5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Hope Review
Published on April 3, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the ending to the Warriors series?
Overall, the book was good and held my attention, but it has too many problems. Spoilers follow!

Published on June 6, 2012 by Dreamwriter

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Hope Review, April 3, 2012
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Last Hope (Warriors: Omen of the Stars No. 6) (Hardcover)
I've currently finished The Last Hope, the last book in the Omen of the Stars series, and I have to say that was the BEST book I have ever read! Erin Hunter had a way to bend my emotions, for example I cried, laughed, and even felt sympathy to cats I generally didn't like. Most of all my favorite characters died which to me was a perfect way to end a series (serious tear release!!!). I won't be a spoiler but I have to say, the ending was extraordenary and I liked how the book was spontaneous. All and all, this was my favorite book from the Warrior series. I give high regards if you are anticipating to read this book, I vastly suggest it. GO FIRESTAR!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ties up a lot of loose ends, overall a good book, April 20, 2012
This book had a lot of battle in it and for most readers it may take reading more than once to catch all the details of what happened to every cat. Without giving anything specific away, there were a lot of deaths, many of them permanent (in the sense that the cats spirits were killed). I'd like to think that these cats might have another place they can exist, but that doesn't seem to be what Vicky or the other Erins intend. I find this part of the world created for Warriors to be a bit too final, especially since my favorite Star Clan cat was killed. I think they should at least be able to be reborn as other cats somehow rather than just winking out of existence completely even if nobody knows which cats they are. I suppose that's possible, and I'd rather thing that he or she (not giving anything away) would be able to have a life as another cat somehow even if they could never remember who they were. It would be nice if Vicky or the other Erins would allow that as a possibility.

Younger readers might find some of the battles disturbing because of the deaths involved of beloved characters. This is definitely a book for older Warriors fans.

There were things I liked about this book including an exciting confrontation between Firestar and Tigerstar, The powers of the three being used to protect the Clans, the finding of the fourth cat, which was both surprising to me, and very satisfying as to who it was. I also liked how many of the relationship problems between various characters were dealt with in the novel. Leafpool and her kits deal with their relationship problems, Squirrelflight and Brambleclaw deal with theirs, even Crowfeather discusses his feelings about Breezepelt and his other kits, and also his feelings about Leafpool. Leafpool's status as medicine cat or warrior is discussed, and Cinderheart chooses her destiny.

Even though there were some parts that made me very sad such as my favorite cat's spirit apparently being annihilated, which I don't think he or she deserved in any way, overall I found this to be a satisfying and well-written novel well worth the read.

I wish instead of focusing on series about dogs and bears that the Erins would do more Warriors. I would love to see a series that follows this one even though this seems to be a good ending if indeed it is an ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, April 3, 2012
I actually woke up at three in the morning the day it came out! I couldn't wait for the book to come out. I won't spoil anything because only a mouse brain would give anything away about such an awesome book. But oh well... I'll admit that I cried near the end... read this book or Starclan will never forgive you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars -SPOILERS-, August 26, 2012
I thoroughly regret reading this book. Not in a bad, I hate this book way.
But I used a whole box of tissues way.

Let the spoilers begin.

I hated how it had to go to 70% of the way done, on the Kindle Edition, until the battle begun. Considering there was an adventure Game in this book, that only left 10% of the book for the battle.

That sucked.
When Hollyleaf died, teats when my first tears came out. But when Fallen Leaves came.... there went a lot of the tissues :'D

I loved Mousefur. I really, really loved that cranky elder. She was in EVERY single Warriors book, which made me think she was like, invincible. When she died.... It felt so UNFAIR. I would have let any other character die in her place. THAT used up most of the tissues.

Next went Ferncloud. IT was not too upsetting for me, as she was never really my favorite. But I thought how unfair it was to Dustpelt... more tissues gone xD

Almost done. SPOTTEDLEAF DIED! </3 That seriously broke my heart. Knowing she died, and died again, was baaad. But when I realized her spirit was non-existent now, I used up everything but a few tissues. I could not believe it... Poor Firestar </3

I had to begin re-using tissues once Firestar died. I still don't see how he died though. Was it the lightning or something? 0_0

Overrall... I can't re-read the series again. Not until all this has been erased from my memory, pretty much. I just won't be able to see Firestar in any of the books. I know he's dead. OR Spottedleaf, while she is in Starclan. I know she isn't there anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars This is the ending to the Warriors series?, June 6, 2012

