Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer (Book 3)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 17, 2007
The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer is a great follow-up to the first two books in this series. Just like it's counterparts, Soul Stealer kept me on the edge of my seat with terror, while at the same time wanting MORE, MORE, MORE! I was a bit apprehensive when I got the book, wondering how Mr. Delaney could possibly come up with new ideas, but as usual, he did not disappoint! As usual, I was terrified of going into my basement alone after I read this! This series is fantastic for adults and kids (10 and over) alike, especially for anyone who likes to be scared! My eleven-year-old son has read the series and cannot wait for the next book to come out. I just can't wait to see what kind of trouble Tom Ward will get into next! Keep up the GREAT work, Mr. Delaney!
on February 19, 2008
The Last Apprentice series, while dark and sinister, has many white knuckle scenes, leaving you holding your breath with anticipation. Delaney is masterful, his fine crafting of words creates a world far different from other fantasy/horror writers. The beyond-sinister witches and other creatures make you want to take that running jump into bed at night, in case there is something underneath that may just grab you. I never know what to expect next, his many twists and turns in the plot leave you amazed and wondering where he is leading you. My son and I are huge fans of his books we can hardly wait for the next installment.
on February 1, 2015
I enjoyed the third book in the Last Apprentice series. Winter is coming. It is time for the Spook and Tom Ward, his apprentice, to leave Chipenden and head to Old McGregory's winter home.

This was a very revealing installment in the series. We get to learn more about Meg, a witch from the Spook's past. We also get to see Meg's sister. These two women are very dangerous witches. The problem is Meg was someone the Spook cared about. He's never been able to bury her the way she should have been buried.

In the cellar of the winter home the Spook has three witches locked up behind iron bars. When they get out, Tom Ward must figure out what to do next . . . Only the trouble doesn't stop there. Morgan, one of the Spook's old apprentices (an apprentice the Spook had to fire), is trying to conjure great evil from the depths of Hell.

Morgan wants Tom's help -- and blackmails the young apprentice. Morgan instills doubt about the Spook into Tom's mind.

Facing dangerous witches, an evil ex-apprentice and growing doubt about who he can trust, Tom Ward finds himself to trying to figure out what is what, and who is who . . . With the help of Alice, a witch his age, a friend he is conflicted about having (since his job is to capture, bind and bury witches), Tom moves forward, out of childhood (thirteen years old) into young adult hood.

A great story. I love the visits to Tom's family. The friendship between Tom and Alice, and the numerous dangers that are constant between the pages. Joesph Delaney writes very simplistically, but does not hold back on the darkness and horror. So far, the series is quite entertaining. I will now move on to read, Attack of the Fiend, Book 4. . .

Phillip Tomasso,
Author of Damn the Dead and Blood River
on June 21, 2012
Tom Ward, the local spook's apprentice, must journey to the spooks second house in Anglezarke as the winter approaches. A strange cloaked figure appeared for the spook prior to their departure, saying that the spook had something that belonged to him. This encounter changed the spooks behavior and so they journeyed to Anglezarke. It's a bleak and depressing area, and the house isn't exactly welcoming either. The spook decides this is a great time to separate Alice, as he dislikes witches and spooks being together. It just doesn't fit. He sends Alice to a farmer's house, where we later learn that it's also where Morgan lives a few nights a week. As the days go by, Tom accomplishes his usual routine with household chores and spooks training. Although the spook has added a special demand. Tom must give Meg, the Lamia witch, a dose of potion everyday so she does not remember the past. This twist creates doubts and intrigues Tom to search the full story on Meg and her relationship with his master, but the dark is rising and Morgan is desperately searching for the grimoire in the spooks possession. Tom and his master must act swiftly before Morgan summons Golgoth, one of the old gods, and takes over the county!

The third book of the series was by far the most interesting and plot twisting! You find out another side of the spook, other than his old, grumpy, business like attitude. I did enjoy the increase of reference to the "old gods" they're very interesting and they add a thrill to the usual spooks business. Book 3 seemed to me as very emotional in many chapters and we did see the relationships between numerous characters. I hate to think it, but for me, the spook seems to be getting old and I doubt he's going to last very long through the series. I just hope he can complete Tom's training before the dark consumes the world. Anyways, Book 3, for me, was the best so far and I'd recommend it for anyone who's into adventure/fantasy or has read the first 2 books and doubt the third. It's a great purchase if you ask me, and I liked every chapter of it! I will be awaiting book four with anticipation and hope it gives me as much pleasure as this one!
on October 22, 2012
This is the 3rd book in The Last Apprentice series. Tom and Mr. gregory will be going to The Spooks desolate winter house in Anglezarke. There Tom will learn more on Meg and the soft spot Mr Gregory has for her, Golgoth, an old God of winter, and the truth of who Morgan is. All Tom knows of him is that he is one of Mr. Gregory's appentices and he is a Necromancer.

These books just keep getting better with each installment. Ive seen reviewers make the statement of how Tom hasnt changed much. I think since the "actual time" taking place in the book is going at a slow pace it would make sense that he hasnt changed much. Tom does get braver as he faces different aspects of "the dark" with each installment. His relationships with the secondary charachters also grow especially with Alice. What would Tom and Mr. Gregory do without Alice??? She and Tom are my favorites and Im rooting for them!!! Also I love the relationship Tom has with his Mam. I cant wait to see her secrets unfold...and what she has in those trunks.
on December 17, 2007
The book continued along nicely with the series. It was good to see more into the past life of the Spook. Can't wait to see what the apprentice finds in his mom's room in the next book of the series.
on August 9, 2015
Quite a good read. I only have a problem with the price of each book going up as the story continues. I like thr story line but unfortunately I'm stopping now because $8.99 for the next book is too steep.
on April 16, 2016
the Spook and his apprentice move to his winter abode near the Angelzarke moors. they bring Alice with them and she goes to work at the Hurtz's farm. But the Spook and Tom are forced to deal with one of his former apprentices, one who turned to the dark. and it is winter and evil does not sleep.
on September 2, 2015
YA which will appeal to a wide ranger of readers. Delaney is outstanding at world building, which is necessary when writing about the supernatural and unique events. :) He is so factual in providing setting, characterization and storyline that the reader feels as if they have terra firma under their feet. He establishes trust and plausibility in his story and characters, which in turn lets the reader relax and enjoy the developments. His ability to create suspense is unparalleled. Thomas Ward is an engaging protagonist, and his mentor is an intriguing character as well. The momentum of the story builds continually, and I stayed up far too late into the night reading "just one more chapter". I would heartily recommend this book to anyone looking to engross themselves in another world.
on March 30, 2016
My son loves this series. He's in 6th grade, and I find that it's a good reading level between easy grade school stuff and Tolkien. He read the Ranger's Apprentice in 5th grade and this is a few steps up from that level.