Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Letter: My Journey Through Love, Loss, and Life
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 14, 2012
They say behind each successful man, there's a smart woman. I say behind each hero there's a Marie.

The Letter by Marie Tillman is a heartfelt insight into her life after her husband's death as well as a journey through all stages of grief she's experienced since then. Pat Tillman's life had been in the spotlight very little before he died as both he and Marie have shied away from the public eye, preferring the coziness of their home, the serenity of their relationship, the comfort of their love. The NFL player who gave up a successful career as a football player to enlist in the army became an icon after his death in April 2004. The circumstances surrounding his death still create a lot of controversy, including two congressional hearings and multiple investigations. Somehow Marie had to learn how to cope with the media infatuation with her husband as well as with all the attention she unwillingly received.

I applaud Marie for her ability to capture real feelings, real emotions making the book that much more intense, allowing readers a close look into a grieving heart. The book contains very little dialogue, but it's easy to follow and finish in one sitting. Its simplicity, its reflection on life's fragility and what matters most as well as how Marie chose to navigate through the murky waters of healing is done gracefully. From a shy lotus lily living in Pat's shadow, Marie grew into a confident woman, working constantly to keep Pat's legacy alive. She went through the stages of grief in her own way, at her own pace, and came out not completely healed but stronger.

The Letter is a compelling, poignant book, a true story of heroism and altruism behind the deadly lines of war.
on June 16, 2012
Marie Tillman's The Letter is a wonderful read...I found I couldn't put it down and keep wanting to learn more about this incredible woman's story. I found myself relating the story and message of The Letter to my own life and believe I am better for having read it.

Marie Tillman's writing style...her `voice' (filled with raw honesty and true candor) ...made the experience even more powerful. I look forward to her next work and recommend this book with as much verve as possible.

The Letter is inspirational, Marie and Pat Tillman's story is amazing, and Marie Tillman, in her earned own right, is a national treasure.

Read The Letter and learn more about the continuing work of the Pat Tillman Foundation.
on June 14, 2012
The words coming from an inspirational figure such as Marie Tillman will improve and help another ones process of healing. The story touches upon an experience of love, loss and rebuilding. I truly feel after reading this story will bring great value to those who need a real life eye opener.
on April 2, 2013
Usually stories about loss are extremely sappy and religious. This was straight and to the point. She had no words for her loss, and she didn't try to find God in all the pain. This story really spoke to me in that sense. Not everyone is religious, but everyone experiences pain. I felt it was well written and one of the better memoirs I have read.
on July 8, 2012
4.5 stars A quick read which chronicles Marie Tillman's days and years after the death of her husband, Pat. I, too, read Krakauer's Where Men Win Glory and wondered what the family perspective would be. Because of the title, I'd expected "the letter" to be more of a significant player in the book; however, it ultimately becomes just the right focus. As a former Air Force officer who dealt with mortuary affairs, I saw the anguish of loved ones left behind and wondered what their lives would be like once the military stepped away and life had to go on. Marie tells of hiding away, of trying to stay out of the spotlight but still keep Pat's memory and Foundation going, and of fearing returning to the social and dating scenes. I appreciate Marie's candor and willingness to let us in on her world.
on December 28, 2013
I read Krakauer's book and watched the documentary about Pat Tillman. This book draws the reader in, and appears to hold little back. The insights into Pat Tillman as a person and husband are deep. It takes guts to expose a relationship in this way.

Part of the way through the book, I researched Marie Tillman, and was glad that I did. (Without being specific, she appears to have a new, fulfilling life.) I'm not sure I could have finished the book if I hadn't. It was simply too upsetting from so many perspectives.

The book is well written, and a quick read, but emotionally trying so be prepared if you decide to purchase it.
on November 23, 2012
Like most football fans of age around 9/11 I had heard about Pat Tillman. I hadn't thought much about him until I saw this book. Having recently lost my Dad it gave me a lot of new perspective on Life, loss, and grief. We all have to handle this trying time in our own way. Marie's story helped me to come to terms a bit more with my own loss and to start to move on. So much so that I'm likely going to give this book away to another family member who lost someone close to them.

You don't need to have lost someone and be going through the grieving process to enjoy this book though. It's a very quick and poignant read that I would highly recommend. I had a hard time putting it down and I suspect you'll have the same problem.
on August 15, 2012
I was impressed with the way that Marie opens herself up in this honest and moving memoir. Pat Tillman was an extraordinary man and she has done a wonderful job keeping his memory alive and running a wonderful organization in his name. I was deeply moved by this memoir and her journey through an unimaginable and horrific ordeal of Pat's death and consequent cover up. Thank you Marie for writing this book, for sharing Pat Tillman with the world.
on July 2, 2012
All I can say is what a great read. I don't think I've ever read a book about loss or grief, I've been witness to it but not read about it. I think it takes great courage for someone to sit down and write about a time in their life such as losing their spouse. I commend Ms. Tillman for having the courage to do it.
on June 19, 2012
Marie Tillman captured the hearts and sympathy of the nation when her young husband Pat Tillman was killed in Afghanistan. In the months and years following his death, Marie searched for her path in life and how to continue without Pat. In his "Just in Case" letter left behind were the words from Pat that would carry her forward.

This book is written purely from the heart, with raw emotion and honest feelings openly shared. Marie has done an amazing job of bringing us into her world and showing us her journey through her grief. If you have lost someone special to you, or ever tried to help someone in their grief, The Letter will speak to you.

Amazing book...and what an amazing young lady Marie is.