The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$12.31 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 10, 2005
In the course of reading 100's of books from the self-growth, personality typing and "spritual path" genres, I have developed a fair deal of skepticism along the way. This book was originally recommended to me by a friend whose insights I respect-- but after a cursory browse at the bookstore I was put off by the fact that it basically appeared to be about numerology. I consulted with my friend who assured me that this was something "different," and "not really numerology." Against my better judgment, I purchased to book.

I'm glad I did.

Dan Millman-- best known for his "Peaceful Warrior" books-- has written a rather extraordinary and slightly (to my way of thinking) "mysterious" book, based on the simple premise that we all have a "birth number" (based on our birth date) which serves as an indicator of the path to follow in finding our life purpose. There is absolutely NO reason why this makes sense, nor why it would work. Except... it does. And I am not alone in feeling mystified-- Millman, himself, has openly confessed that he has NO IDEA why it works. However, I have checked it against dozens of people I know well, and the system comes up 70-80% accurate every time-- FAR over and above any kind of statistical "random chance." What's more surprising is that the different life path characteristics are fairly specific-- not just vague explanations that "could fit anyone." I back-checked this by trying to apply my parents' and my ex-wife's numbers to myself-- and could barely relate, at all.

The 430+ page volume is divided into five main sections.

Part 1 explains the Life-Purpose system, both from a mathematical perspective, and in terms of how it actually works.

Part 2 describes the Issues and Energies of life-- these are the 10 primary "issues" or life lessons humans work with on their journey through life.

Part 3 details the paths of each possible life-purpose number, including basic traits, positive and negative aspects, health, relationships, work and finance. Each chapter also includes a list of well-known people of that number-- which should probably be taken with a grain of salt, given that people express themselves differently. The chapters conclude with tips on fulfilling your particular destiny.

Part 4 covers Millman's 17 "Laws of Spirit." Each different life-purpose number specifically "works with" a set of these laws.

Part 5 deals with Applied Wisdom-- or how to make the system work for you, which includes relationships, deriving "composite numbers" for couples, life cycles, and more.

Final thoughts: Highly recommended (9 out of 10 possible bookmarks) for spiritual seekers, and people on a path to self-understanding. It's easy to read, and easy to work with. If you consider yourself a "hard-core scientist" who requires documentable and reproducible "proof" for a system, this book is probably not for you. Otherwise it's great.

Thanks for reading!

--Peter
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
"I don't claim that the Life-Purpose System is based upon conventional science or even logic; I can't rationally explain how people's seemingly arbitrary dates of birth on the Gregorian calendar could possible reveal valid, reliable information about their life purpose. I only know, with certainty based on years of empirical testing, that the system works-that it can bring lives into focus." - From the book

In The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose, author Dan Millman explains an intriguing system based on the numerical reduction of your birth date. Instead of traditional numerological meanings, however, Millman applies a unique system that he learned from oral tradition. The key to the Life-Purpose system is determining and interpreting birth numbers, unlocking a path to personal transformation.

There are many systems of personality typing in both psychological and spiritual traditions. According to Millman, these systems only generate the *impulse* to change. However, the Life-Purpose System actually provides the *means* of doing so, especially in light of the universal spiritual laws that he shares in the second part of the book.

There are nine different soul paths thirty-seven possible numbers for the twentieth century. If these nine paths were colors, says Millman, then the variations show the different hues within that type. For example, I'm a 25/7, but other variations of 7 energy include 16/7, 34/7, and 43/7. All 7's share the same key issues, but the "flavors" differ slightly, as do the universal spiritual laws that provide leverage to change your life.

The Life You Were Born to Live outlines the meaning of component digits, understanding life purpose, working each path positively and negatively, and likely health issues. Millman gives an overview of relationship strengths and pitfalls for each soul path, as well as talents, work, and finances. Designed to deepen self-understanding, the author provides useful question, recommendations, and the appropriate spiritual laws affecting each path. The book also highlights famous people for each numerical variation. Millman then takes over 70 pages describing seventeen Laws of Spirit that aid in transformation.

Although this 447-page book has been around for a while, I recently came across The Life You Were Born to Live at an opportune time. Feeling my customary existential angst that hits every few months-"why am I here, anyway?"-I did a simple 3-card Tarot reading that confirmed what I had learned from another personality system (Ansir). Nothing new to me, ironically. After wondering aimlessly in a large bookstore, I picked up this book and turned to my soul path numbers. Everything I already knew was there and much more, confirming the wisdom I received from the Tarot. Nevertheless, there was something about *this* time that made the crucial information (finally) stick. It's all about trusting self and personal intuition for my particular life path-and I finally "got it".

I had a major shift in the bookstore just from a brief reading about my unique combination of numbers. It wasn't until a later visit that I actually purchased the book. That cursory reading was all I needed, though-and I'm grateful. While the section on the Laws of Spirit may be helpful for many, there weren't the most important aspects for my own search even though they were certainly applicable.

The description of my son's numerical energy was uncanny. At 7 years old, I have actually *heard* my son use a phrase that Millman describes as being a hallmark of my son's type!

