2001.

For those parents who don't review books before their children read them, you may want to know that opium is mentioned in the book. It was not at all offensive, actually quite interesting. But I wanted mention this in case your children start asking questions about opium.

5/1/10 Edited to correct spelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars The land I lost , written by Huynh Quang Nhuong( Author), January 15, 2004
trevor savage (Ellensburg, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This Adventure story is full of dangerous fun and sorrow. Huynh Quang Nhuong lives in a small hamlet (village)in the central high lands of vietnam. The hamlet he lives in has a jungle on one side in which they must watch for jungle cats, lone hogs and the most dangerous the horse snake. And on the other is a river which Crocodiles live in. Many of the crocodiles are man eaters like mister short. In the begin of the story you meet Tank the Water bufflo. Tank isn't your regular water bufflo. He is bred between a lowland female because it would be patient and A moutainous bull so it would have the fierce fighting able.
The reason I choose this book was because love the outdoors. when I six years old I live in a village in Alaska and I hunted and fished all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Land I Lost, May 3, 2000
Brad Craycroft (Sacramento, California) - See all my reviews
I am a student teacher in the University of California, Davis credential program and am currently student teaching an English Language Learners class at Florin High School in Sacramento. I decided to use The Land I Lost in my classroom because I interact daily with many Vietnamese students who are able to relate to the material. This book lends itself to many activities dealing with plot and theme. For example, our class composed graphics from chapter 3, The Lone Wild Hog, portraying the theme of the individualism versus collectivism. Together, we are learning about the Vietnamese culture, and about each other. This book has been a wonderful experience for us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Land I Lost, May 3, 2000
Brad Craycroft (Sacramento, California) - See all my reviews
I am a student teacher...(and) am currently student teaching anEnglish Language Learners class... I decided to use The Land I Lostin my classroom because I interact daily with many Vietnamese studentswho are able to relate to the material. This book lends itself to many activities dealing with plot and theme. For example, our class composed graphics from chapter 3, The Lone Wild Hog, portraying the theme of the individualism versus collectivism. Together, we are learning about the Vietnamese culture, and about each other. This book has been a wonderful experience for us all. END

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Hamlet, July 9, 2000
By A Customer
The Land I Lost, by Huynh Quang Nhuong.(Reviewed by a 7 year old girl) This is a well written book, but still not my favorite book in the world. These stories from the author's childhood memories are fun, funny and sometimes heartbreaking. The book takes place in a small hamlet in Vietnam before the war. The author remembers adventures with the villagers and with various animals, particularly a special water buffalo named Tank. The several pictures in the book help to bring out the story. There is a great scene where the author and his sister catch some little birds. I won't tell you any more. Oh, if you are not comfortable with the death of animals and some villagers from snake bites and wild boar attacks, then I wouldn't recommend this book. All in all it's a pretty good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Land I Lost, January 11, 2000
By A Customer
A collection of stories from the author's boyhood memories of a small hamlet in Vietnam. He does a good job of describing the carefree life of a young boy in Vietnam. Very good histrical book with excellent black and white illustrations. Recommended for students in the 4th through the 9th grades. Also recommeded for teachers of these levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Interesting of The Land I Lost, December 16, 2003
Ananda Sudharto (New Delhi, India) - See all my reviews
The book that I've read was "The Land I Lost" by Huynh Quang Nhuong. This book takes place in Vietnam where the Vietnam War was still on. The story that had been told on this book was reality. The author of this book is the main character in this book and he experienced how to survive in a village where there are dangers. This book was telling about how it feels and what danger to live in a village a long timed ago. Huynh was still a little kid at that time and he lived with his grandma, grandpa, and his cousin. There are some dangerous parts where he and his cousin have to deal with the wild hog, python, horse snake, crocodile, and other animals. He also had a friend and it feels like a family, which is a bull named Tank.
I like this book because I'm interested on how the people from past live. I found that this book is good for all of ages, especially for those of you who are still using English as a second language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic to an extreme., January 4, 2006
I am the daughter of a Vietnam veteran and my entire life I have grown up hearing stories of how dreadful it was to be there and how scary it was to be in a foreign land. Quang Huynh gave me a new perspective on this foreign land and made me see it as a very unique place with his relationships with his animals, family, and insight into his culture. This book was terribly sad, and at times it is a bit too real for one to handle. It is very well written and the stories are captivating. I reccomend everyone read it for a rare insight on Vietnam before the war.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Land I Lost, December 17, 2001
Dacia Floyd (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Land I lost is a book that Ithink is very true. Meaning the book really tells you about how this boys life was like. The Author shows death,being scared, and friendship. All the adventures this boy goes on in the story teach him a life long lesson, and this book didn't just teach him a lesson, me as the reader learned a few things about farming and vietnam.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy Book)
The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy Book) by Quang Nhuong Huynh (Paperback - November 4, 1986)
$5.99