Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: HardcoverChange

on March 5, 2013
If you are from or have lived in the south for any amount of time (and actually cook) then most of these recipes will be second nature... The production and layout are by far the highest quality, but there just isn't anything new here apart from a few twists on traditional recipes. If you are new to southern cooking this is a great cookbook to start with. I would recommend starting with a double batch of their "shrimp butter" and then putting it on EVERYTHING!!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
We checked this book out from the library to test out a few recipes before buying, as we have way too many cookbooks. It was worth making room to buy our own copy. The recipe that put it over the top was the Herb-Roasted Turkey with Madeira Gravy. We decided to try it this past Thanksgiving. My sister and family were visiting and there were a lot of different tastes to please. My sister dislikes turkey to the point where frequently she doesn't even eat it. Imagine our pleasant surprise when not only did she eat it, she raved and went back for seconds, then asked for the recipe! We have tried a lot of complicated, messy, time consuming turkey recipes over twenty years. This was by far the easiest and most delicious turkey we have ever made, the gravy was heaven. Another favorite is Henry's Cheese Spread. Thank you Lee Bros!!!
on June 27, 2013
I purchased this cookbook to give as a gift to a dear friend who lives in Charleston and is interested in creating local cuisine. She absolutely loves it. I had a chance to cook with her and read through the book and was impressed by the history inspired recipes.
As an example, there is a brief story told about pineapples... market inventories indicate pineapples have been sold in Charleston for hundreds of years, the Lee brothers had very few recipes that used pineapple today, so they went looking for recipes that used pineapples. Wonderful pineapple cornbread pudding recipe.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Lee brothers, Matt and Ted, deliver an exciting cookbook with classic recipes from Charleston, South Carolina. This interesting and enjoyable cookbook not only includes several mouth-watering recipes, but also charming stories about Charleston, making it a treasure trove for favorite recipes, with a delightful historical background. The authors include recipes for dinner, cocktails, dips, and much more. In addition, the colorful photos are as inspiring as the stories, while tempting you to try a few favorites. This amazing Charleston food culture with its elegant history intrigues as a variety of delicious recipes are offered, from flavorful soups to side dishes, to tasty appetizers. I'm a seafood lover, growing up on an Island, so I often crave for lobster, shrimp and creative crab recipes. The first recipe I was anxious to try is the Smothered Pork Chops, which are incredible in taste and flavor. In addition, there are recipes for different vegetables, and fish. Each recipe is easy-to-read, and simple to make. There are 100 classic recipes to choose from, and delightful personal stories to share with family and friends. I collect cookbooks, and this is my first with recipes from old-time favorites of Charleston, South Carolina. The She-Crab Soup has been selected to be the next recipe to try. A great gift idea for any chef, family, and friends. Entertaining, charming, and enjoyable. Highly recommended!
on March 7, 2013
I sat down and did not come up until I had finished this absolutely fabulous book! Not only are the recipes to die for, I have tryed a new one everyday, but the stories are incredible. Upon buying this cookbook I did not now how those precious Lee Brothers could top their other two books but they have. The stories will keep you in stitches even if you don't ever try one of the recipes. I have already given two of these cookbooks as hostess gifts as it is just that incredible. Ted and Matt not only do themselves proud but also show how much fun Charleston and the surrounding area truly is. In the back there is a wonderful hand drawn map of all the places they talk about so that you can take a walk around Charleston and live the stories in the book. I would give this one ten stars if that was possible, you will truly be sorry if you miss this Southern Treasure......irene miller
on January 29, 2014
This is a hard book to rate, as a Charleston local I can pretty much cook most of these recipes by heart. So I purchased it more to support these guys ( Matt and Ted are very nice fellows) I do believe this cookbook does a great job at showing off Charleston's classic recipes, and their recipes are rather easy to follow. I only deduct one star because I feel like they omitted a few classic dishe(s) that I feel most Charlestonians grew up eating but alas i'm glad to see southern recipes not being drowned in butter and bacon.
on May 2, 2013
I got it for my mother. She loved it. I highly recommend it for the cook in your family or any aspiring chef. Enjoy these dishes as our family has.
on May 5, 2013
Good source for classic southern cooking which will be enjoyed by all.
A good variety with simple ingredients and clear directions.
on July 11, 2015
The Lee Brothers are definitely characters who have devoted their lives to cooking in many arenas. Of the three Lee Brothers cookbooks I have, I feel this is by far the best. The Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook is also very good, but I find their Simple Fresh Southern ho-hum. What I like about the Charleston Kitchen so much is the dialogue they include. The recipes I've tried are superb especially Frogmore Soup, Wentworth Street Crab Meat, Low Country Gumbo and Caramel cake. I love cookbooks that have great recipes and are well written with lots of interesting things to convey. I don't think anyone would dislike this book unless they disliked seafood in any shape of form.
on July 12, 2013
As a native Charlestonian, I think this receipt book is an authentic adaptation of old home receipts which I grew up with and loved.
This book brings back happy memories of shopping for soup bunches and peanuts in the Market and eating at Henry's.
I can't remember seeing a receipt book with so many interesting pictures of people, places and food. All the receipts are worth trying and contain ingredients that are readily available.