Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on December 19, 2012
I am 59 years old and have just lost everything I own. I am starting again with such faith and confidence, which is very different to how I was before I read this book. She has literally saved me and set me on a new wondrous voyage. I have lived my life, brought up a daughter from a a very young age, had many long term relationships, been battered emotionally by life, yet I survived through sheer grit and determination never taking the time to look deep to heal wounds and to set boundries. The recession in South Africa over the last 3 years affected my business and I made some pretty stupid decisions and got involved with the wrong people. After a protracted court case which I won, the company went into voluntary liquidation which meant I lost everything. Because I know and believe that I am in exactly the right place at the right time, I looked very deeply at what caused this situation and why. It started with me and ends with me. What lessons I learned! I wake every morning with a prayer on my lips, energy to get through the day regardless of banks and creditors phoning me. Marianne, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for reminding me that God is my partner, that I am protected and that things can change in an instant when I ask. You have made it easy and also taught me how to pray. I believe in miracles. Elain Steinberg. South Africa
1212 comments|186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 2012
In these difficult economic times Marianne Williamson's new book, "The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles" is a refreshing reminder that God's love is the true source of our abundance.

"Finance is just one of many areas where an increasingly obsolete, materially based worldview is proving to be inadequate to the challenges of the times in which we live," Williamson writes in the preface of her book. The author's message of God's unconditional love trumping worldly possessions resonated with me. I found myself underlying passages in page after page for future reference (the most words I've highlighted in any book I've read this year).

Williamson is not preaching to us from the mountain top. Similar to her writing style in other books, she is very vulnerable with her own struggles - this time in the financial realm. In "Divine Compensation" she tells a story of how she lost $10,000 early in her speaking career due to poor event planning. "Oh Daddy," she recalls telling her father, "It was such a bomb!" Williamson describes how this personal misfortune taught her a lesson. After consoling words from her father, she relates how she chose to think about this incident was the key to transforming it to positive experience. She could either see it "as proof of utter failure and doom or as an opportunity to forgive myself and attract a miracle." Williamson, in being open with her own shortcomings, gives the reader a sense of being counseled by a friend, rather than being lectured at by a "know it all" spiritual guru.

I wasn't expecting to read about the value of forgiveness in a book about work and money, but according to Williamson a forgiving spirit is essential in attracting our own good. "The universe knows if you were hurt and is already on the case to make right whatever wrong occurred," she writes. "Your anger, if it lingers, throws a wrench in the machine of the miraculous universe." In her view, "no deviation from love - on your part or anyone else's - can keep the universe from its divine intention that your life be one of fullness and joy."

I also liked the prayers Williamson included in the book. Prayers to transform the reader's consciousness. Can you relate to this one as I did?:

"Dear God, I feel myself falling into the hole of self-pity, self-obsession, and negativity.
I know I shouldn't think this way, but I'm afraid and I cannot stop. Please replace my thoughts with Yours, dear God. I am willing to see myself and all things differently. Please send me the miracle of new eyes and ears, that I might know my greater good. Amen."

I copied this and other prayers from the book and plan refer to them often during my own times of doubt and struggle.

"The Law of Divine Compensation" is the best book from Marianne Williamson I have ever read (and I have read a few, including her landmark work "Return To Love"). "You are not merely a being of the material world; you are a being of unlimited spirit," she writes. "And in spirit there is no lack. You are not lacking, just because your circumstances are." Williamson's message of God's love being our true source of fulfillment was a comfort to me, and I think it will be to you, too.

I was given a complementary copy of this book for review purposes. I was not financially compensated for this post. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.
44 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2013
Over the course of reading this book (only a few days because I couldn't put it down!), I've witnessed not only a change in my thoughts and attitude, but also an improvement in my circumstances already! I've been out of work for 6 months, forced out due to debilitating depression and anxiety caused by an insane workload and toxic environment. I had to give up what I had once thought was the job of my dreams, with a great paycheck to boot, and have been deeply struggling to heal and get back on my feet. Finally feeling well enough now to jump back up on the work horse, the fear of not knowing where I'm going or what I'm supposed to do has been looming over my head. The tedious and grueling task of applying and interviewing for jobs, waiting for good news but only getting rejections, will make most people doubt themselves and feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. On top of it, I have a massive amount of debt that I cannot pay--it's a struggle just to get the rent paid and keep a roof over my head. The pressure and stress has been eating me alive. Thankfully, in doing much self-help reading to improve my illness as well as continue my ongoing spiritual development, I came across this book. After the first night of reading and applying the mindfulness strategies, I woke up to a voicemail from a prospective employer! I continued to read and apply--the next day I had more voicemails and a bunch of e-mails! I'm amazed at how quickly the universe responded to my diligent prayers and meditation--not because I didn't believe, just simply in awe of the miracles unfolding before me! I know that my life has so much potential, and I know that God directed me to this book. What a blessing!
on December 6, 2012
Marianne's new book is very timely and will be inspirational to many. I've been a fan of hers since the early 90s and have read all of her books. I've liked some more than others but this new one is her best yet! I also really loved "The Gift of Change."

