Once I read 'What Alice Forgot', I immediately purchased this, as well as every book by Ms. Moriarty. Her character development, her humor, her story-telling skills are the best I have come across in a very long time. I consumed each book, one right after the other, dreading reaching the end, yet unable to stop. I highly recommend this book and this author.
Published 16 months ago by J. Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work....
Published 9 months ago by Lisa L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh how I wish there were twenty more books by author, Liane Moriarty, March 25, 2013
J. Lee (Sarasota, FL) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, June 15, 2006
This review is from: The Last Anniversary: A Novel (Paperback)
This was a great book, which kept me up till 2:40 am! I enjoyed Liane Moriarty's previous book, Three Wishes, but this was so much better...a fully realized family drama. It's the story of the Doughty family, who live on the secluded Scribbly Gum Island off the coast of Australia (near Sydney), and the Munro Baby Mystery. In 1932, a baby was found in a kitchen with a cake cooling on the counter and some blood on the floor. Two sisters, Connie and Rose, decide to raise the baby, and the mystery is never solved. Not publicly, anyway.

Another main character is Sophie, who dated one of the Doughty men for a time. When Connie dies near the beginning of the novel, she leaves her house on Scribbly Gum Island to Sophie, who always secretly coveted it, and Sophie becomes a part of the family.

All the characters were fascinating - dreamy Rose; snappy, determined Connie; sweet, lovable Sophie; and the devastatingly attractive Callum. I did think the ending was a little unfair for Sophie, but it was a really engaging read. Moriarty has a lot of great insights into human nature and the human condition.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best work...., October 6, 2013
I bought this book after reading "Husband's Secret." I thought that book was wonderful, so I had high expectations for this novel. Sadly I was disappointed. I think the most aggravating thing about it was the rapid switching between multiple characters' points of view (without identification at times.) It was disorienting at times. Additionally, I didn't find several of the story lines very compelling. I'd recommend one if Moriarity's other works instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful storyteller brings Oz to life!, September 18, 2007
This review is from: The Last Anniversary: A Novel (Paperback)
I read THE LAST ANNIVERSARY before reading Liane Moriarty's first novel, THREE WISHES, and it got me completely hooked on her writing. Some authors seem to write basically the same genre book over and over again, but Liane Moriarty is not one of them. This novel is quite different from THREE WISHES: a bit more complex, more of a mystery story, and with some darker edges. The subplot in LAST ANNIVERSARY about Grace's post-partum depression quite literally gave me chills. And I didn't see the Munro Baby Mystery's resolution coming, which is a pleasant surprise when you have read as many too-predictable mysteries as I have. I loved the uniquely Australian setting and became completely absorbed in this story, which took me right into the lives of everyone connected to Scribbly Gum Island. If you have not yet discovered Liane Moriarty, don't wait: She's the best thing to come from Australia since Yellow Tail wines!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her others., December 10, 2012
I liked this book. But if this is your first Liane Moriarty, then start with "Three Wishes" or "The Hypnotist's Love Story."

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but somewhat strange, January 11, 2014
This is not a poorly written book, nor a bad book. It just seemed "strange" to me in some ways. I couldn't figure out why we jumped around from character to character at first, but that works out in the end. Throughout the book, there are occasional short chapters that stand alone and don't seem related--but then later on, you can tell why they were there. I personally found this just odd... but not everyone will.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, November 2, 2013
After reading The Husband's Secret I looked forward to reading other books by this author but I was a little disappointed by The Last Anniversary. Seemed very light-weight and silly at times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, January 15, 2014
This book had a lot of promise, but it fell flat. It was often silly at times but I was hopeful that the characters would evolve. They didn't. And the end was very disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last Anniversary, January 12, 2014
betty vanerstrom (DEERFIELD, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This is the fourth book of Liane Moriarty that I have read...If I like the first book of an author, I tend to follow through and read all their books.

I loved 'The Husband's Secret' and 'The Hypnotist's Love Story'. I was luke warm about 'What Alice Forgot' . Just finished 'The Last Anniversary'. Held my interest at times, however, by the end there were too many loose ends...Almost, as if the story was not completed and maybe there was going to be a sequel !

I have now decided not to read the fifth book 'Three Wishes'.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky story, January 12, 2014
Carl Francis Creeden "Benchdog" (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
The story just went on & on & on so much that I found myself skimming through just to get to the end. I read "The Husband's Secret" and found that book so much better. I love Liane Moriarty's writing she really has a knack for developing her characters so well that you feel like you know them. The story line in "The Last Anniversary" is great the characters are funny, kooky & complex but think the story was getting drowned out by the character development. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.

The Last Anniversary: A Novel
The Last Anniversary: A Novel by Liane Moriarty (Paperback - June 24, 2014)
$15.99 $9.99