1. Jayfeather found out in the beginning that he needed to find Flametail, but it takes until half of the book for him to finally go find him. He knows he needs to do that and forgets it like it's nothing. Yeah, he's taking care of his Clan and everything, but he can take the time to dream himself into StarClan for a night.
2. All of the main antagonists were practically killed all in the same chapter, on the same page. All the cats, who were destined to kill them...all they had to do was pin them to the ground, and then they all died instantly as if they weren't the ones who came up with all of the highly advanced battle tactics of the Dark Forest. Did the Erins ever hear about Ken Follett's page-turn? Their deaths needed to happen at different times!
3. Spottedleaf really should not have died. She was, after all, killed by another cat in the first Warriors book ever written. But it's even worse this time around, since none of the warriors believe in another form of the afterlife. Honestly, there needs to be something after StarClan. The cats can't disappear into nothingness. They should have beliefs like Native Americans where people live on in the earth, the rain, the wind, etc.
4. The good warriors who died weren't the ones who I expected to die except for Firestar. Mousefur, Ferncloud, Spottedleaf, Hollyleaf...an elder, a queen, a dead medicine cat, a character we haven't seen or heard of forever...are you kidding me? I expected half of ThunderClan to die! I mean, it is the biggest and most dangerous battle for the Clans cats both dead and alive. Every time character names showed up, I shuddered and thought: "Oh no, Brambleclaw and/or Squirrelflight are going to die for sure! Or even Graystripe or one of his kits. Or a mixture of the senior warriors and younger warriors along with one of the apprentices. But none of them died.
5. And really...all of those times that the Dark Forest Warriors were attacking and intimating Jayfeather...why didn't they just kill him? In fact, why didn't the Dark warriors plan a really fatal battle strategy that included killing off all of the medicine cats at the beginning of the battle and prevent their wounded enemies from recovering and being able to charge back into battle?
6. I really hate the part when the Three are telling the Clan leaders their story about the powers. I can understand the leaders believing their medicine cats about the battle and the Dark Forest rising, but...all Dovewing does is tell them what she is hearing inside the Dark Forest. And then she is "backed-up" by Jayfeather who says he can read her mind and see exactly what she's sensing. The leaders are supposed to take their word for it? Honestly, Jayfeather, surely you had the power to share your sight with other cats.
7. I didn't expect the deadliest battle in the history of the warriors to be so disappointing. Like I said before, it didn't seem like the good guys suffered severe losses (except for the loss of Firestar and Spottedleaf), considering the situation. The Dark Forest obviously had the upper hand of having the most deadliest skills ever and could appear invisible to their enemies (it's funny how they are invisible to them earlier in the book and then don't use it as a battle strategy). And the characters who did die, I didn't feel devastated...I was more than ready to say goodbye to Firestar and I could care less about Ferncloud. The ones I really felt sorry for were the ones who died their second deaths. Surely, they shouldn't have been erased from existence without a single trace. Maybe if the Three found out they had a hidden power--one that would banish all dead bad cats to a kind of underworld where they can't reach StarClan or living cats and even their dreams?
8. I didn't fancy the last paragraph. All it did was recite the prophecy, slightly rewording it. "This is how it's always been and how it will always be." Give me a break! None of the characters knew how this battle would end. Plus, it sounded too preachy which is unlike the Erins. Would it kill the them to end their story with simple words like the ending of Harry Potter: "His scar hasn't pained him in many years. All was well"?
9. It didn't really matter that the Three had their powers. Firestar asked Dovewing for battle reports twice during the battle and then that was it. She then fought like any other warrior. Jayfeather...he wasn't using any of his powers at all. All he did was act as a typical medicine cat, at the sidelines. I wanted Jayfeather thrown into a situation where he had to fight alongside with Half-Moon, or put his dream-sight to good use in a totally new way like going into a Dark warrior's mind and distracting them. And Lionblaze...he's the cat who can't die in battle. He probably should have died by refusing to fight for some reason and then resurrected as a normal cat without his 110% too convenient power of totally being alive and well and actually learned how to fight fiercely and cleverly like any other warrior.

Still, I love the Warriors universe, and I thank the Erins for getting me into reading books for fun. Let's hope this next Warriors series is worth reading. And return to the good old days when there were no special powers. Don't get me wrong, powers are exciting, but when only a select few have them, there is an uncomfortable imbalance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning, extremely rushed ending, April 4, 2012
*Very light spoilers (if any)*

I enjoyed the beginning greatly, it was well written just as the previous book was. They tided everything together very smoothly and had me hooked from the first chapter as usual.

However,

As the climax of the book began to strenghten things started to seem rushed. Details were being overlooked (RiverClan was never mentioned again after the pre-battle meeting besides to say how they faired at the end). Besides the ThunderClan cats, no other cats from the other Clans were pronounced dead. Surely ThunderClan wasn't the only one to suffer deaths? What did the Clans do afterwards? So many open-ended questions that were not tied together left me very unsatified.

*SPOILERS*

I did not like how Firestar died. It was never truely explained the cause of his death. Was he striked by the lightening or did the blast kill him?

Bramblestar's nine life ceremony was so rushed I didn't realize what had happened until they started calling his new name. I thought Jayfeather was just introducing the cats they did not touch noses or anything as they have in The Darkest Hour with Firestar.

Dovewing and Bumblestripe I assume are together, wondering who gets the she-cat was a guess at the end and was not truely explained.

There are many more things the rushed ending has dissappointed me with.

*END OF SPOILERS*

All-in-all nothing they have written compares to the first warrior series. They put a real-life aspect into the first series that started to stretch over time from normal farel cats, to cats who fought in dreams, to cats who have powers. The once adult/teen-written book has stretched, I am assuming, to try and keep the old fans attention when we already had it to begin with.

