5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MARBLE RUN!
This is a great construction toy. My child was enthralled by it. They give you directions for one assembly but there are limitless ways in which to build. Great quality and the pieces don't necessarily have to be put in a particular direction. I loved this toy. Only warning - not for a young child. Maybe 8 years old and up unless you (the parent) want to help.
Published on May 19, 2005 by Play Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars techo gears
This toy is poor construction, pieces fall apart at the slighest of touch. Hard to put together.
Published on May 3, 2005 by S. Wywadis

1.0 out of 5 stars techo gears, May 3, 2005
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Learning Journey Techno Gears Marble Mania Apprentice Construction Set (Toy)

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME MARBLE RUN!, May 19, 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars The Learning Journey - poor toy and customer service, May 7, 2008
We were thrilled when we opened the package and started to built the run. However, there is a bridging part that breaks very easily. When I wrote Learning Journey I was told they would send new parts. Six months later, we have not received any parts, they have not responded to the Better Business Bureau and the run is broken because of a poorly engineered part. I do not recommend this toy or purchasing toys from this company at all. THey are not focused on good service nor product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeping uncle busy on Christmas Day, January 14, 2010
Aleksandar Totic (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
On the Christmas day, we got down to putting together the tough ones, and I got stuck with this one. It took me about hour to put it together, the 6yo nephew lost interest after 5 minutes. It took cousins another half hour of fun to completely destroy the toy. "The marbles are not coming down, lets smash it!". It has never been put together since.

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't all bad, October 23, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this toy from another vendor as a rainy day surprise and, well, it rained! There are some good and bad aspects to this set.

The Good: It is amazing to watch and fun to play with, brightly colored, and resulted in some fun quality time spent with my 10 year old son. We used it also for educational purposes - it was good to work together at figuring out the building steps and which piece was which piece and realizing visually that what we thought we were supposed to do would not work. So we were figuring out the physics of it as we went along. Once completed, we had to work out how fast we could release the marbles. Too fast sometimes resulted in marbles falling off the path, or jamming up in the dips. Once on the run, the spiral lifter carefully spaces them for re-release.

The Bad: There is not a strict uniformity to the pieces...some fit loose and some hurt to get together, some break, and there were some poorly molded pieces that we were able to make work. The pieces vary in color from the instruction book, so a visually oriented person might be easily frustrated. And a mom who needs glasses didn't LOVE the almost invisible numeric piece indicators, but it did help especially in light of the color variations. There were one or two situations where we felt we had to change the plan because it just didn't work as they said it would. I have been spoiled by Lego's instruction booklets -this one is not as precise. There is a lot of guessing, adjusting, and rebuilding when you figure out you did something wrong because the plans were not clear. This kit says "6+" but I can tell you my 10 year old would have walked away if I made him build it alone. It took us all evening to build, with dinner interruptions and the like. Certainly the total build time with mom at the helm was at least two but more like three hours.

The Ugly: We have already broken one flimsy piece. Thankfully there was an extra for the suggested configuration. It really has to be flimsy - not an exaggeration. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and do not have normal strength in my hands. The piece requires alight bending to fit it around the path pieces and it broke - bent back like cardboard- in the process and is now unusable.

In light of other reviews about this company's replacement policy, I would probably not suggest this set for a gift or for someone on a limited budget. There are other toys that would give a better value for the money. We really did have fun but we will not be reconfiguring the design. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, August 12, 2014
We have had the Apprentice set for years now. My daughter loved it when we first got it. We took it down for a year and she built it back up on her own the next time and the time after that. It is a great set to start the child's thinking processes on "how things go together and work". She LOVES it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Learning Journey International - Telly the Time, January 7, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Unfortunately I did not read the above review about the company or manufacturer known as The Learning Journey International before purchasing Telly the Teaching Time Clock for my granddaughter for Christmas 2009!!!!

The toy arrived and the day after Christmas, my son-in-law opened up the clock and began to set it up for Izzy. My daughter then noticed that the digital display was not displaying the hour as it was supposed to. We then put in brand new batteries and that did nothing to help the problem. I called Fat Brain Toys (from whom I purchased the toy online) and they took all of the information and passed it onto the manufacturer - named The Learning Journey International. I was assured the clock would be replaced and that I could keep the defective one or do whatever with it. I cannot stress how nice Fat Brain Toys company is to deal with . . . At any rate about four days later I receive an email with an attachment of a Return Voucher. It stated that I would send the clock back at my expense, they would determine if the product was indeed defective and THEN they would send a new one to me. I protested that I had already paid once for shipping and it was not my fault that the product was defective. The woman was very authoritative and said this was their policy - I said it isn't the policy for me and you've just lost a customer. She didn't seem to care. I then called Fat Brain Toys back and explained the situation. The rep said they would credit my account for the full price and that I could keep the clock or whatever. They couldn't have been nicer!! Bottom Line: Buy from Fat Brain Toys but never never purchase a toy manufactured by The Learning Journey International. I hope this helps someone else. Thanks

The Learning Journey Techno Gears Marble Mania Apprentice Construction Set