5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Greene Gets It
Published on January 14, 2011 by Norma Lehmeierhartie

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Keep My Interest
Published on May 1, 2011 by Cindy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Greene Gets It, January 14, 2011
Bob Greene has never had a weight issue. Why his interest in weight control and overall fitness? It may have started with his bed-ridden great-grandmother...bedridden due to obesity. She claimed it was because she had a bad knee...all Greene knew was that she was missing out of life. From an early age, he lectured his parents about the importance of eating healthy food. Whatever the reason for his dedication to helping others, the reader benefits from his passion.

I bought this book because I have struggled with weight all my life. It was the "Get Motivated" that got me--I know that when I am motivated, the weight (almost) effortlessly comes off. I was very pleased with my purchase and am now losing weight!

Greene claims that he's never seen anyone stick to healthy eating and exercise without having their emotional life in order. He writes: "In most cases, the biggest barriers to losing weight and keeping it off are related to the way you think, how you feel, and how you manage your life."

The key is to stay motivated, he believes, not the exact diet/exercise program. In order to succeed, we must take a hard look at ourselves--what motivates us, our fears and the voice in our heads.

Greene gets some help with the book--from Ann Kearney-Cooke, PhD, an expert in body image and weight control and with Janis Jibrin, MS, RD, a dietitian specializing in weight loss and eating disorders. The three of them take an integrated approach to weight loss, with an emphasis on change the attitude and the way you live=creating new habits and a new identity.

The book discusses the many obstacles to weight loss, including an aversion to pain/discomfort and how a new attitude towards them changes everything. For example, if discomfort from feeling hungry or exercise makes you want to stop and seek comfort with food or inactivity, the recommendation is to view discomfort as a doable challenge.

Later chapters get specific:

* Overcoming overeating
* Becoming a healthy eater
* Ending exercise aversion
* Improving your body image
* learning how to maintain weight loss
* Pursuing happiness

Greene emphasizes that we can approach weight loss in two ways: either we can feel sorry for ourselves or see the challenges ahead as an opportunity for a better life--to really live the life you want.

Bob Greene is compassionate and empathetic about anyone with a weight problem. He has solid advice about dealing with any emotional and psychological issues before tackling weight loss. If you find yourself--like Greene's great-grandmother--declining to live life to the fullest because of weight loss issues, this book is for you. Like the title says--live the life you want!

My two cents...as an interior designer and author on the subject, for added motivation and to feel better about yourself while reading this book, take a little extra time and fix up your home/workspace, too. I have had countless clients who, after having their homes made to look and feel better (getting it organized, rid of clutter, making it a reflection of their true selves...) suddenly thinking that they are worth it to lose weight...and do! Surround yourself with beauty and you will feel better about yourself, more confident and more motivated to change!

Highly recommend.

Author, Harmonious Environment Beautify, Detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - I Wish There Was More, January 17, 2011
If you are familiar with Oprah, you probably know of his trainer, Bob Greene. I have always been a fan of his because of his encouraging yet forceful manner and his vast knowledge. His greatest challenge has to be Oprah because in spite of his good work, she remains overweight. She is an emotional eater, and that is what this book is about. As an emotional eater, I understand the connection.

Bob seems to be very analytical and has an impressive background in exercise science and nutrition. He has long said that he understands there is an emotional connection to food, even though he does not experience it himself. To compliment his background, he has enlisted the aid of Ann Kearney-Cooke Ph.D, and Janis Jibrin M.S. R.D.

This book is meant to appeal to the emotional side of the mind. The first thing you notice is the square shape of the book and the beautiful formatting of the pages. This is a very inviting and easy book to read. It is thoughtfully arranged with the first section about emotional eating, and the last about happiness (the subjects in order that emotional eaters will relate to most). Sandwiched in between they discuss body image, healthy eating and the value of exercise.

The book starts by delving into how your feelings can become barriers to reaching your goal. This may be the best part of the book. The events of your past such as marital problems, loss of friends and family and physical and sexual abuse can be strong subconscious drivers. This will probably invite you to examine your own background. They even discuss the role of depression and some possible causes. As a hypnotherapist, I find that most overweight people have some unresolved issues. The ideas here will help some people, but for deep emotional issues you probably will want more.

This book is written in a very personal manner while keeping a balance of knowledge and encouragement. There is a wealth of good, usable information, especially the section about sugar, fat and salt. Bob is very good at blowing up excuses for not exercising. I think they could have picked a more encouraging title than "Ending Exercise Aversion". I would have liked to see more about how to make exercise a part of daily life. Several times he mentions that losing and maintaining weight is hard. That may not be the best idea to plant in the reader's head.

I really enjoyed this book and would rate it 4 ˝ stars. It is a well written book that is designed to make you think. This is not another diet; it is about examining your relationships, especially to food and yourself. The chapters on emotional eating and happiness could easily be twice as long. It is a great place to start your journey. The appendix has more useful information and you can download the eating log.

I would recommend following this with Bob's other book "The Best Life Diet" and another on emotional eating. Analytical readers might enjoy The Beck Diet Solution by Judith S. Beck. If you are spiritual, you might enjoy "A Course in Weight Loss" by Marianne Williamson, which was inspired by a conversation with Oprah.