For those interested in finding out why they're here (and really, who isn't but the most unconscious?), The Life You Were Born to Live is an intriguing personalized system that not only gives you surprising insights into your motivations, personality, and challenges but also practical tools for navigating your soul path for spiritual fulfillment.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2000
The contents of this book will speak truths to you that will strike a chord in your soul. I have found mediocre success in astrology-based profiles- but in this book you will find an eerily accurate description of yourself.
Dan Millman has written many wonderful books about how to explore your highest path, but this is the most inexplicable. On Dan's most recent appearance in Atlanta, I asked him why this system is SO ACCURATE. His response was, "I don't know why. But it is dead on every time."
I have done spiritual consultant work for years. No system is more accurate than the one presented here. My number using this system is 37/10. At first this meant nothing until I started to read the description of this path: I discovered everything from an accurate description of my creative process to weakness in my heart and knees. No word written in this book was untrue.
Since then (about a year ago), I have offered consultation to clients and friends using tarot cards and this book. What is written in this book I use as a basis for the reading. It does not fail to be true.
You may be assured your birth number speaks volumes of you. Upon buying this book, you can calculate your loved ones' numbers and help them. The system will remain intact and very accurate.
on December 1, 2000
I loved this book. all of Millman's book have helped me on my spiritual path. For anyone who likes Millman I would also recommend the book An Encounter With A Prophet.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2000
Hello, When I stumbled across this book, I was desperatlyseeking solutions to my life's downfalls. With the guidance and advice from this book, I've come to realize all of my downfalls have been my fault. This has been a revalation to me. If you are searching for spiritual guidance and answers to your problems in life, this book is for you. It has also been a guide to understanding my family. Now that I know their lifes purpose I can stop asking myself why they act the way they do. It has brought me and my family closer together with it's accuracy to our personalities. There's no other book like this one. It has also helped in my relationships with men. The first thing I do before I date someone is find out their lifes purpose, and see if they are living in the negative or the positive. This book has alot of useful information on What jobs will suit your type, whether your living your life in the negative or the positive, what universal laws to use inorder to live a fulfilled life, and if you have a spouse or mate, it will tell you the negative and positive of your relationship by adding you and your mates birthdays together.. I forgot to mention all you have to do is add your birthday to find your lifes purpose..It's so easy and accurate.. Everyone I show this book to can't believe the accuracy, except those in denial of their own faults.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 1999
I'm not a believer in numerology or astrology. However, when given the challenge, I found it difficult to disprove the rather uncanny descriptions of life paths in this book. When I was first introduced to this book, I assumed it was all hocus-pocus and a complete waste of time. Now, I am glad I took the time to read it. Overall, Mr. Millman has written a good book and I encourage everyone to read it. You don't have to believe everything you read but you just might find strangely accurate details about your life.
on June 12, 2002
Whether or not the Life Purpose System works for you, there is plenty of wisdom in this book to learn from. The 'Laws' in the second half of the book open your eyes to the simple laws of the universe which also apply our lives.
For me personally, the life purpose system was extremely accurate & confirmed some of the issues I already knew I had. By reading your own life path & all the paths, it may help you to understand your friends & family as well. Sometimes it helps us to know that everyone has their positive & negative sides, & that we all have our own issues to work through. By understanding this, maybe we can become more tolerant towards each other.
A brilliantly inspiring book.
on September 26, 1998
I got this book 3 years ago during a time when I did not want to see many home truths that were blatantly obvious to all but myself. I read it then and almost threw it out the back door. However, I am mighty pleased with myself for keeping it. I now realise how ignorant I was then.
After much growth and acceptance of my past and present personal experiences, I have read this book again and have seen the messages in a different light.
It was not easy to see the truths of myself but I have no doubt that I am here to learn lessons in this lifetime. For all the things that has happened to me, I have jumped tremendous hurdles in my 25 years so far. I work with many people who lack clarity of direction in life now and I see a trend in what the theories in this book offer.
I thoroughly recommend this book to one and all, however I hope that we all know well enough that there is nothing on earth that gives us all the answers. There is no black and white, only shades of gray. Be wary of taking this in place of a bible cos, that would be a dishonour to the author. See it for what it is and take the coloured glasses off. Perhaps then we can have a better view of where we are and why we are here.
This book does not make the whole equation. The balance come from us knowing who we are appreciating ourselves for being us. We are who we make ourselves to be. It is our destiny to use the tools given to us to help us be who we are meant to be. Everyone is given different tools. It is up to us to decide if whe make us of it. It will become clear if we open ourselves without judgement.
on January 13, 2002
I have been a numerologist for many years, and I use this book often as a guide. Mr. Millman has a very strong connection to source energy, and I have found his life path descriptions to be
uncannily accurate.
Although not a complete guide to numerology, I always refer to this book when describing the Life Path in my readings. It gives a useful description of a person's general vibration for each birth date.
Mr. Millman is not didactic in his presentation -- the book is well written, easy to follow, and very helpful. If you are new to the subject of numerology, reading your own life path description will be revelatory! And you can use it to help your friends discover more about themselves.
If you are a professional numerologist, Millman does not use master numbers, but prefers a reduction where all of the numbers are added singly and summed. I have found this system to be useful, but sometimes resulting in loss of information. But as an overall guide to the life path, I have found this book to be invaluable.
What I like most about the book is its overall tone. There is an energy of clarity and helpfulness that comes through the pages, every time I refer to it. It seems to spark my own intuition!
For the professional numerologist or those who are just curious, this is a book well worth studying.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
There are times in my life when I feel I don't have the answers. There are times in my life I don't understand myself, the choices I make, or the direction I'm heading in. During those times, I open up this book, and I immediately feel a sense of hope, pride, enjoyment, excitement, and possibility. There are very few books that I have read that can elicit such a response out of me.

This book explores an old science, the science of numbers, and their relationship to all things. I have shared this book with countless individuals, and every person that I have, has had the same response - sheer awe at how accurate the descriptions they encounter about themselves are. But that's just the start of this powerful book. This book does more than simply tell you about yourself.

It gives you the tools to shine as the unique individual that you are. It gives you the map, the compass, and guideposts all along the way. It explores many subjects of living in alignment with your true life purpose. To those who feel something missing from their life, who are seeking to expand and grow as an individual, to become one with their true nature, this book will help you immeasurably.