5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Pastors, December 31, 2013
This review is from: The Legacy Path: Discover Intentional Spiritual Parenting (Kindle Edition)
this book gives you the reason, motivation, and practical tools to raise not only your family but the families in your church on a path to leaving a legacy worth leaving. the extra resources on his blog are the icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Theologically Sound and Amazingly Practical, October 6, 2013
The Legacy Path is both theologically sound and amazingly practical. This is a resource that should be in the hands of every parents who desires to take the biblical mandate to diligently disciple their children seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Parenting Book, August 20, 2013
If you are interesting in building a practical plan for the discipleship of your children, then I would buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overview, January 4, 2013
I recommend this book often to parents and think it is a great prep for expecting parents, particularly those expecting their first child. I think every Christian parent with children at home would benefit from reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, clear plan, September 7, 2012
We're planning on implementing this philosophy of ministry at our church and this is an amazing resource for accomplishing that.

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for all families, May 2, 2012
Brian Haynes takes us to the root of our country where the Bible, morals and family values are taught in the home.
This is an awesome book for parents who are intentional about teaching their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great spiritual parenting resource!, April 3, 2012
The Legacy Path is a guide for parents who wish to pass on their faith to the next generations but who may lack the skills to do so. After building a strong foundation upon biblical views of life and success in chapters 1-4, Haynes lays out seven milestones by which we can guide our children through life. With each milestone, he gives core competencies which parents should seek to instill in their children as they approach the next milestone. Practical suggestions for faith talks and milestone celebrations are plenteous, as are the extra resources available online.

As a parent who fluctuates between "we've got this parenting thing down pat" and "we don't have a clue what we're doing," I found Haynes' book to be quite beneficial. While I'm not sure the milestones for our children will look exactly like his, I found great relief to read through a plan that looks ahead and not just at the present. Honestly, if every parent could get hold of the truths in chapters 1-4, we'd be living in a different culture (or at least sub-culture). Those chapters alone are worth the price of the book. An emphasis on the fact that we exist for God, that we must abide in Christ, and that building on the rock means defining success as loving God wholly by following Christ and loving people as Jesus does leaves the reader with much to ponder as a parent. We have a huge task at hand--but we also have the Holy Spirit of God within us to give us wisdom along the way! If you feel perplexed about the task of spiritually parenting your children, get a copy of this book and be encouraged. "No one has been designed as perfectly as you to be the primary faith influencer in the life of your child." (pg 12)

I also found Haynes' many illustrations and insights from his trips to Israel of particular interest. I learned a few things about various Bible passages that I'd never known before--things that illuminate my understanding and deepen my appreciation of God's Word! Again, worth the price of the book.

As an English major, I have to throw in that I found improper comma usage to be rather distracting as I was reading (but who else would even notice?). Also, I was disappointed in the list of traits of a godly woman as most of them were from Proverbs 31 and none were from the New Testament. Traits like submissiveness, self-control, godliness, good works, kindness, purity, and a quiet spirit should absolutely be in that list. Those traits aren't as popular in our feminist culture, but they are biblical!!!

Overall, I highly recommend The Legacy Path. It's a great resource for any parent seeking biblical wisdom regarding the spiritual formation of their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely an Awesome book!, November 25, 2011
As I lead two different father's morning Bible studies I kept trying to find a book that challenged men to be father's that care about their children and also husbands that are sincerely able to do whatever is necessary to serve, support and love their wives. This is the best book on the market for that condensed into a very readable size... Not a massize scary book that guys think will eat up all their free time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Deut. 6 Based Family Ministry, November 6, 2011
Brian Haynes does a great job of giving great advice on the responsibility of the parents to be the main teachers of discipleship formation of their children. Brian starts out by making it very clear that, in order to be efficient examples for children, you have to be living the godly life that God calls us to. It is not okay to simply tell your children this is how you should live a godly life when you yourself are not living that life. The do as I say and not as I do attitude does not work. It is also very unbiblical. God calls parents to teach their children about the ways of God, by living out those ways as well as taking every opportunity to talk to their children about live out those ways for God. This is made very clear in Deut. chapter six in which Brian bases his book. Not only does Brian give a call to all parents to lead their children down "The Legacy Path" but he goes into very helpful advice on how to make it practical, as well as gives examples from his own parenting experience. Just a fair warning, if you are a parent, or even a minister that feels like it is only the churches responsibility to disciple your children, you are in for a complete challenge to that thinking. I, as a single guy with no kids, even feels challenged to live this out. "The Legacy Path" is a great, and challenging book, for parents, and ministers as well. I would suggest this book for every parent, and minister.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Legacy Path: A Biblical & Practical Strategy For Training Your Children, August 18, 2011
In The Legacy Path, Brian Haynes outlines the milestones strategy ([...] as he calls it, based on study of God's Word. One of my favorite things about Haynes' is his faithfulness to Scripture. Before he explains his strategy, he points you to the Bible. He clearly explains what God's Word says about discipleship in the home and church. In The Legacy Path, several times he challenges the reader to stop reading his book and go to God's book.

My favorite chapter from The Legacy Path was Chapter 2 which focused on abiding in Christ. This chapter alone is worth the price of the book! In it, Haynes' helps parents to understand that the strategy is dependent on how close a person is abiding. He again proves his point by encouraging the reader to look at John 15. All followers of Christ would benefit from a careful reading of this chapter.

The rest of the book focused on the legacy path. He explains the key elements of the path which are Faith Talks, God Moments, & Celebration. Haynes then outlines what each milestone is, how the parent can lead Faith Talks & God Moments for each milestone and then how to celebrate a milestone with your child. Several other chapters to note include his final chapters on how the church and home partner together and what if the strategy doesn't work (i.e. you guide your child through the path and they wander from the faith). He makes it clear that the primary faith trainer is the parent, but this does not happen in isolation, but instead in the community of the church. It is both! He has helpful words for parents who have experienced the heartache of a prodigal child.

I highly recommend The Legacy Path to parents. I think it is a valuable resource for the church leader as well. Parents will benefit from a tangible plan by reading The Legacy Path. I think this book along with his previous book, Shift will make a powerful combination in the discipleship of the generations to come.

For a more detailed review, visit my blog at daddy4ms.blogspot.com