4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!
Published on May 4, 2012 by Shirley Quinones

1.0 out of 5 stars Unedited
Published on February 16, 2012 by B. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Unedited, February 16, 2012
This review is from: The Legacy of Kilkenny (The Legacy of Kilkenny Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As a fan of independent werewolf novels I've developed a high tolerance for the sloppy editing you sometimes find in independent publishing. The occasional typo or awkward phrase doesn't hurt my enjoyment of a story. However, the Legacy of Kilkenny was simply unreadable. Never mind careless editing - this book is unedited. There are so many comma splices you'd think periods were being rationed by the government. Any standalone sentences that couldn't be glued together are liberally sprinkled with inappropriate commas. There are plenty of other problems with the book, but it's hard to comment on them fairly since reading The Legacy of Kilkenny is so painful that I'm going to cut my losses one-third of the way through and put it aside.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, May 4, 2012
Wow! What a surprising treat this book was. The storyline was very interesting along with the characters. You had to love Abel, so trusting and accepting. I so enjoyed the banter between him and Pru. They had such a sweet relationship. The other characters were great too helping to make the book come together. I found the pace to be just perfect, giving all the details needed at the right time to really draw the reader in and keep on wanting to read without feeling overwhelmed with the information.

All in all, a great, interesting read. I'm looking forward to the next book. Thanks again to the guys at R2R for the opportunity!

3.0 out of 5 stars Take Some Dramamine Before Reading, February 15, 2012
Read from January 24 to February 01, 2012

First of all, I would like to thank Devyn Dawson for allowing the R2R program to review her book. I always appreciate the chance to read and review a book.

After initially looking at a few reviews to determine if I should read it, I found many glowing comments; they lead me to really think I would like this book. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The overall premise was interesting, and promising. But for me the formatting, and point of view between Pru and Abel ended up preventing me from really investing myself into the characters.

I found that the book tells the reader the story instead of showing it. Rather than painting a picture with words to show a plump, juicy, red apple with beads of cool moisture sweating out of it's sweet flesh. It would rather just have a character say, 'Give me an apple.' I didn't have the sense of being lead into the story, instead I felt like flash boards of high points were being sped through so quickly I got dizzy. The two main characters go from just meeting on one page, and BFF's the next. Granted, there was a passage of time, but many relationship building parts of the story were absent. I also felt like there was little conflict, especially in regard to the acceptance on Abe's part with Pru's "furry" nature at first. Many situations, like that one felt forced, unnatural and unbelievable.

The change in points of view: they happened so often and so fast that I felt like I was a ping pong ball being bounced between Abe and Pru. Half the time I would forget, or due to formatting would not notice the change of perspective and wonder why suddenly the character would say such things. I would quickly realize my error, but it became an exercise of will to finish the book as time went on. The few times it stuck with one person for any length of time, I would find myself drawn in to the story.

It felt like there was almost too much supernatural "stuff" being thrown in. If they had stuck to werewolves with shamanic overtones and rituals, that would have been great. But in trying to add so much, it would slow down at odd points getting bogged down with details without allowing enough time to express all the details. If the focus of the story had been narrowed down, I think it would have been more successful in drawing in the reader and giving them enough time to read and absorb this particular paranormal reality.

I am far, far from being a perfectionist, or even talented in regards to grammar and/or formatting of an e-book; but this book was very ill formatted with many obvious errors. It needed serious, serious attention from a proofreader.

The overall combination left me frustrated and dizzy. But bear in mind- this was just my reaction to it. Many readers enjoyed the two perspectives, connected with the characters and the story. If you enjoy a slightly racier paranormal YR series, then by all means give it a try. Make sure first, however, to get some Dramamine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legacy of Kilkenny, June 12, 2011
One of the most remarkable qualities about The Legacy of Kilkenny is that is told from the perspective of not one, but two character`s. From the very beginning that is what had me captivated. It added a different dynamic having two character's points of view and I found it extremely interesting getting to truly know not just one but two character's.

The story is told from Abel and Pru's perception. Abel is your average high school guy. He is sweet, has a loving family, an erratic older sister, and doesn't really do anything too out of the ordinary. He is just living his life...a completely normal kid...unbeknownst to him, he is the `great wolf.' (Without going into too much detail...no spoilers in this review!) That is when Pru comes along. Pru is beautiful, of course. She is sexy. She is a werewolf. And she's not just any werewolf. She's the General's daughter, the pack leader's daughter, and the one who has been assigned to explain to Abel what his destiny entails. Pru is also the kind of girl that every girl would want to be friends with. She is fun, tough, edgy, spontaneous, venerable at times, and witty. I love Pru! Pru rocks!

