5.0 out of 5 stars Brett rules

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time
Published 19 months ago by Jeremy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brett rules, June 26, 2009
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
I've been reading a lot of fratire books lately and this one is definitely one of my favorites. I liked Kutgen's other book "the Average American Male" and I think this one is even better. It has the same sort of crude man humor, but it also has a much more interesting plot. Also, the story is told from the perspective of three main characters which gives you a cool look into how they see the same things differently. The Brett character is hilarious. The inhumane (this is an understatement) things he does to women is so outrageously funny that the author should consider writing another book just about Brett. I know it's only fiction, but it is darn funny to read about. Reading things from the character Heather's perspective reminds me of why I dumped my last girlfriend. She and Heather are both snobby, materialistic, sorority girls without a clue. Great job Kultgen and bring on the next one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, December 15, 2012
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
Let me just preface this by saying I am a male college student, and probably the intended audience for this book. However, I must say that by the time I finished this book, I considered it to be a complete waste of my time. Let's start by first looking at what worked for the book: the layout. The way Kultgen tells the story through the three different characters is admittedly interesting. It keeps you turning the page and always reading *just* one more chapter. This is largely what got me through the 400+ pages.

Let's now look at what doesn't work for the book: the story. It starts out interesting, and builds a good base of characters, all telling this story in retrospect and continuously referring to some event as to why they all hate each other in the present. It's an interesting premise and makes it seem to the reader that there is some really interesting explanation to all of this if you just continue reading. Well, I continued reading. And reading. And reading. The story doesn't really even get to any sort of semblance of an ending until the last 30 pages or so. All the while, you're reading these 400 pages and hating the characters more and more. The situations get increasingly farfetched and the characters' reactions to everything start to lose any connection to their personality, or how any real human would react, and become more just plot devices to reach an ending. Speaking of, for all of your dedicated reading, you are rewarded with an ending that just seems genuinely thrown together. For instance, a plan is hatched and executed all in the span of one page. For 400+ pages, I expected more.

In summary, the book starts off well, with some real potential, however, once you get about halfway you want to start getting to what "The Lie" is actually about. You don't. The only reason I finished the last quarter was mainly because I wanted to finish the book, just to say I had, not because I had interest in the story anymore. It's outlandish, and towards the end, you lose any identifiability you had with any of the characters and come to hate them all and whatever this whole story has become. Considering all the books that are out there, I would not waste my money on this one. The layout of this book and Kultgen's blue collar storytelling is the only thing that holds this together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Social Misfits, March 22, 2010
AndreaDenise (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
This is my first Chad Kultgen read. The storyline is inconceivable and repulsive yet comical.

Brett, the son of a wealthy businessman has little admiration for women. This borderline psychopath isn't interested in holy matrimony, parenthood or operating his father's empire. Brett merely craves evoking as much agony and degradation as possible. His companionship with fellow student, Kyle, is Brett's only semi-rational relationship with another human being.

An intellectual bookworm, Kyle aspires to attend medical school. Unfortunately, he meets and falls in love with a dim-witted, self-seeking and untrustworthy freshman named, Heather.

Heather attends college with the hope of acquiring a successful husband. She sets her sights on Brett but settles for Kyle instead. Like SERIOUSLY, why didn't Heather simply utilize her brain for once in her pathetic life?

I do consider most of the context distasteful. Frankly, I'm a bit mystified that my best friend recommended it. On the flip side, the author's tale is both appalling and brilliant.

Rating: 8

Plot: 8

Characters: 8 (although jaded at times)

Ending: 8

Enjoyment: 8

Cover: 8

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 5, 2014
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
Good read for the guy who doesnt like to read

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, February 22, 2014
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
like all of the other chad kultgen books, the lie is a great read that you wont want to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome story, awesome characters, February 13, 2014
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is a great read. It's hilarious and at times stressful, and you won't be able to put it down. The characters are fun to follow as they go through their misadventures and ill-laid plans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Phil, December 10, 2013
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
Really funny. Like really funny. All of the characters are demons, but it was a page turner. I'd reccommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book., September 13, 2013
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
This book is outstanding. The entire story was great, and the end of the book is insane. Extremely well written. I'd recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The lie, September 10, 2013
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
The book keeps the reader intrigued but goes off general stereotypes. The book is demeaning towards women and gives a skewed view of college life and Greek life for most individuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars addicted, September 10, 2013
This review is from: The Lie: A Novel (Paperback)
Chad's books give us girls a little insight. A new perspecive on things should always be welcome and I think this is definately a new one.

The Lie: A Novel
The Lie: A Novel by Chad Kultgen (Paperback - March 3, 2009)
$13.99 $12.30