5.0 out of 5 stars A great book on leadership!
In "Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell," Oren Harari distills and expounds upon the leadership style of one of the most well respected leaders of our time. It is not a biography about or tribute to Powell, neither is it a book written by Powell. Rather, Harari has drawn from a wide range of sources such as personal communication with Powell, magazine articles, books,...
Published on November 3, 2002 by Walter Reade

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected it to be better. Did not keep my attention or make any ...
I expected it to be better. Did not keep my attention or make any new recommendations.
Published 3 months ago by B Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Succinct, to the point, not a fad, August 20, 2002
Al Walea (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
A leader who actually executes to Powell's leadership principles will be very successful. This book does not set forth any new fads, nor offer any deep new insights. Instead, it focuses on the most important leadership traits, and explains them in plain English. Most important, Colin Powell is the role model who actually implements these leadership traits, and does so with tremendous success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book With Great Life Lessons, December 14, 2006
This review is from: The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell (Paperback)
Author Owen Harari does a phenomenal job of outlining what Colin Powell believes makes a good leader. What is interesting to note is that Powell is in no way affiliated with this book, so all of the information (lists, quotes, etc.) came from outside sources. He gets the bulk of his information from interviews with Powell as well as articles written in nationally-circulated newspapers. This undoubtedly took an incredible amount of research and it certainly paid off in terms of how the book came together.

The book is broken into 3 parts; and from there, each part is divided into chapters. The first part is entitled "Powell as Provocateur," the second is titled "Powell on Strategy and Execution," and the third part is entitled "The Powell Character." Each chapter has to do with the part that it is contained it. One of my only critiques on the book is that it doesn't seem to fuse together his thoughts on Powell as a man and Powell as a leader. He goes into great detail about each, but he fails to make the connection between the two.

It is my belief that the book played out in strategic fashion. For reasons unknown to me, some in the media have painted Powell as a firm man, but has a tendency to be pushed around a little. Perhaps it's because of his relationship to Bush and Cheney. Regardless, Harari set the tone for this book in the opening chapter entitled, "Know When To Piss People Off." This instantly dispelled the absurd rumor of Powell being soft.

This would make a great gift for anyone you know in a position of power. In addition to effectively outlining the traits required of good leader, there are plenty life lessons to be learned from the text. Powell's occasional stories from his military days seem to perfectly compliment the author's words on what makes Powell a strong, effective, and efficient leader.

A great read overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information, July 24, 2010
I purchased this CD set to listen to on the commute. It provides good information to keep in the back of your mind for later situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Achievement in all endeavors....., November 20, 2013
This review is from: The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell (Paperback)
When I first read this book I was being a follower not knowing what I wanted to do in life. This book was referred to me from my mentor who is achieving on a very high level right now. The knowledge I received from this book made me realize that you don't have to follow all your life. You have the tools and mindset to lead at what you want in life you make the decisions. (Success is a determination of leadership) I have learned from reading this book how to lead in the career field and, The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell is fast paced, well written and exquisitely illustrated with stories that make our vision of Powell one that is clear, compelling and worthy of emulation. This by far one of my top 5 books just for life goals great book..

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, February 25, 2002
Dozie Okpalaobieri "ceydon" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I had read Powell's biography and figured it would be interesting to read about his "secrets." This book was an inspiring look at the issue of leadership and how to be flexible in our changing time.
For me, it also helps highlights the everyday workplace and how leaders in this environment can lead by example, motivate and have employees who would move mountains for them because of the stock you place in them as a leader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not really secrets, February 17, 2013
This review is from: The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell (Paperback)
Excellent packaging and fast delivery
This book has been both more and less than I thought it would be. The insights of Powell are great kernels of ways to live our lives and not just for the generals of the world. What's missing is the thought process that goes into when to buck the system to change it, other than waiting until you're in charge. I will soon see the effects of his advice when implemented at a lower level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Collar Book, January 14, 2004
Finally!!!! This is a no hype type of book. The leadership principles are presented in a refreshing style that does not require any previous leadership book to be read. No Techno babble here. What I found to be interesting is how good of a book this turned out to be without interviewing Colin Powell for the book and yet the book is on his leadership style. If for nothing else get the book for the pithy chapter titles!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring stories on leadership!!, August 30, 2006
Farnoosh Brock (Prolific Living Inc., USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book was a hard read at first, slowly I started to appreciate the stories, the quotes. The military style of leadership from Powell, his unforgiving rules for people without integrity and whiners, and his chapter on "Know When to Piss People Off" was very interested. His stature in the US and even the world, and his war stories, and leadership experience, made for a rich read. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 31, 2008
J. Lenox (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell (Paperback)
I read this book twice and found it to hold many solid principles regarding leadership and management. I highly recommend this book as an easy to read, informative, no B.S. source for anyone who is in or desires to ascend to a leadership position within their organization. Since reading this I have purchase 6 additional copies and distributed them to my first line supervisors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leadership!!!, May 29, 2014
This review is from: The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell (Paperback)
In this book, the author writes about the leadership principles that Colin Powell used to become one of the most successful and well known men of our time. Many of these same principles can be found in different books but it just makes it more authentic because the ideas come from a man who has been through situations in which he actually had to put them to use. Great read!

The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell
The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell by Oren Harari (Paperback - August 8, 2003)
$22.00 $14.48
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.