4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect guide set!
Published 8 months ago by Gary Coffman

Arrived in some very secure packaging from Prima themselves. Overall it is what I expected except for a few small things:

1. None of the bonus maps/posters/bookmarks that originally came with the Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, or Spirit Tracks guides are included.

Published 8 months ago by Paul Haffely

3.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get Zelda guides but Prima some odd choices in content., December 3, 2013
This review is from: The Legend of Zelda Box Set: Prima Official Game Guide (Hardcover)

2. One highly usual thing is that the Twilight Princess guide is a reprint of the original one from 2006 and not the revised edition from 2007 which had 16 more pages of expanded content. Seems like a really weird move to not have used that revised edition for this boxset.

3. And finally, why no space for the Link Between Worlds guide? Would have been great since that came out at the same time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect guide set!, November 27, 2013
I have been looking forward to receiving this set since I learned about and pre-ordered it back in August. I am a huge Zelda fan and always wanted to get my hands on the strategy guides, but never seemed to get around to buying them when they first released and, over time, they became very expensive. This works out great because we can get all of the Collector's Edition guides, plus one never released and only available in this set (Ocarina of Time) for a great price - each guide ends up being less than $20 each not including the packaging.

As other have said, the packaging is wonderful. The treasure chest box is better quality than I had anticipated and the gold, metal etched bookmark is gorgeous! The actual shipping packaging was great, as well - very well protected with lots of foam so it arrived in pristine shape.

The guides themselves are gorgeous! Great detail and amazing artwork. I also love how the paper edges are golden - it gives it a very classy look. I have yet to actually read through them, let alone use them, so I can't say how accurate and useful they are, but I am sure the do their job and then some. I was very concerned about the Skyward Sword guide because the reviews for the original version were absolutely terrible. Fortunately, however, I read that it has been updated to meet the quality of all of the other guides, so that was a huge sigh of relief.

I do have a few gripes for this set, though. They are quite minor in the grand scheme of things, so it didn't kill it for me too much - they are just things I wish they would have included.

First, I am very disappointed that no guides were made for the older Zelda games, i.e. Zelda I and II for NES, Link to the Past for SNES, LInk's Awakening for Gameboy, etc. I wouldn't even mind if they threw several games into one or two books to make it more efficient - it would just have been nice to have guides for every Zelda game in one set.

Second, I was disappointed they didn't leave an empty slot for A Link Between Worlds. They've had this planned for a while and have had to have known the game was coming out the same time as this, as well as the collector's edition guide. Not a huge deal, but again... would have been a nice consideration.

Third (and this is just something I would have thought to be cool - not dinging this set at all for not doing it) it would have been INCREDIBLE if they had some sort of audio device inside that makes the chest opening music from say Ocarina of Time when you open it - similar to when you open a greeting card with pre-recorded messages. Perhaps someday I will figure out how to do it myself - until then I will have to just sing the tune myself :)

Finally, I am sad that some of the bonus content that came with the guides when they were originally released weren't included. I will be honest, I don't know which guides came with what, but I have seen others complain about this, stating that Twilight Princess in particular came with a few goodies.

Overall, I am very happy with this set. For Zelda fans, it is a must buy especially if you don't own many or any of these guides already. Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Collection For New Buyers or Buyers of Previous Editions Alike!!! A MUST HAVE!!!, December 2, 2013
This collection is OUTSTANDING in terms of quality and appearance. Over the years, I have purchased most of these guides and got the additional materials that were included with them (though these were not replicated for the guides in this collection unfortunately). If ever you were looking for a nice collection of books concerning The Legend of Zelda or to aid in completing the games, this set is DEFINITELY for you.

PROS:

1) Quality: The outer box resembles a treasure chest, the likes of which Link finds all across Hyrule (and many other worlds connected to it). It is a sturdy cardboard coated with a gloss-like finish, and it seems to have a magnetic clasp built in to keep the top closed. On the roof of the top, when opened, is a slot containing a metallic (yes, metallic, not vinyl or cardboard) bookmark that has been beautifully etched by what appears to be laser. It contains the logo of the series on one side and the crest of the Royal Family of Hyrule on the other, making for a very attractive (and unexpectedly greater quality) bookmark. The books themselves all appear to be of slightly better quality than their original prints (which had binding problems and easily tore in some instances).

2) Additional Goodies: The most obvious additional item (and most sought after in time I am sure) would be the guide for Ocarina of Time 3D, which is only available through this set (of which only 50,000 exist). I have examined it, and it is a VERY nice guide for the game, and as beautifully put together as its companion guides. Another obvious extra is the metallic bookmark, which is really one of the nicest bookmarks I have seen honestly. Also, something else extra that may be easy to miss is this: some of the materials in this print of the guides have been expanded upon (the number of pages in Skyward Sword's guide has increased by 100 if that tells you anything).

3) Collectible Status: The set comes with a certificate of authenticity that includes a stamped number out of 50,000 and with the printed message and signature of Eiji Aonuma. It marks the set as one out of 50,000 which indicates its collectible status and will almost certainly indicate an increase in value as time goes on.

4) Packaging: I have NEVER seen such good packaging for any item I have bought online as I have for this one. The box the collection was shipped in is a good middle size containing two foam-like holding pieces that fit onto each end of the chest/box which hold it in place (and suspend it both above the shipping box's bottom and below the shipping box's top) and ensures that the package will not move around inside the shipping box at all during transport. I intend to keep the shipping box and packaging the collection came in to transport it again when I am ready to move. You can definitely rest assured that the collection will not suffer damage during shipping.

