5.0 out of 5 stars Marianne's best yet
In these difficult economic times Marianne Williamson's new book, "The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles" is a refreshing reminder that God's love is the true source of our abundance.

Published 22 months ago by Tim Larison

This is the first Marianne Williamson book I've read, and I was very much looking forward to enjoying her thoughts, and hopefully learning from them. However, I was quite disappointed to find the book referring to money/wealth negatively, and repeatedly speaking lack.

Published 18 months ago by Chris Christian

5.0 out of 5 stars Marianne's best yet, November 27, 2012
Tim Larison (Littleton, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews

"Finance is just one of many areas where an increasingly obsolete, materially based worldview is proving to be inadequate to the challenges of the times in which we live," Williamson writes in the preface of her book. The author's message of God's unconditional love trumping worldly possessions resonated with me. I found myself underlying passages in page after page for future reference (the most words I've highlighted in any book I've read this year).

Williamson is not preaching to us from the mountain top. Similar to her writing style in other books, she is very vulnerable with her own struggles - this time in the financial realm. In "Divine Compensation" she tells a story of how she lost $10,000 early in her speaking career due to poor event planning. "Oh Daddy," she recalls telling her father, "It was such a bomb!" Williamson describes how this personal misfortune taught her a lesson. After consoling words from her father, she relates how she chose to think about this incident was the key to transforming it to positive experience. She could either see it "as proof of utter failure and doom or as an opportunity to forgive myself and attract a miracle." Williamson, in being open with her own shortcomings, gives the reader a sense of being counseled by a friend, rather than being lectured at by a "know it all" spiritual guru.

I wasn't expecting to read about the value of forgiveness in a book about work and money, but according to Williamson a forgiving spirit is essential in attracting our own good. "The universe knows if you were hurt and is already on the case to make right whatever wrong occurred," she writes. "Your anger, if it lingers, throws a wrench in the machine of the miraculous universe." In her view, "no deviation from love - on your part or anyone else's - can keep the universe from its divine intention that your life be one of fullness and joy."

I also liked the prayers Williamson included in the book. Prayers to transform the reader's consciousness. Can you relate to this one as I did?:

"Dear God, I feel myself falling into the hole of self-pity, self-obsession, and negativity.
I know I shouldn't think this way, but I'm afraid and I cannot stop. Please replace my thoughts with Yours, dear God. I am willing to see myself and all things differently. Please send me the miracle of new eyes and ears, that I might know my greater good. Amen."

I copied this and other prayers from the book and plan refer to them often during my own times of doubt and struggle.

"The Law of Divine Compensation" is the best book from Marianne Williamson I have ever read (and I have read a few, including her landmark work "Return To Love"). "You are not merely a being of the material world; you are a being of unlimited spirit," she writes. "And in spirit there is no lack. You are not lacking, just because your circumstances are." Williamson's message of God's love being our true source of fulfillment was a comfort to me, and I think it will be to you, too.

I was given a complementary copy of this book for review purposes. I was not financially compensated for this post. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just get it. She speaks my language., December 19, 2012
This review is from: The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles (Kindle Edition)
I am 59 years old and have just lost everything I own. I am starting again with such faith and confidence, which is very different to how I was before I read this book. She has literally saved me and set me on a new wondrous voyage. I have lived my life, brought up a daughter from a a very young age, had many long term relationships, been battered emotionally by life, yet I survived through sheer grit and determination never taking the time to look deep to heal wounds and to set boundries. The recession in South Africa over the last 3 years affected my business and I made some pretty stupid decisions and got involved with the wrong people. After a protracted court case which I won, the company went into voluntary liquidation which meant I lost everything. Because I know and believe that I am in exactly the right place at the right time, I looked very deeply at what caused this situation and why. It started with me and ends with me. What lessons I learned! I wake every morning with a prayer on my lips, energy to get through the day regardless of banks and creditors phoning me. Marianne, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for reminding me that God is my partner, that I am protected and that things can change in an instant when I ask. You have made it easy and also taught me how to pray. I believe in miracles. Elain Steinberg. South Africa

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, December 6, 2012
Marianne's new book is very timely and will be inspirational to many. I've been a fan of hers since the early 90s and have read all of her books. I've liked some more than others but this new one is her best yet! I also really loved "The Gift of Change."

Surrender has been up for me in many ways this past year and as I opened her book I came to this prayer:

~ Dear God,
I surrender to You who I am,
what I have and what I do.
May my life and talents be used
in whatever way serves You best.

I surrender to You my failures
and any pain still in my heart.
I surrender to You my successes
and the hopes that they contain.

May the Light of Your Love
shine deep within my heart
and extend through me
to bless the world.
Amen. ~

~ from Marianne Williamson's new book:
The Law of Divine compensation

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, November 29, 2012
I loved the book very much. It is refreshing, inspiring and above all calming and reassuring. There are plenty of so called spiritual books about money and achievements but although they use spiritual words, they are about everything but spirituality. Marianne has shown again that she truly understands the nature of the spiritual world and she can graciously talk about topics like work and money and at the same time remain genuine and honest before herself and God. People who feel this constant conflict between spirituality and everyday life evolving around work and money should definitely read this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware this book, especially if you're just achieving prosperity consciousness, March 16, 2013
Chris Christian (Milton, TN, United States) - See all my reviews

The concepts delivered seemed to be quite on-point, positive and helpful for several paragraphs, but then all of a sudden, the author would make a snarky remark about wealthy people becoming so by taking advantage of others, or would indicate that the way to eradicate poverty is for people with wealth to give it to the poor. Something is seriously wrong with this message.