I did enjoy the series very much, the Erins have done a wonderful job with Warriors. Though, if they are writing a Warrior series from the previous Clans, I won't being reading them unless they can bring the realism they once had back. My only wish was that they took their time on the ending.

I hope you all enjoy the book more than I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ending--Disappointing read, April 4, 2012
The Good: I liked who the fourth turned out to be. I liked the ending...not a "happily ever after" for every cat--several do die--but a good ending nonetheless. Several good resolutions to different conflicts. Yes, the Dark Forest is defeated (you knew this would happen) and I liked how that was brought about. The first half of the book was great, very engaging and reflective of the previous books.

The Bad: The last half was incredibly rushed. If you were listening to a person tell the story, you would be completely engaged in the story, then the person telling the story would suddenly say, "Oops, gotta go, here's the run-down on what happened." It was really disappointing. Just about every conflict between cats or sub-plot was brushed over. It wasn't that the end result was bad, it was that the journey there was severely lacking. I got to the end of the book, and instead of saying, "That was awesome!" I was left with, "Well, the ending was okay, but that wasn't much fun." I wish the authors would have taken the time to expound on the ending, especialy the battle, and give as much attention to detail there as they have for the rest of the books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Major Spoiler Alert, August 24, 2012
This book was amazing for the first half. Erin gave the characters the right amount of time to prepare for the battle and me enough time to gather tissues.

But the second half was too quick. Let me show you.

Ok. They are preparing for the battle. Bam! Lionblaze is fighting at ShadowClan. Bam! The Ancients and StarClan are here. Bam! Ivypool is going to WindClan with Hawkfrost and her friends. Bam! Hollyleaf is dead for real. Bam! Mousefur is dead. Bam! Ferncloud is dead. Bam! Spottedleaf is dead. Bam! Firestar is D-E-A-D. You see?

Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit. But it is fast.

I am not a hater!!!!!! I am a fiercely loyal fan!!!!! This was a good book!!!! Thank you Erin Hunter!!!!! I love you Warriors!!!!!!

Fans say yes!!!! More books! More books! More books!

May Starclan be with you.
Berrystar
(female!) Leader of ForestClan

1.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet., September 25, 2012
For 9 years, I have been hooked by the fast-paced elements of the morality, the loyalty, and the self-sacrifice the Warriors series has constantly presented through each novel. In the Last Hope, the series comes full circle to, once more, ride the shoulders of its first hero, and greatest hero. Yes, Firestar. It was fitting that the ultimatum of the Warriors universe should depend on Firestar. And yet, it was fitting that Firestar died saving the Clans. I'm glad the Erin Hunter writers won't release another book of the post-Firestar-era with Brambleclaw as leader. Firestar was the backbone of the Clan and even though he didn't have a large role in the previous 3 series, he was the backbone of the entire series.

This was a fast-paced book. The most fast-paced book of the ENTIRE series. People are not exaggerating when they say the ending was rushed. It was. By the end,the story was mainly just 'telling' and little dialogue. This was supposed to be the most dangerous battle ever, so I was expecting deaths. However this battle lacked any spark, any special fire. The Clans fought as one but not together. The queens and elders couldn't leave their respective camps, so the Clans defended their own separate camps instead of really uniting as they did against BloodClan. It prevented any sense of real unity or the rich detail of a final battle. (RiverClan's fight was left out altogether.) There wasn't much originality with the fight like that of the WindClan invasion. I mean that invasion was spine-chilling, FOUR Clans fighting in ONE territory, then an eclipse to interrupt it? Goosebumps.. Personally, I was stunned by the battle strategy and honestly felt scared for ThunderClan. Cause they had never been that vulnerable.. and the prospect of so many warriors not returning had never been so realistic.
Also many warriors were left out. If all Dark Warriors were fighting, why were there practically only 3 warriors a patrol? C'mon there had to be more than just that. But the most frustrating of all was Firestar's death. Wasn't the book emphasizing that you could choose your destiny? That you could freely choose to accept or reject your path? Just like Firestar chose to venture into the forest. Then how come Graystripe and Sandstorm were prevented from helping Firestar? Oh apparently, it was Firestar's destiny to die at that moment. It would have been different if everyone was occupied with their own fights, but they were just watching their leader lose his last life! I didn't even know how he died.. fire, tree fall?

The series was truly amazing but I just wish the book didn't feel like it was finished just to end it. I'm not a writer, but this is my opinion. If you bothered to read this, thank you. I commend the Erin Hunter writers for a great work of writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Bad Ending, April 22, 2012
I love the Warriors books. I couldn't wait to read this one because the others leading up to this one were so good and it felt there was still so much more to it. I have to say that the first half of the book was good, but then it started to feel as if the rest of it was rushed. I was very disapointed with the ending. Like I said, it felt rushed once the book reached halfway through, and the last battle wasn't how the other books made it sound it would be. I was almost expecting the battle to be a bit... "more". All in all, I liked this book but it didn't have that great of an ending. This is not among my fav. Warriors books...

The Last Hope (Warriors: Omen of the Stars   No. 6)
The Last Hope (Warriors: Omen of the Stars No. 6) by Erin Hunter (Hardcover - April 3, 2012)
$16.99 $12.67