5.0 out of 5 stars I've been tellin' ya and tellin' ya...., March 14, 2000
This review is from: The Last Soul Company: Malaco, A Thirty Year Retrospective (Audio CD)
...about those houserocking good soul & blues folks from Malaco Records outta Jackson Mississippi for over a year now and I bet some of you thought that I totally lost it when I said these are the jams that are really being played in those bluesbars and roadhouse get-togethers. Well here they are, six CDs with some of the best soul and blues jams ever! Eddie Floyd! Dorothy Moore! Little Milton! Bobby Blue Bland! Denise Lasalle! Shirley Brown! Tyrone Davis! Johnnie Taylor! Poonanny! and newcomer Tonya! You have died and gone to heaven! This is IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Music. Incredible Liner Notes. Incredible Box Set., January 10, 2012
This was an incredible find. Amazing, hard-to-find soul music that comes excellently packaged with beautifully-written and enlightening liner notes--a small book, actually--written by Rob Bowman (author of Soulville U.S.A.: The Story of Stax Records). Wonderfully done. I was simply just blown away, song after song, at the power of these songs, the arrangements, etc. Just one example: the Mississippi Fred McDowell track "Red Cross Store" on the first CD (there are 6 CDs, by the way), has to be one of the great blues-rock tracks of all time, in my humble opinion. I had to play it over and over. It makes your hair stand on end. I'm a big fan of McDowell and have most of his early 60's records on Arhoolie, so this was a major find. All of it, though, is top-notch, and as I mentioned well-documented with the accompanying booklet inside. I couldn't recommend this box set more. Your big loss if you don't check it out...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great non main road music, October 26, 1999
By A Customer
great r/b music you will never find at your record shop real grass route soul music