Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

on December 21, 2001
My husband is Italian, so Befana (who brings gifts to Italian children on Epiphany) is as much a part of our Christmas traditions as Santa Claus. To be honest, I prefer the story of Befana and find it a lot closer to the spirit of Christmas.
Befana is a somewhat grumpy and fussy old woman. One day Three Kings show up at her door, following a star, and looking for a miraculous baby. They urge Befana to come with them, but Befana is so busy with her household tasks she thinks she doesn't have time.
Little by little though, the idea of a baby who "comes for the poor" (like her) and yet attracts kings as well begins to move her and she decides to follow. She gathers up some goodies she has just baked and a few toys to bring as gifts for the new baby. But she has waited too long, and although she keeps following the star, she never finds the infant.
The lovely aspect of this story is that she begins leaving her gifts for other children, because she recognizes in them the spirit of that miraculous child that the Three Kings sought. I love the idea that children receive presents at Christmas because Jesus' spirit is in them.
This is an essential book for Italian-American families. I think it would also be a good book for teachers or parents of somewhat older children (past Santa Claus believing age) who are interested in Christmas traditions of different cultures. In Russia, the story of Babushka is very similar to the story of Befana (and there are several good picture books about her). And in Mexico, the Three Kings themselves bring presents (and Tomie dePaola has done a wonderful book about the story of the Three Kings that makes a perfect companion to this one).
Overall, a terrific Christmas book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 27, 1997
Tomie DePaola evoked memories of my childhood Christmas' in both visual and verbal splendor. I was taken back to my childhood and the story told to my sisters and myself about the Befana. Not only is this book written at a level that all children can understand and appreciate but it also keeps an adults interest. It beautifully illustrates another legend which inspires the wonderful message of the giving time we call Christmas. This has been accomplished noteably by Mr. DePaola's illustrations that although simple are rich in colour and meaning. As a person of Italian heritage I was elated to see such a wonderful legend captured in print in such a obviously well researched manner. The subtle yet awe inspiring symbolism contained in the book make it a pleasure for adults yet the simpleness and vibrant colours make it equally riveting for children. I would label this book a "must have" for all parents but especially those of Italian descent wanting to share some Italian culture with their children.
on November 10, 2009
I wish there were more books about La Befana in the US; thankfully, even if this is the only one you have ~ it is a WONDERFUL book telling the Italian legend of Befana. In many ways, the story of Befana reminds me of the biblical story of Mary and Martha (Lazarus' sisters). While a guest in thier home, Mary chose to spend time with Jesus while Martha is too busy with her household chores. In The Legend Of Old Befana we meet an old woman who is constantly sweeping. When the procession of kings pass through her town and tell her of the birth of the Child King she decides to follow. She bakes all day in order to have a gift to bring for the Child. She also plans to sweep knowing that the Child's mother will be tired.

However, rather than set off to find the baby Jesus, she tarries in order to sweep. Her decision to delay in favor of sweeping costs her a glimpse of the Child King. To this day, she searches for the Child, visiting children while they sleep, leaving them gifts from her basket.

I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to share this celebrated Italian legend! Another EXCELLENT resource is Ken Lonnquist's CD titled Old Befana: Old Befana. You can also download the entire album in MP3 format which is cheaper and faster. It has the story of La Befana and songs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2010
Written 30 years ago, this Christmas legend presents the story of an old grandma who meticulously takes care of her home and surroundings, as if that was all life had to offer her. Living in a small village in Italy, she kept to herself and seemed unfriendly. The children called her cranky; they remarked that she was always sweeping, starting with her house, her front step, the walkway to the street, and down to the road. Those who passed her house would notice sounds of a woman singing lullabies, and they would sense a delicious smell of freshly baked things, like bread and cookies, and cakes. Every day, the routine was the same, ending up with locking the door and shuttering the windows, climbing into bed, blowing out the lamp and falling asleep.

