5.0 out of 5 stars The Quality Continues

3.0 out of 5 stars Staging & Styling Prompts
Published 20 months ago by LKP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quality Continues, October 18, 2012
This review is from: The Life of a Bowerbird: Creating Beautiful Interiors with the Things You Collect (Hardcover)
Similar to the other books by Sibella Court, this one is gorgeous. Attention to detail is the key aspect of "Bowerbird." From the beautiful covers, ribbon bookmark, thick paper, and stunning photography, this is a joy. I love the photos of the arranged objects, especially the books and ephemera. I am never disappointed with her books. Be cautioned, however, that this is not a design book with tips and instruction. It is basically a photography book very light on the text. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Staging & Styling Prompts, January 5, 2013
LKP (Ancram, NY) - See all my reviews
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the plus side, I like the "extra effort" presentation of the book, including an embossed cover, quality paper, ribbon book mark and handsome leather-like spine. I also have the previous books by Sibella Court, so I was familiar with her personal aesthetic -- and was eager to see more of her suggestions for creating eclectic tableaus, using all of my "stuff". Personally, I like her "anthropolgie" vibe, and I relate to some of her comments......For instance: "I love a mad mantle!". Well, I can't imagine myself actually saying that phrase.....but I really do know what she means, and completely agree. I am thinking back to the evolving "mad mantle" in the Sixties movie "Darling" with Julie Christie. The changing tableau on the mantle provided a visual record of what happened throughout the movie, and the image has stayed with me. Decor can have THAT kind of personal appeal -- it can be a temporary/shifting reflection of your state of mind; an ever-changing gathering of stuff, from the ridiculous to the sublime. That is Court's strong point, as a visual taste-maker, and I think her books provide great idea "prompts" that anyone can adapt to their own aesthetic. While I did not find the preponderance of taxidermy to be a distraction throughout the book -- I take issue with the end papers. One opens the book to a large needlessly-discouraging photograph of dead birds, tagged and laying in rows. In the whole wide world of images that could have been used for the end papers.....This would have been my last choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is beautiful..., October 17, 2012
...it really is. The cover has amazing detail, the binding is leather (or pleather, not sure but either way it's a nice detail), and it is just a hint at what is inside this book. Each page is full of neutral colors, vintage and antique collections displayed beautifully. The book is not heavy on text, but the pictures are rich and dreamy, inspiring, and complex and simple all at the same time. The colors are muted and soft and the collections include items like vintage glass, scissors, wood bobbins of thread, tools, taxidermy, specimens, old wood, anything you could possibly collect that is old and special. I can see my many collections of flea market finds, beads, and old things in the pages of this book and the inspiration is endless.

1.0 out of 5 stars A joke, June 8, 2013
F. Buehler (Canyon Creek OR) - See all my reviews
This book must be a joke. It's beautifully produced, a gorgeous "keep-your-place" ribbon and all, with the occasional exception of dark text over dark photos. But really - she "collects" tape, brown paper, string, and asks the wait-staff at a restaurant to clean her oyster shells so she can "collect" them after a memorable lunch? And photos of dead birds (bird skins normally collected for scientific purposes by museums and universities) - on the inside front and back covers - when the title is "The Life of a Bowerbird." I was looking for ideas on displaying arrays of objects, and I don't object to bones, rocks, etc. But all she does is pile up paper clips, nails, wads of tissue paper, and call it interior design. Awful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite Presentation, November 5, 2012
No only did I love all of the items Sibella Court collects but I was blown away by the attention to detail put into each background on every page! It is a visually stunning book - maybe some will be disappointed in that it doesn't go into detail regarding the title claim "..creating beautiful interiors with the things you collect" but it did inspire me to order other books of hers as this is the first I've owned.

I am very pleased with the book and will make it a permanent part of my collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many dead things, November 1, 2012
I have all of her books and this is my least favorite. Dead birds, dead seahorses and stuffed owls...too many dead things. It just made me feel bad and I didn't want to turn the pages because I was afraid of what sad thing I would see next. Ninety percent of the book is fine but I wish I would have looked at this before I ordered it. Her other books are far better on many levels...color and clarity included. Still, her books are always interesting and I'm sure other people will enjoy this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Really wanted to love it, but..., December 23, 2012
andria lisle (Memphis, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book because all my favorite design gurus sing the praises of Sibella Court, and I've admired her earlier books. A day after ordering it from Amazon, I browsed through a copy at Anthropologie, and immediately thought, "uh-oh." While The Life of a Bowerbird is a beautiful coffee table book to linger with over a cup of coffee, it doesn't really offer any practical tips as claimed by the subtitle. And although the pictures are lovely, the text/layout is hard to read. I ultimately decided to return the book, because I'd honestly rather spend my money on accumulating some of the things pictured in the book than own the book itself, which features page after page of fascinating collections of feathers, bones, buttons, etc. but no real substance beyond the eye candy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Life of a Bowerbird., May 15, 2013
I like it as an art book, coffee table book and design book. Also love the blues. For some people it may seem a little morbid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bowerbird?, March 16, 2013
The one thing I was really interested in seeing was an actual Bowerbird nest. This was the inspiration for the book right? To start with the inside covers were full of pictures of neatly arranged dead birds. A truly negative image of the theme of the Bowerbird, and what does that say about me as a possible Bowerbird?
I have been through this book hoping for inspiration to show off my collections without success. The author shows off piles of "her" collectibles by neatly arranging them in groupings for the camera, but no effort towards actual displays as far as I am concerned. I needed ideas for shadow boxes or framing for my items or other ways to display them. I do not want to just put my objects out on tables to be messed with by wandering hands as the author appears to have done.

2.0 out of 5 stars pretty and useless, April 9, 2014
I've liked other books by Ms. Court, but this one I actually disliked. It goes beyond the "photo collage" types of decor coffee-table books, which I generally like, and is just rather twee photos of tiny areas, without showing the big picture or even the entire room. The first thing you see when you open the book is an "artistic" photo of carefully arranged dead birds. Please. I sent it back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›