5.0 out of 5 stars This book has everything!!
Published on August 14, 2009 by N. S. Harman

Published 2 months ago by The Book Slug

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has everything!!, August 14, 2009
Although some of the names were difficult to sort out at first, the story moved along well enough that I was able to keep up. It wasn't long until I was totally engrossed in this magnificent tale. Everything a good book should have was included; love, hate, jealousy, murder, poisoning, bloodletting, betrayal, magic. religion, potions, drama and tragedy. It is, of course, based on a real event in history, and by fictionalizing it, it made for a wonderful reading. I would definitely recommend it even if it weren't a free download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kindle edition of the book, June 19, 2011
If ever there was a novel which told a most wonderful tale of a doomed city, it was "The Last Days of Pompeii" by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Pompeii was a city in Campania of Italy that was in buried under ash by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. Despite the rapid progress of the eruption, many people escaped death by sailing away in boats. "The Last Days of Pompeii" tells a story which takes place before, during and after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.

The main characters of the novel are Glaucus, an Athenian, Ione, the woman he loves, and Nydia, his beautiful slave girl. Nydia, for me, was the most romantic female character of the book. She is blind but can sing beautiful songs. Although Glaucus is in love with Ione, I wished when I was reading the book that he would instead fall in love with Nydia. The villain of the story is a mystic called Arbaces who owns a mansion. Although he has great knowledge, he is despicable to the core. He converts Ione's brother Apaecides to the cult of Isis, but Apaecides becomes disenchanted with it. Arbaces plans to somehow become the husband of Ione, but she wants to marry Glaucus.

"The Last Days of Pompeii" has a gladiatorial tournament which is want one normally finds in a novel about ancient Rome. It also has a witch. The Christian religion makes up an important part of the message of the book. The Christians are portrayed as the good guys.

The final part of the book covers the eruption and the eruption is covered with detail. I don't know if Edward Bulwer-Lytton researched volcanic eruptions before writing the book but his details on the eruption of Vesuvius seem from my amateur knowledge of volcanoes to be very accurate.

The edition of this book which I read on the Kindle is the edition with a blue and eggshell colored cover and it is a perfect edition and I couldn't have asked for a better Kindle edition of this book.

The novel "The Last Days of Pompeii" has a great storyline, great romance and the character Nydia will remain in my memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, April 21, 2013
I got this "free" Kindle classic to read prior to an upcoming trip to Italy. I had briefly visited Pompeii about 12 years earlier on a Naples cruise stop and was going to be returning. I felt this book would refresh my memory while enjoying a fictional story line. While reading it, I kept telling myself I was glad I'd been to Pompeii and could actually visualize the city. I also kept telling myself I was glad I was going back. Plenty of intrigue with Roman politics and plotting among Pompeii's wealthy and decadent citizens provided a good and seemingly accurate background for the culture of Pompeii prior to its Vesuvian demise. Initially, the ancient Roman names of characters, made it bit difficult to keep the characters straight, but not nearly as difficult as Colleen McCoullough's Roman series. I would recommend this to anybody interested in ancient Roman culture, politics, religions, architecture and ruins. And, I highly recommend to anyone who has visited or plans to visit Pompeii.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good vs Evil on the eve of destruction, November 14, 2012
This particular author is known for over-the-top, wordy writing, and he lives up to his reputation with this book. His style takes a bit of getting used to, but it is refreshing in its purity. This book is unabashedly a moral tale; the end result of evil is destruction. Good overcomes. I liked this clear distinction.

His description of the eruption itself suffers because, of course, nobody knew at the time he wrote it what actually caused the rapid and total obliteration of the city. They didn't know of pyroclastic flows, but this is easily ignored.

I don't need a pictorial; I've seen pictures of Pompeii from other sources. My imagination was more that enough to provide visuals. Pompeii is just the setting of the story. The author isn't attempting to be an architect or socialogist or archaeologist.

As to this story as a pitch for Christianity-this is book is mild. I've read many well-known classic books advocating Christianity with a heavier hand than this. In fact, the author chides Christians of his own time more than once through this story for their lack of tolerance (old use of this word) for those of other faiths whom they wish to convert.

The book is free probably because it long ago came into public domain. There is nothing to lose by "buying" it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Story, June 19, 2014
I chose five stars because it was really good the only thing I didn't like was the ending. I would highly recommend this book to whoever is fascinated with Pompeii,Herculanium,& Vesuvius plus the destruction of the cities.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!, April 5, 2014
i loved it so much!
it was so good! if you love the book then you would love the song too! its my new fav book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, April 3, 2014
I felt that this was a plausible and moving depiction of the humanity and tragedy in the destruction and loss of the lauded Pompeii.

4.0 out of 5 stars The story was as engrossing as I remembered it and some of the characters so appealing that I've found myself rooting for the go, November 10, 2014
I've read this book when I was fifteen years old and the story stayed with me till today so I was trilled to see it on kindle.
The story was as engrossing as I remembered it and some of the characters so appealing that I've found myself rooting for the good guys and appalled with the bad ones once more.
Yes the description of Vesuvius' eruption is not exactly accurate, since we have a lot more information of what came out of that volcano in our days, however the description the author does of the houses, baths etc is a plus as it teaches us a lot of the terms they used through the daily life of the characters.
Also the fact that the author went to Pompeii and came up with the background for some of the people's remains (which have been frozen in time so many centuries ago) gave another dimension to the story.
So much better than some of the reading I've been experiencing from new authors...

1.0 out of 5 stars Better to find a copy of Silverberg's Lost Cities and Vanished Civilizations, October 9, 2014
The Book Slug "R Lee" (Martinez, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Having read about the excavation of Pompeii in Robert Silverberg's book (in 1963) Lost Cities and Vanished Civilizations I was excited to read Last Days of Pompeii when I got a copy since it was supposed to be written using information about the actual archeological dig mixed in with the novel. This turned out to be one of the most excruciatingly boring books I have ever struggled through. The most interesting bits of it were recognizing things from Silverberg's book. The rest was so dull I was longing for the volcano to finally explode and take away my misery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Audiobook, April 5, 2014
A historic period in world history where even today more is still being learned and found about the eruption and aftermath.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Last Days Of Pompeii
The Last Days Of Pompeii by Baron Edward Bulwer Lytton Lytton (Paperback - September 13, 2011)
$44.75 $34.70