Either there is lack, or there is not. The author beats the drum of there being no lack, then makes a comment that only makes sense if one believes wealth is a zero-sum game (in order to have, one must take, as there is a limited amount to go around). This is not Divine Wisdom at all, and I found it so inappropriate and jarring that after about the sixth lack-based comment jumped out at me, I closed the book and deleted it from my Kindle.

I don't know if this Jekyll/Hyde approach toward prosperity permeates other Williamson books. I sure hope not. But I won't be taking a chance on any in the foreseeable future. When I'm trying to absorb uplifting content that will help me get past the negative programming that is pervasive in our culture, I sure don't need the distraction of a supposed guru throwing out barbed comments about prosperous people, especially when they have become so legally and ethically (although apparently not in a way of which the author approves).

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly insightful of course ... the author is Marianne Williamson!, November 29, 2012
While admittedly I have always been a fan of Marianne Williamson, I have particularly enjoyed her last couple of books which have focused on a specific area (last one being on weight loss and this one on finances). Her writing is clear, practical and poetic. She has knack for "cutting to the chase" and revealing what is most important. Whether you are a seasoned Course in Miracles student, brand new or not a student at all, you will most definitely gain some perspective on a very timely topic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, June 13, 2013
Over the course of reading this book (only a few days because I couldn't put it down!), I've witnessed not only a change in my thoughts and attitude, but also an improvement in my circumstances already! I've been out of work for 6 months, forced out due to debilitating depression and anxiety caused by an insane workload and toxic environment. I had to give up what I had once thought was the job of my dreams, with a great paycheck to boot, and have been deeply struggling to heal and get back on my feet. Finally feeling well enough now to jump back up on the work horse, the fear of not knowing where I'm going or what I'm supposed to do has been looming over my head. The tedious and grueling task of applying and interviewing for jobs, waiting for good news but only getting rejections, will make most people doubt themselves and feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. On top of it, I have a massive amount of debt that I cannot pay--it's a struggle just to get the rent paid and keep a roof over my head. The pressure and stress has been eating me alive. Thankfully, in doing much self-help reading to improve my illness as well as continue my ongoing spiritual development, I came across this book. After the first night of reading and applying the mindfulness strategies, I woke up to a voicemail from a prospective employer! I continued to read and apply--the next day I had more voicemails and a bunch of e-mails! I'm amazed at how quickly the universe responded to my diligent prayers and meditation--not because I didn't believe, just simply in awe of the miracles unfolding before me! I know that my life has so much potential, and I know that God directed me to this book. What a blessing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Making the error real, July 7, 2013
As a student and teacher of A Course in Miracles (ACIM or "the Course") Marianne Williamson should know that the Course teaches that this world was made by us, not by God, in order to hide from God. It also teaches that we believe we've separated from God and feel extremely guilty for having done so. This is the error on which the physical world is based. This error in our thinking produces guilt and fear. Our collective guilt and fear cause all the negative experiences we have.

The Course teaches that the opposite to love is fear, not hate. Hate is just one aspect of fear. The Course teaches the sole purpose of this world is to learn to love and to forgive ourselves and each other for what we haven't done and never could do. We are the holy children of God. Each of us has "forgiveness lessons" to learn. One such lesson might be to overcome a belief in lack and scarcity by reassessing our actual "needs" and by trusting in God to provide for us. As children of God we are sustained by God alone. He is the source of our very existence and of our abundance. We are collectively dreaming that this world exists. In truth, we have never left our Father's house. One day we will all wake up together to the truth of who we are. This is what the Course teaches.

"The Law of Divine Compensation" posits that the universe is both loving and supporting of us. According to the Course the universe is an illusion, a mask of the truth of who we are. Williamson has a tendency to be very new age in her "prosperity gospel" rather than teaching from a strict ACIM point of view. In fact, she has a tendency to place the blame and guilt on those who are not successful in a worldly sense. There must be something we're thinking or doing that causes success to elude us. That may or may not be true. However, what is true is the need for us to forgive ourselves and the world we see. With forgiveness come miracles, and that is what A Course in Miracles is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bound to be a CLASSIC, November 29, 2012
Marianne Williamson's newest book, The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money and Miracles, is bound to take a place alongside the classic prosperity books by Catherine Ponder (beginning with -- Prosperity Secrets of the Ages: How to Channel a Golden River of Riches Into Your Life and Edwene Gaines The Four Spiritual Laws of Prosperity: A Simple Guide to Unlimited Abundance

I loved this book for four reasons: it starts with causes of lack; provides ways to recognize and overcome each; blends them into a spiritual attitude and steps for success; and is beautifully written.

In examining the causes, Marianne looks at negative self-worth, anger, and guilt as the three demons. She offers prayers and practical attitudes to deal with each, first by facing our prejudices, then by introducing the mindset of spiritual surrender. These lead into chapters on transcending fear and developing a positive outlook that enables one to view our work/job as a calling. This mindset leads the reader to embrace abundance and is reinforced by chapters on the benefits of meditation and prayer. The culmination of the message is in the chapter on "Creating Wealth Through Purity of Heart." She describes purity of heart as "...the miracle-worker's greatest engine of wealth creation" and she gives three fundamental action directives that guide the reader who has embodied the teachings leading up to this point.

Marianne's prose is beautiful throughout, and her stories on her own trials and tribulations, the story of Judy's Joy Cafe, and the Cinderella story as a metaphor for "purity of heart" provide wonderful enrichment for the message. This is truly a classic that brings new dimensions to the process of creating miracles of abundance in every aspect of one's life.

View my expanded reviews of this book at goodreads and busseblog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, December 13, 2012
Scott K. Murphy (West Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Her best book. And that's saying a lot. 19 years of reading and going to Marianne's lectures. She always seems to write about what I need to hear at that particular moment in time.

Rate and Discover Movies