Surrender has been up for me in many ways this past year and as I opened her book I came to this prayer:

~ Dear God,
I surrender to You who I am,
what I have and what I do.
May my life and talents be used
in whatever way serves You best.

I surrender to You my failures
and any pain still in my heart.
I surrender to You my successes
and the hopes that they contain.

May the Light of Your Love
shine deep within my heart
and extend through me
to bless the world.
Amen. ~

~ from Marianne Williamson's new book:
The Law of Divine compensation

on March 16, 2013
This is the first Marianne Williamson book I've read, and I was very much looking forward to enjoying her thoughts, and hopefully learning from them. However, I was quite disappointed to find the book referring to money/wealth negatively, and repeatedly speaking lack.

The concepts delivered seemed to be quite on-point, positive and helpful for several paragraphs, but then all of a sudden, the author would make a snarky remark about wealthy people becoming so by taking advantage of others, or would indicate that the way to eradicate poverty is for people with wealth to give it to the poor. Something is seriously wrong with this message.

Either there is lack, or there is not. The author beats the drum of there being no lack, then makes a comment that only makes sense if one believes wealth is a zero-sum game (in order to have, one must take, as there is a limited amount to go around). This is not Divine Wisdom at all, and I found it so inappropriate and jarring that after about the sixth lack-based comment jumped out at me, I closed the book and deleted it from my Kindle.

I don't know if this Jekyll/Hyde approach toward prosperity permeates other Williamson books. I sure hope not. But I won't be taking a chance on any in the foreseeable future. When I'm trying to absorb uplifting content that will help me get past the negative programming that is pervasive in our culture, I sure don't need the distraction of a supposed guru throwing out barbed comments about prosperous people, especially when they have become so legally and ethically (although apparently not in a way of which the author approves).
99 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2012
While admittedly I have always been a fan of Marianne Williamson, I have particularly enjoyed her last couple of books which have focused on a specific area (last one being on weight loss and this one on finances). Her writing is clear, practical and poetic. She has knack for "cutting to the chase" and revealing what is most important. Whether you are a seasoned Course in Miracles student, brand new or not a student at all, you will most definitely gain some perspective on a very timely topic!
on November 29, 2012
I loved the book very much. It is refreshing, inspiring and above all calming and reassuring. There are plenty of so called spiritual books about money and achievements but although they use spiritual words, they are about everything but spirituality. Marianne has shown again that she truly understands the nature of the spiritual world and she can graciously talk about topics like work and money and at the same time remain genuine and honest before herself and God. People who feel this constant conflict between spirituality and everyday life evolving around work and money should definitely read this book!
on September 14, 2013
I've perused a LOT of books on this topic and found most of them lacking: some were too dry, others too superficial, others too heavy on religion (preachy), others so "out-there" that unless you had years of metaphysical studies, you couldn't understand what they were talking about. This book has enough stories/examples to keep the reader engaged and except for an occasional mention of "He" (giving God a gender), I found the book appetizing and easy to digest, regardless of one's religion or lack thereof... Chapter 12 was my favorite: she takes profound truths and explains them in a way that a child might understand them; but don't misunderstand, the author does not oversimplify or devalue the deep truths in any way. Even after reading a passage, it had the power to stay with me for months... Her stories have the power to transform (read about the taxi driver and the magnet metaphor). This book is a keeper; one of those books that we revisit when we need to get something more/something else out of it.
on November 29, 2012
Marianne Williamson's newest book, The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money and Miracles, is bound to take a place alongside the classic prosperity books by Catherine Ponder (beginning with -- Prosperity Secrets of the Ages: How to Channel a Golden River of Riches Into Your Life and Edwene Gaines The Four Spiritual Laws of Prosperity: A Simple Guide to Unlimited Abundance

I loved this book for four reasons: it starts with causes of lack; provides ways to recognize and overcome each; blends them into a spiritual attitude and steps for success; and is beautifully written.

In examining the causes, Marianne looks at negative self-worth, anger, and guilt as the three demons. She offers prayers and practical attitudes to deal with each, first by facing our prejudices, then by introducing the mindset of spiritual surrender. These lead into chapters on transcending fear and developing a positive outlook that enables one to view our work/job as a calling. This mindset leads the reader to embrace abundance and is reinforced by chapters on the benefits of meditation and prayer. The culmination of the message is in the chapter on "Creating Wealth Through Purity of Heart." She describes purity of heart as "...the miracle-worker's greatest engine of wealth creation" and she gives three fundamental action directives that guide the reader who has embodied the teachings leading up to this point.

Marianne's prose is beautiful throughout, and her stories on her own trials and tribulations, the story of Judy's Joy Cafe, and the Cinderella story as a metaphor for "purity of heart" provide wonderful enrichment for the message. This is truly a classic that brings new dimensions to the process of creating miracles of abundance in every aspect of one's life.

View my expanded reviews of this book at goodreads and busseblog.
on November 29, 2012
Really really loved it. Read it in three sittings within the first 24 hours, it was so engaging. Touching, funny, beautiful, clear, inspiring, practical and important all at the same time. One of her best for sure, and on a topic that is near and dear to every one of us - money, career, work and spiritual connection. Nobody does it like Marianne!