Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Blu-rayChange

on September 14, 2011
"I have to stay up here until noon and then jump, if I don't someone
else is gonna die." Hollis (Howard) job is to talk down suicide
jumpers, after finding out that his kids may not be his he is sent out
to talk to Gavin (Hunnam). But there are always two sides to every
story and Gavin is not on the ledge by choice. This is the type of
movie that you watch because of the cast and end up being blown away.
While the movie is a little slow in parts the message, acting and plot
are great. All four main characters in this movie are all conflicted
and each have their own choice to make in order to move on with their
lives and it is intriguing to watch all of them handle it. At it's core
this is a movie about faith and morals and will leave you questioning
yourself as to what you would do in each position. That is the sign of
a good movie, one that makes you look at yourself in a way you may not
have before. Overall, I highly recommend this movie. More movies should
be like this. I give it a B+.

Would I watch again? - I think I would in order to catch everything,
there is so much to take in you may not be able to get it all the first
time.

*Also try - Last Night
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2011
Great movie. It was nothing that I expected! It kept me guessing until the very end.
Charlie Hunnam, and Terrance Howard really shined as actors in this movie!
I would recommend this movie to anyone!
on February 4, 2012
I usually don't write reviews, but this movie happens to be worth reviewing in more ways than one. This movie may not be the best film out there or even have the best dialog, but it does make you think and that in and of itself makes it worth 5 stars. Too often atheists are viewed in a negative light and while I don't agree with what his character did to cause him to be on the ledge I can see how it could've happened. The evangelical character also does an excellent job of portraying many things that are wrong with fanatical religious beliefs and what can happen when they are taken to the extreme. I'm looking forward to watching this again with friends and purchasing another copy to donate to our local library for anyone else who may be interested in watching it.
on October 20, 2011
The Ledge is fantastic. I've seen controversial religious movies, but never an atheist flick (Religulous doesn't count as Maher proclaims staunch agnosticism in the film). *Mild Spoiler*-The best thing is that the question atheists hate most was posed about halfway through- "Why do you hate god?" I appreciate that the protagonist was portrayed as a human being and not as a baby eater.

Any atheist or atheist-friendly person would enjoy this movie. Any theist would be entertained if they watch with a relatively open mind.
33 comments13 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2011
This is a very emotional film, love story, drama, and the only major motion picture I can recall in which the main character is a non-believer. It gives the viewer a great deal to think about along the way and lots more to think about long after its over. It's not the best film ever made, but it earns five stars because it charts new territory and it's a surprisingly GOOD film.
11 comment12 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I've been waiting months to see this and I finally have. I loved every minute of it.

The atheistic message is pronounced, but has everything to do with the story. Don't expect to be 'preached' at or anything, but the religious message is great. Being an atheist, I'm glad that a nonbeliever took center stage and the story was about the struggle between faith and rationality. The movie was wonderfully cast as well.

At the end, I had tears in my eyes. This was a powerful film about love and overcoming obstacles. This film may even make you view the world differently. And hey, the movie ended in a very unexpected way.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
You wanna be at the edge of your seat , you want to pull out some Kleenix, you want to see some sensitive acting.... view "The Ledge". I had no idea of what the story entailed. Once you started, there were no 'bathroom trips & munchie breaks'. You wanted to see till the end. A typical love triangle, married woman Liv Tyler, hunky boyfriend Charlie Hunnam ( Sons of Anarchy, Pacific Rim) brute manipulative husband, Patrick Wilson ( Phantom of the Opera) and detective with his own family issues, Terrence Howard ( 4 Brotthers) are the players on this dangerous chess board. One false move and some one will not make it to the ending credits. I liked it, made you think, ( life , death, faith ) and was worth the money. Check it out, you wont be sorry.
A police detective who has just received shattering personal news is dispatched to talk a potential jumper off a ledge, only to discover that the jumper HAS to jump or else someone he loves will die. Add to that immediately gripping opening scene some superb acting from all involved, as well as a strong & thought-provoking screenplay, and you've got a film well worth watching, and then discussing at length afterwards.

So why do some reviews call it too contrived & thus unwatchable?

I suggest that the current obsession with so-called "realism" in contemporary entertainment is to blame. Yes, the story is a bit stagey ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Ironically, for a film about atheism & fundamentalism at odds, it's very much like a Medieval mystery play, in which characters represent certain specific worldviews or aspects of human existence. In short, it's as much allegory as straight narrative. This was once an acceptable form of storytelling, as can be seen in quite a few films & TV shows from the 1950s & 1960s. Now, however, the emphasis on a rather generic & homogenized "realism" -- which is in fact just as contrived & artificial as any other form of storytelling in the end -- makes it difficult for some viewers to enter into the story & its ideas.

Don't let that deter you from seeing it, though. Unlike so many formulaic & empty film spectacles these days, "The Ledge" offers an intense story with well-rounded characters, as well as plenty of ideas to grapple with: ideas about faith, about belief, about love, about self-sacrifice, about the meaning of life (or whether there is any such meaning at all). Again, the characters are in part allegorical ones ... but they're also recognizable individuals, with painful & complex backstories that make us sympathize with them, even if we don't share their particular worldviews.

So, the film's approach might put off some viewers who aren't comfortable with its style of storytelling. But if you can give yourself over to it, you'll find yourself fascinated by the lives of its characters & the terrible choices they must make ... and you'll most likely wind up thinking about your own beliefs & the choices you make everyday, as well. That's rare to find in film today, which is what makes this one so refreshing & striking -- highly recommended!
11 comment6 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
Great movie to watch if you like being on the edge on what's coming next. The movie will keep your interest.
on July 30, 2013
The Ledge is an intense, thought-provoking, and engaging thriller written and directed by Matthew Chapman and starring Charlie Hunnam, Liv Tyler, Patrick Wilson, and Terrance Howard. I enjoyed it very much.

The ledge of the title refers both to the literal ledge on which we find our protagonist, Gavin, played with edgy charm by Hunnam, at the movie's open and also the figurative ledge that we all walk on in life as we thread our way through the choices that will either send us plummeting to our doom or keep us on the path. In that sense, all four of the main characters are on a ledge as the movie begins and the tension comes from wondering if they will fall, jump, or continue on.

The characters are complex, well-written, and well acted. Even the "bad guy", Shana's husband Joe, is written with such depth and portrayed with such honesty of feeling by Wilson, that I actually almost felt bad for him. The relationship between Gavin and Shana, played with grace by Tyler, unfolds somewhat painfully as we watch a bad idea become something beautiful and very sexy. Finally, there's police detective Hollis, played competently by Howard. His job is to talk Gavin off the ledge, but he is a bit preoccupied with his own crisis, a situation to which I can completely relate.

One more shout-out to a minor character that eventually becomes very important to the story, Gavin's roommate Chris, well played by Christopher Gorham. I think in this character we have a reminder that sometimes the people who pass through our lives, seemingly on the sidelines, can end up being more important than we think, if only we stop to notice them.

Anyway, in case you need a two-by-four up the side of the head, this is a great movie. If it sounds like your cup of vodka, watch it soon. And please do not confuse it with the awful Asger Leth film Man on a Ledge (2012), which I had the misfortune to see in the theater when it first came out.