Along with Abel and Pru there are many other wonderful character's that keep you reading the Legacy. Oakley is a member of Pru's pack and a potential love interest for Pru. He's charming with a bit of a southern drawl. Oakley definitely was a favorite character of mine and kept a smile on my face. Arien is another favorite character of mine. Arien is a mischievous Vampire that is someone you may or may not love to hate. Most of my favorite lines from the book are from him.

The Legacy of Kilkenny is an exhilarating read. Once you start, it sucks you in, it grabs your attention and you can't stop until you've read the last word. Just when you think you know what's about to happen, the plot thickens...it takes a hard left and you find yourself holding on for dear life buckled in the passenger seat of Pru's SS Camaro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children respecting their parents' what a refreshing read, June 10, 2012
Wanda "Wandah Panda" (Pretoria, South Africa) - See all my reviews
Werewolves. I downloaded this book as per usual without reading the blurb. So the werewolf's approach was a surprise. I did not have any real expectation apart from the title that sounded Irish to me. So I began reading the book and soon could not put it down. Here you will not find the by now so familiar love triangle. No, here Pru knows exactly what she wants. But you will get loads of romance nonetheless.
I loved the training sessions; it made sense and fit in with the story perfectly. The twists in the story are unique and again very fitting. I think, apart from the fact that the story is smooth and easy to read the fact that I really liked the most is that the family relationships are not strained. The children are neither neglected nor do they have the run of the mill.
So what is the story about, it's basically about Devyn, the great wolf, whom have never shifted. To shift he must die. But Devyn is only 16, his sister is acting up, he loves his parents and he has a crush on the pack leader's daughter. It is only a crush though and falling in love is not a priority when you're about to die.
I really liked reading this book. It is a smooth easy read and one I would recommend to all paranormal readers. I give it an easy 6 *** *** review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, March 19, 2012
This book was such a fantastic read. I started and couldn't stop. It had one of those storylines that got you involved right from the start and didn't let go till the end. I know there was a reviewer that mentioned sloppy editing. I just want to say - Don't let that stop you from reading this book. The grammar does not take away from a great storyline and plot. I'm glad this review did not hinder my purchasing this book from a great inspiring author such as Devyn Dawson.

Abel Casey - a guy not even aware of his birth right of being the Great Wolf, struggles with playing catch up to get him prepared before his first shift.

Pru Phelan - an Alpha's daughter who was raised knowing she was a wolf and knows quite well how to handle herself now has the duty and obligation of training Abel with his preparation.

All along I secretly wished these two would hook up because both characters were so loveable but I am by no means disappointed with the outcome and the path that Devyn Dawson decided to take these two down. I'm anxious to get started on Malevolence.

Well done Devyn Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars keep your eye on devyn dawson!, December 31, 2011
I cannot wait for the next installment of The Legacy of Kilkenny series! I grew so attached to the characters. They are all very well developed, with obvious thought and care for each and every one. Poor Able Casey had no idea what he was in for the day Pru Phelan walked into his life! He is destined to be The Great Wolf and has trouble accepting all that comes with this huge responsibility, as it will affect all of those he cares about. Lucky for Abe he has people (or wolves) that believe in him and are with him every step of the way. I could go on and on about the things I loved in this book, but I'm not gonna spoil a thing for you! I'll tell you it is a MUST READ! ALSO CHECK OUT DEVYN DAWSON'S NOVELETTE! The Seduction- it will give you some insight to Able's sister Allie! LOVE LOVE LOVE DEVYN DAWSON!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read!, July 12, 2014
I really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed the spin the author put on the werewolf world. The action, adventure, mystery, and the wonderful characters made for an awesome read. I had to buy the rest of the series because I just have to know what's going to happen next. If you haven't read it already, definitely add this story to your TBR list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, July 10, 2014
That's all I have to say. Just Awesome.
Will definitely read the next book in the series, I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars WAY TOO COOL!!!!!!!, February 20, 2014
Tracey Carpenter (Tucson, AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
I am so glad that I ran across this awesome story teller. This author, who has been blessed with an ability to have an awesome creative mind and also the ability to put it into words for others to enjoy. I must say that I have not been this all worked up over a written story since I first read The Twilight saga series. I have to say that this author has been very entertaining and I really and truly believe that this story should be just like if not equal to the The Twilight Saga.

Rate and Discover Movies