Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on April 10, 2012
A fast paced book that starts off at a sprint and never slows down. This book leads the reader through familiar landmarks in Washington D.C. and New York, and through the unfamiliar arcanum of the Supreme Court and the Solicitor General's office, while drawing the reader deeper and deeper into the intrigue of who was behind the murders of six Supreme Court Justices. Recommended reading for anyone who enjoys legal thrillers.
Jefferson McKenna is the thirty-eight year old Solicitor General of the United States in Anthony Franze's thriller, "The Last Justice." In a shocking prologue, an unknown gunman opens fire in the Supreme Court Building and escapes; when the shooting stops, six justices are dead. This horrible day will be known as Black Wednesday.

The story picks up six months later when NYPD Detectives Chase Assad and Emma Milstein grill McKenna about the murder of his former clerk, Parker Sinclair, who was left lying on a Manhattan street with "the front of his white button-down shirt soaked in blood." The authorities wonder if there is a connection between this case and the aforementioned massacre in the nation's highest court. Meanwhile, the President of the United States has to replace the six dead justices, a potential political nightmare. As if this weren't enough of a mess, someone is attempting to frame McKenna, forcing him to go on the run with his colleague and close friend, Kate Porter. Before long, the FBI enters the mix, with Deputy Director Frank Pacini taking over the investigation, ably assisted by Detectives Assad and Milstein.

"The Last Justice" has a provocative premise and McKenna is an appealing protagonist who is astute, handsome, and has had his share of tragedy. However, the plot is too hectic, with complicated machinations pertaining to cases before the court, a stereotypical psychopathic sadist on the rampage, and McKenna constantly being bruised and battered as he fights for his life. The identity of the mastermind will be obvious to most readers in spite of the abundance of red herrings. There is little character development but plenty of action and a high body count. When the dust settles, we are left with the impression that our most prestigious jurists may have feet of clay; there is enough corruption, adultery, and slaughter to fill three books. Suffice it to say that "The Last Justice" has promise, but the author's reliance on excitement rather than depth prevents it from earning a more enthusiastic recommendation.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
What an amazing book! I absolutely loved it and didn't want the story to end. It's fast-paced and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I highly recommend The Last Justice!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 4, 2013
Thriller writers must be given novelist's licence to tell a tale - but this one has gone so far that it is unbelievable. I always make a reality check before writing a review and this check failed in so many ways. A reality check is important, especially when a book is set around the operation of parts of the US political system that are so well known, even to someone like me who lives outside the US.

I read this Indie book because the plot sounded interesting and it was awash with 5 star ratings. I wonder now if I was reading the same book or if the majority of readers are happy to accept such unbelievable rubbish.

The book started dramatically with a gunman assassinating 5 Supreme Court Justices using a gun already taped under a seat in the courtroom. He missed the Chief Justice who shot back because he was packing a pistol (the ARA would have been very proud of him) but he was killed by security guards because they thought he was part of the attack. The killer got away in the crowd fleeing the gunfire. I should have started my reality check there and then but kept reading.

The story that followed included contract murder, blackmail, bribery, adultery, hidden cameras, hot iron branding and more against the setting of "the United States Supreme Court, the greatest court in the world, in the greatest country of the world" (a direct quote).

IMHO the only part of the book that met my reality check was that six months after the assassinations the US President and the US political system had not yet come to an agreement on the nomination of 6 judges to replace those who were killed.
on June 8, 2012
If you like John Grisham's THE FIRM, you will like this book. I don't think it 's quite as good, however it comes pretty darn close. One reviewer complained of lack of character development, I would rather a book in mystery /thriller genre have strong, plausible plotline and pacing(both of which this book has) than a book with great character development and plodding or weak /implausible story. Should this become a series, this author will be able to develop character as series continues.
on February 29, 2012
I'm not a fiction fan but I truly enjoyed Anthony Franze's The Last Justice. I read the book cover to cover in a matter of hours. Just like watching a season of 24, I literally could not put the book down. It's non-stop, action-packed, prose and story line keeps you guessing until the very end. The Last Justice is exciting, entertaining (I did laugh out loud), and dramatic (in the best way possible). The book is awesome, read it, and buy it for anyone that's interested in the Supreme Court. I look forward to reading many more legal thrillers by Anthony Franze in the future.
on May 22, 2012
I have always been a fan of law thrillers, and this book has become one of my favorites. It has the right mix of action, suspense, and drama to make it a real page turner. If you are a fan of thrillers I would highly recommend reading "The Last Justice". It gives the reader an inside look into the supreme court and is very historically accurate. It also makes you think, what if these events really did take place? How would our country handle it? What if everyone on the supremem court had the same thought process, in what direction would our country move?
on June 17, 2012
For a first novel, I thought this was well done. Though a little over the top with the plot, it poses some interesting questions and gives some insight into SCOTUS and DC. The characters were well-drawn, but I would have liked to be closer to Mckenna and had him in a little more direct danger and have to actually struggle a bit more.

There were a couple of holes that I didn't feel were covered well enough. It's been six months since the assasination and it seems this investigation team is just getting down to business. What were they doing for six months? Also,

The introduction of the NYC detectives who had to go to DC seemed unlikely. Not sure the head of the investigation committee would have allowed that and it's sort of skimmed over.

SPOILER
It might have served the story if it was made clear everything had to be resolved of by the time the SCOTUS nominees were confirmed. This detail made the whole story and reason for the rushed investigation make sense. The way it was written came across as too coincidental for the climax.

All in all it was a good read and I'd definitely read another by this author.
on February 24, 2012
The Last Justice looks great on the outside and is even better on the inside. I tried to guess the ending but couldn't. This book is a great read and would make a great movie. This book was so good that I bought 10 copies for friends and family.

I'm looking forward to Franze's next thriller.
on December 12, 2012
This book would have been better if there were fewer minor characters, the major characters were more developed, and there was less tedious detail concerning the workings of government, polictics, and Washington, D.C.

I understand that some description of the government buildings and streets of Washington are needed for the setting, but I felt it slowed the book down. A lot of the description of the workings of the court was unnecessary to the story. Just glossing over the absolutely essential details would have improved the pacing.

It seemed every chapter introduced at least 4 or 5 more minor characters. This may be how things occur in real life, but in a novel they need to be grey and shadowy, fading into the background while they do the necessary stuff. They don't need names and descriptions of their jobs and suits.

The major characters were interesting, and I would have prefered more character development. I would have liked to see a lot more of Jefferson McKenna's thoughts and emotions, including flash backs and memories of his family. I also had a problems with the names. McKenna's name is too close to Kincaid with several of the same letters. It was confused me at times.

I would have liked to see Milstein described and developed a little more. I was annoyed with the occurence of her father's death at the exact moment she makes a break through in the case. It was too coincidental, created to cause a "cliff hanger."

Parker Sinclair was essentially a deceased clerk, but he apparently had some personality issues. I would have liked that to be emphasized. These are just a few of the major players. Douglas Pratt was another character that needed to stand out in the crowd of characters. I kept getting him mixed up with Parker. Parker and Pratt were both clerks with similar names.

The number of characters got very confusing since they weren't as distinctive as they could have been.

The plotting was good, but very complex. There is a section approximately 80% into the book where the investigators actually discuss "what they know." It is so complex that I was glad for the summary at that point.

I would recommend the book, but it needed to be streamlined in some ways, and fleshed out in others to make it comparable to a John Grisham novel. It's a good first novel. I give it between 3 and 4 stars.