5.0 out of 5 stars I wore my copy out
Published on October 19, 2009 by Scott M. Warnick

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Love it.....but was hoping for list of topics additionally.
Published 17 days ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I wore my copy out, October 19, 2009
This review is from: The Life Recovery Devotional: Thirty Meditations from Scripture for Each Step in Recovery (Paperback)
I am not sure what the previous reviewer (Mona Lisa) was reviewing this book or 12 step programs in general. I have to agree with one facet of what she said, namely that there is really no such thing as a secular 12 step program. AA started out by unabashedly Christian; the steps reflect the Biblical model of repentance, confession, forgivenss and service. For this reason, the premise of the first 3 steps is that recovery depends on creating and maintaining a close relationship to God. Attempts to use the steps together with a non-Christian philosophy start by renaming God as "my Higher Power." After that the syncretism starts in earnest: the steps are blended with classical Buddhism, New Age, agnosticism and a huge dose of pop psychology ("healing your inner child"). I don't think the resulting collage of ideas can really heal anyone. It would be much more honest and probably more therapeutic if the originators of the many, many 12 step spinoff groups (SLAA, LA, NA, OA etc.) and AA itself would be honest to themselves and their group members and speak the truth in love: the 12 steps are religious by their nature.
Since I am a committed evangelical Christian the inescapably religious nature of the 12 steps doesn't bother me at all--for me, the more religious (really Christian) content the better. I believe that the Holy Spirit heals in response to genuine faith as expressed in humility, trust in God and genuine love for others. For that reason, this book was (literally) a godsend for me. It meant that I could couple solid Biblical doctrine with practical tools and rebuild my life "one day at a time."
If you are not a Christian, this isn't the meditation book for you. I suggest you shop carefully a choose one that matches your mindset. If you are a Christian struggling with habitual sin or caught in an addiction cycle it is invaluable--like sitting down for an hour every day for a therapy session with the Apostle Paul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have "Life Recovery Devotional"!, August 1, 2010
The Life Recovery Bible NLT, The Life Recovery Workbook and The Life Recovery Devotional: Thirty Meditations from Scripture for Each Step in Recovery written by Stephen Arterburn and David Stoop are the best recovery books I've ever worked through! The three together build off of each one and reinforce each other as you travel through them together with a trusted sponsor. I asked my priest to be my sponsor as I am not an alcoholic but struggle with addiction with food and eating disorders, depression, a suicidal attempt plus a movement disorder that take over and control my life for days on end. This study has filled me with so much inspiration and hope in life again, that the clarity and understanding I've found with these books has allowed my faith to continue to grow stronger in my belief of a higher power. I've found through these books that my spiritual side is a very important part of the recovery process. The Life Recovery Devotional is my favorite of the collection because it uses scripture to reinforce the guidance and encouragement offered in this devotional bringing so much clarity and understanding to the Steps and scripture. The workbook is a must have also to use with a trusted sponsor as it offers deep, challenging questions that help you to search deep and find and face your shortcomings. Writing out and discussing your moral inventory with your sponsor as you go through the steps helped me to face my past, shortcomings, and secrets that kept me full of shame and guilt and unworthiness. These three books worked together can absolutely change your attitude and open up a whole new life full of beauty, hope, peace, serenity, purpose and faith. They are written so they may be used for any type of addiction and/or depression. They are worth the financial investment and when you willingly go into working these books with complete honesty about yourself, no matter how difficult it can be, with your sponsor and your higher power, you too can finally be free and whole again, leaving your past troubles behind you; forgiven, and move forward into the present and future with hope and purpose, humility, strenth in character and spiritual knowledge and understanding. I've read a lot of self help books in the past trying to change and gain control over myself, never succeeding, but The Life Recovery Bible NLT, The Life Recovery Workbook and The Life Recovery Devotional is the key to it all when used along with a trustworty christian sponsor or a sponsor who has been there and came through with a new and hopeful life to look forward to. You won't want to miss these books if you are really ready to change!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing 12-step Devotional, December 17, 2009
R. Rickert (Southeast PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a great devotional for anyone with hurts, hangups, or habits. It is refreshing and helps me to refocus when I forget to take one day at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Devotion for Addicts, September 29, 2013
connie pruitt (KERNERSVILLE, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This devotional uses scripture to aid in the recovery from addiction. The discussion incorporates the scripture into practical use to stay on the straight and narrow path to God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily read by all my class, September 3, 2013
Many of the women have not read the Old Testament so this is a challenge for them but a good one. I personally have read this for two years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Draws me closer to God, August 7, 2013
I highly recommend this devotional to anyone who wants to have a deeper relationship with God by reading His Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daily reading, July 29, 2013
Amazon Customer (Renton, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This devotional is great. I love the scriptures that were selected as insights into the steps. I read one each day, write my thoughts about it and send it to my sponsor and sponsees. It is a powerful tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 15, 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, April 12, 2014
Christian reader (the great state of Texas) - See all my reviews
The Life Recovery Devotional is one of the best, most inspiring, and helpful books I have read. It is a scriptural approach to the 12 steps and features 30 devotions for each of the 12 steps and give Biblical support for each one. I consider it a must have for Christians working the 12 steps for any program.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good an d though provoking, January 8, 2014
alan kent (melbourne, victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
use it every morning and it does encourage me to recovery. I amnot an alchloc or a drug user but i find it good to assit to find the strength with other addictions of sin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›