CONS:

1) Lack of Previous Additional Materials: As indicated before, the previous materials included with the previous print of these guides were not included, nor the map from the recently released Wind Waker HD guide. This is a small complaint, as Twilight Princess's guide originally came with a cloth map of Hyrule, the Phantom Hourglass guide came with a vinyl bookmark of its own, and the Spirit Tracks guide originally came with a printed map of Hyrule. While this is a regrettable exclusion, one should also take note that those materials were fairly cheaply made. Hence, you're not missing out on much in that regard.

2) Exclusion of ALBW Guide: It is a shame that the makers of the collection did not have the foresight to include the recently released collector's guide for A Link Between Worlds in this collection, and considering they came out basically at the same time they easily could have. This is a minor complaint, as the guide for A Link Between Worlds is of course available for purchase and comes with a collector's lithograph of the primary image from A Link Between Worlds. Still, it would have been nice to have gotten them all together in one fell swoop, though of course this would have increased the size and weight of the package even more than it already is (and trust me, it weighs a good amount).

BOTTOM LINE: This is an AWESOME set that will make any collector ecstatic to possess for not only its vast wealth of knowledge concerning the games it covers, but also for its beauty, craftsmanship and quality. If you have not already gotten these guides, I STRONGLY encourage you to pick up this set while you are able to (there are only 50,000 in existence). And if you have already gotten some of these guides as I had, I encourage you to still pick up this set and possibly sell your older copies as I plan to. I plan to keep the extras that came with the previous printings of the guides and sell the guides themselves, as I now have this collection and no longer have any need for them. The mere inclusion of the Ocarina of Time 3D guide (which apparently is not going to be released outside this set according to the publishers) alone should be a pretty good reason to get this collection, and after seeing it in person, I couldn't agree more that it was indeed worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Packaging by Prima!, November 26, 2013
I'm a little disappointed the original extras weren't included, but Prima gets a bonus star for their packaging. Normally when I order something like this, it would come beat up. But Prima provides an amazingly secure box for the set that includes suspending it in some styrofoam away from the edges. Then Amazon packages that box up in their usual half-attempted fashion. So despite the shoddy Amazon packaging, the set still arrived in perfect condition thanks to Prima's packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous set! But one minor flaw, December 2, 2013
Just got my set today and it is wonderful! The magnetic chest looks very nice, and the metallic bookmark is gorgeous! The gilded pages are beautiful and I love the hylian symbol on the front. The only defect (for me anyway) is the spirit tracks guide. The cover was either bound wrong to the pages, the pages were bound wrong to the cover, or the gold details on the front were put upside down - as when you hold the guide upright or what should be the "upside" based on the hylian symbol, the pages are upside-down and facing to the right! I still love the set though and the others are fine. But it is weird opening the guide and having either the pages or the hylian symbol upside down lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set, but..., May 15, 2014
I was very excited when this came out for pre-order, I have all these games and I was looking forward to having the strategy guides (being a little bit of a collector nut..) I had several of the other guides individually prior to the set being announced, so when I bought this, I started selling the originals... I wish I hadn't. This set doesn't come with all the goodies (maps, etc.) that the originals came with. I wish I had paid a little more attention to that (completely my fault, I'll own it).

With that said, it's still a cool set, and if you didn't manage to get the guides on the first run, it's still worth picking up!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good quality - Overpriced, December 24, 2013
I'm an avid Zelda collector and love almost all of the games. I also enjoy collecting some nice books that are mostly all hardcover and made well for long lasting use.

This set is just not good quality all around. Let's start off with the bad:

-All of the books have a huge scent of glue upon opening it, as well as "goops" of glue all around the binding clumping pages together.
-Gild is already wearing off on some of the books upon opening the set
-Badly bound - this is the biggest deal breaker here. It's not sewn and it's a 'perfect binding' which is the least reliable of the sort. Pages will fall out with light use as has been the case with many, many books with this type of binding.
-General scuffs around the books and bookmark - not up to 'collector' standard, a lot of tiny scuffs here and there on all items inside.

The Good:

-The box (chest) feels very good, much better than other cardboard box sets. It feels nice and rigid for what it is. No problems there.
-The game guides themselves provide great amount of content
-The bookmark, besides the few little scuffs, is fantastic. Really nice.

All in all, the binding is the biggest deal breaker for me. It is basically just a paperback glued to a hardcover and provides no real advantage over paperbacks. Pages falling out with ease is not my definition of a collector's set and definitely would not pay the asking price for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collectors item for Zelda fans!, July 7, 2014
This box is a must-have for any Zelda fan. Not only does it include 6 limited edition strategy guides with bonus content not available anywhere else, but it also comes with a beautiful golden etched bookmark and a certificate of authenticity with the limited number and message from the producer of the game. Each book ends up being about 20 dollars so the fact that it's all a limited release, the price is definitely worth it!

As a Zelda fan, I would definitely recommend fans to go out and spend the money because you'll be sorry if you don't! If you're not a Zelda fan, well now's the time to become one!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's amazing, but..., July 14, 2014
This is a really nice collection, a must have for all Zelda fans. It just has some little details I didn't like: 1) My Ocarina of Time 3D guide is backwards, like they messed up when they bound the cover. It doesn't make it useless but it feels weird. 2) Why didn't they include space for the Link between worlds guide? It's a shame my copy of that guie has to be outside the chest. Everything else is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, February 16, 2014
A must have for a Legend of Zelda collector! I loved the chest box and guides have great quality, My husband loves it :)

The Legend of Zelda Box Set: Prima Official Game Guide
The Legend of Zelda Box Set: Prima Official Game Guide by Stephen Stratton (Hardcover - November 26, 2013)
$179.99 $107.99