Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 7, 2013
The Murders in this series also had graphic reproductions of material (police report forms) that are essential to understanding the story but are unreadable in the Kindle edition and barely so in the paperback. Readers should not be expected to pay 13 bucks for a defective product even if the book were otherwise worth reading.
I also note that the Editorial Reviews are unspecific to this book and appear to be excerpted from general older comments on earlier series.
Badge were among my favorite Griffins until Junior got involved. The previous 2 were so bad that coupled with this 2nd Kindle edition problem I give up on this series and will not bother again with it.
As far as the Butterworth authored books go only the Argentina Honor series still holds my interest despite numerous errors and anachronisms about characters and events that indicate WEN4 does not read the earlier books in a series before attempting to continue it. And lacks his fathers touch of wry humor and ear for dialog.
My brother still enjoys Men at War spy series (I found the last couple of those OK too) and he likes Pres. Agent though I have given up on those also and since my brother does not read Ebooks I will only buy paper as gifts for him.
I have now definitely removed this joint author from my preorder list and this Badge Series from consideration period and will not buy any book from them without reading many reviews and getting it in paperback from a bricks and mortar shop where I can see if it is worth bothering with.
Disappointing and frustrating to a longtime fan.
11 comment|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2013
I've always been a Griffin fan, but this book is miserably written. For some reason, the authors decided that we would be more interested in reading how the 'bad guys' thought and lived. I didn't actually count pages of content, but the book ignores the protagonists almost completely and spends all its time in fascination with horrific criminals. Griffin has always had a tendency to be fascinated with the social life of criminals and sociopaths, but this book is horrible. The book isn't a police procedural, it's not a mystery, it's not a character drama... It's just boring. Save your money...
on August 18, 2013
As an avid reader (all series, all books) of the Griffin team, I was extremely disappointed with this last effort. Either one or both of them has lost their touch. No suspense, no drama, no character development. Barely a short story, this effort was not worth reading and if I could get my money back on the Kindle version, I certainly would. Shame on you father and son for foisting this on your loyal fans and cashing in on the fat royalty. Shame on Amazon for charging through the nose for this product. I will never pre-order another Griffin novel and will never order another one until I have read the reviews.
on August 6, 2013
This book is plain trash compared to all the other titles in this series. W.E.B. Griffin it appears was just trying to punch out another book. He failed miserably and should be ashamed of penning this poor excuse for a book. I pre ordered this book months ago and anticipated a great book. I was let down majorly. If I was the author I would recall every single book and offer a full refund and pay everyone that read it for wasting their time expecting a good Mat Payne book. I cry foul and leave you with this parting thought the next book by this author better be way better or I will not spend any more money and call him a washed up author. If a Corp novel or any other series came out this scrappy there should definitely be he'll to pay
on August 9, 2013
Sad, sad disappointment. Jumps between story lines seem arbitrary. There are a number of story lines left hanging that are either the result of poor writing or shameless attempts to lure a reader to future issues. They don't work. The Griffin III stuff was always a delight to read. However, since IV has been involved, the quality had spiraled down, horribly I might add (note to the unaware, Butterworth is Griffin III's real last name). Thus, I'm not biting on any further issues of The Badge of Honor series. It has essentially died. I fear the same result for any attempts by IV to continue any of the series of books. Makes you appreciate what a good story teller III was.
on August 19, 2013
Not the normal Griffin book. I have read them all. This one starts five different stories all in different places and doe not END any of then. Very poorly written , I think he "farmed" this book out to a first year freshman at some two yr collage.
on August 16, 2013
By far, the worst W E B Griffin book I have read -- and I have read them all! Simplistic, puerile trash, and I absolutely regret spending the money on it. He has done himself and his reputation a huge disservice.
on August 17, 2013
I hate to be accused of piling on but this much anticipated book was TRASH and must be laying the groundwork for a sequel. For the 1st time since becoming a W.E.B. fan, a book couldn't end fast enough for me. There are so many pages spent on characters that go nowhere, they must be showing up in the next book. My advice is "NO NEXT BOOK"
on September 12, 2013
I love the other Griffin books so I was really looking forward to this one. I guess my comments could be considered a spoiler alert if the book wasn't already spoiled.

There were 3 or 4 stories in this book. As far as I am concerned the only one was the least important story. There is a story about a Philly council member who may get blackmailed in some future book. All the set up is in this book but there is no follow through and certainly no conclusion. There is another possible future blackmail story involving a senator and his staff also only the setup with no additional action. There is a convoluted story about prostitution and murder involving a missing social worker. There is a bad guy who is trying to smuggle drugs without his boss knowing. He is trying to find the social worker and kill her because of some books she has. This gets resolved (very abruptly) with her setting up the bad guy to kill another bad guy in front of Matt Payne and a Texas Ranger. BTW why was the Texas Ranger even in this story? This is loosely tied to an architect forced to smuggle drugs. He gets caught, pleads that he was forced and then there is a one liner at the end about the DA deciding not to prosecute. I guess this was kind of resolved.

The story was kind of moving along and then wham bam hank you mam the story ended in about a page and a half.

I can't wait until the other half of the book is published. Actually I mean I won't wait for the other half of the book to be published. As far as the Badge of Honor series goes I am still trying to figure out how it jumped from the 1960s to the 21 first century without anyone getting older.
VINE VOICEon August 17, 2013
I was disappointed in this latest book. There were so many convoluted story / plot lines that it was hard to keep track of who was doing what. The real hero of the story is not our law enforcement people but a young woman who is frightened and takes things into her own hands and ends up setting up the sex and drug Lords to basically take each other out, without really the help of the police.

Typically I am one that says the victim should go to the police for help. That was what I thought as the story started. But our usual hero appears to be just a side note in this story. He is busy with his vacation, his new boat and his new girl friend. The case comes as a distraction and he never really shows much initiative with it.

What in the world was W.E.B. Griffin thinking.

Please let's get back to your normal writing, your normal wit, your normal great plot development and leave this trivia behind.

Please take time on your next book and give us back the writer we came to love. Don't end poorly by writing second rate books that don't give the readers any enjoyment.