One night, she awakened to a bright light, right in the middle of the night. When she went to look out the window, she saw a brilliant star growing before her eyes. She mumbled, "How will I ever get my sleep when the dark has turned into day?" Without sleep, she remained in bed; the next morning, she was up, sweeping, just as she always had done. Now, as she swept the path down to the road, she heard bells ringing, birds singing, and she saw a glorious procession of animals and people walking down the road. Three men wearing crowns were dressed in beautiful robes, and when they approached her asking for the way to Bethlehem, she said she never heard of it. They told her they were searching for the Child. She told them that there were many children [in town], and she continued sweeping.

They told her this Child is a King, and would be guided by a bright star. All she could say was that that star kept her up all night, and that she had to get back to her work. When they invited her to come with them, she kept on sweeping for a while, and then went back into the house and began baking, and thinking about what had happened. Later that night, she filled the basket with cakes and cookies and candles she had made, adding a few hot coals to keep the cookies warm. As she began to leave, she decided to take along her broom so she could sweep the room clean for the Baby's mother. She got side-tracked with that old broom, and put aside her basket, and began her usual routine of sweeping her house, and the path to the road.

By the time she was finished, the procession that was to take her with was gone, and the sky was filled with light; the angels were singing, that "The new King is born. Tonight is the Night of Miracles." All of a sudden, as she started running, asking the angels for help in finding the New Born King, she was lifted into the sky, carrying her basket and her broom. Now, she was running in the sky, on this night of Miracles. Well, she never did catch up with the kings and the procession, and she never found the Child in Bethlehem. It is said, that every January 6th, she runs across the sky, visiting all the children while they sleep, leaving them gifts from her basket, and, yes, sweeping their rooms, clean. She says that she never knows which child might be the Baby King of Bethlehem.

As you read this legend, what do you learn from Befana's obsession with her work; she didn't see or notice what was right there before her very eyes. Yet, even though she missed seeing the Baby, she spent the rest of her life looking for Him. Be aware of surprises from God, wherever and whenever He gives them to you. Maybe someone will walk into your life as a gift from God. Be watchful; expect surprises. Don't wait to put down your broom or whatever else is keeping you busy.
on November 3, 2006
This is another wonderful Christian legend by the migthy author Tomie de Paola.

If you prize old tales and love stories about the Catholic faith, then don't miss this one. The story of Old Befana is very engaging, a little sad at times but with a heartwarming ending. This book will make a wonderful gift for the Holidays!
on October 15, 2012
This book became my child's favorite in a very short span of time. She is now 25, but still remembers this sweet and loving story and I bought this book to have at home after we had rented it from the library so often that we needed to own it ourselves. I bought an extra copy and gave to my mother who has read this story to several visiting relative's children.
The story is about Old Befana who can't get her home clean enough for a visit from the Christ child at Christmas. She is so busy worrying and cleaning, she misses his visit completely.

A Lovely Christmas story.
on February 12, 2012
Perfect book for sharing folktales of Italian culture to 4 - 9 year olds and for use in an Italian class.
I purchased this and all of the other Befana books for our Italian Language and Culture School in Stockton.
on December 18, 2011
I used this book while studying Christmas Around the World, more specifically, Italy. Found a video that matched its story pretty close. My 2nd graders really enjoyed this story.
on October 24, 2012
I bought this for my greatniece. Her father has one from long ago and is so glad to have the updated one now for her
on October 10, 2014
This book scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. Seriously, it was so odd and scary that I used to hide it in my closet in hopes that my parents wouldn't read it to me. I don't think it's supposed to be scary, but the thought of an old witch flying around during Christmas time (instead of Santa, who I was more familiar with) was just too much for me to handle.

Having said that, I bought this book as a gift for my best friend's little girl... I figure, I turned out okay despite the Befana traumatizing of my youth, so perhaps she will, too.

They are an Italian family, so they appreciated it!