Bill Cashell - Author of "The Emotional Diet"

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book addressing problems some people have when it comes to weight loss and being happy, March 29, 2011
"The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy" is the newest book by fitness author Bob Greene, who also wrote "Make the Connection: Ten Steps to a Better Body and a Better Life," "Keep the Connection: Choices for a Better Body and a Healthier Life," "The Best Life Diet," and a number of others. This book, written with psychologist Ann Kearney-Cooke and nutritionist Janis Jibrin focuses on common barriers to weight loss success and provides practical tips in regards to emotional eating and lack of motivation.

After an introduction, where Greene tells a personal story that involves his looking into the emotional and psychological side of weight loss, and what this book can do for the reader, it begins with a chapter on barriers to weight loss success. Greene addresses eight barriers, and none of them are eating or exercising, but rather mental or emotional aspects.

In chapter two, Kearney-Cooke addresses overcoming emotional eating. This is a big problem for many, and this chapter reveals some simple ways to find your motivation, overcome barriers, and find replacements for eating to deal with emotions. It's a practical chapter with advice on how to achieve your goals in these areas.

The third chapter is by Jibrin, and it focuses on rewiring your sugar, fat, and salt loving brain. There is some interesting information on why we eat what we do, eight reasons why we should get control of our eating, and her nine step program for sticking to a nutritious, calorie appropriate diet.

Greene is back with chapter four, where he covers conquering exercise aversion. If you have trouble getting up and getting going, this chapter may just help you find some motivation to move. He lists thirteen reasons to exercise, and you really only need to pick one to motivate yourself to do it. He addresses many common excuses and to overcome them, as well as different types of exercises you should be including into your workouts.

Chapter five is on transforming your body image, and in it Kearney-Cooke addresses a topic that many people need help with, especially with the images we are bombarded with on television and the print media.

Greene is back again with chapter six, which covers maintaining weight loss. He looks at what works and what doesn't, and provides some good suggestions and tips in making sure when you lose weight, you keep it off.

Being happy is important, and Kearney-Cooke looks at what it takes to be happy in chapter seven. I liked this chapter and think a lot of people could benefit from following the simple guidelines set forth in these pages.

Following chapter seven, there is Appendix 1 which contains The Lifestyle Log. This is an encouragement with a sample worksheet, to record important things about your lifestyle such as your sleep, hunger, food and drink consumption, etc. Appendix 2 covers Body Mass Index, while Appendix 3 has the Goldberg Depression Scale. Appendix 4 has instructions on goal setting worksheets with a sample, and Appendix 5 has The Motivational Interview to help you assess yourself. Appendix 6 is The Best Life Approach to Exercise by Greene. Simple plan with suggested exercises. Short descriptions of the exercises, but no pictures.

Overall, this is a good book for many people who are having difficulties losing weight, or keeping it off, due to emotional hangups or the lack of motivation. The authors offer simple and practical guidance to overcome such barriers, get motivated, lose weight, and be happy. If you need assistance in these areas, check out this book, but more importantly, apply what the authors teach.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of Hard-Won Wisdom From the School of Hard Knocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional insight to understand eating issues, July 10, 2011
As a person who has struggled with eating disorders in the past, I highly recommend "The Life You Want". Dr. Ann Cooke deeply understands and explains the reasons for eating issues. For me that was the key to changing my behaviors associated with my eating problems. It all starts with the way we feel about ourselves. Each individual must emotionally and mentally understand the core of why we do what we do. For me that is the most important step in resolving why we eat too much or too little. The life style changes of what we eat and how we exercise will fall into place much easier if we learn to value ourselves and our needs. This book can and will change your life for the better!

5.0 out of 5 stars bravo!!, May 22, 2011
The Life You Want is Filled with many great tips and exercises to help anyone who is interested lead a better life. I'm a Psychologist who deals with clients who overeat. I see many many people who know they are emotional eaters, and may even know that their emotional eating covers a specific trauma or need, but knowing the reason one overeats and being motivated to change are two separate issues. I found one of the exercises in the book to be really helpful with a very stuck client. I xeroxed and gave her the self test in chapter 2 by Ann Kearney's, Overcoming Emotional Eating on page 42. This test challenged her to assess how motivated she really was to lose weight: :"Are You Motivated- Gauge How Much. After she filled out the self help test, I gave her Ann's interpretations. She was able to digest Ann's comments and reflect upon them in a way that led her to curtail her eating! So I want to wholeheartedly recommend the book-- its a gem and pay particular attention to that chapter: Overcoming Emotional Eating. It's not everyday someone has a real breakthrough!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Keep My Interest, May 1, 2011
The very first part of this book (on my Kindle) was interesting and informative but after 1/3 into it it started to me to be repetitive, corny (all the written exercises) and feeling like I was being lectured. I think the information provided could have been cut down to half and still have communicated the point of losing weight, taking care and appreciating yourself. So many of the messages were repeated several times (SEVERAL)that I got to the point of hearing'blah, blah, blah'. Maybe some people need to hear something over and over to get it. I guess I only need to hear it once or twice and I am done. Waste of money to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help with Emotional Eating, October 12, 2011
I found this book really helpful with working thru my emotional eating .. he provides so many exercises. It also builds upon his THE BEST LIFE DIET ... and breaks down adapting the exercise program.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Life You Want is an excellent read., June 19, 2011
D. Schwab (Lynchburg, VA) - See all my reviews
I cannot say enough about Mr. Bob Greene. He is a fantastic writer and therapist. He really hit home with me on a lot of points and why I over eat. I have been on Weight Watchers for 4 years, I am a lifetime member, and Mr.Greene stress the importance of Tracking/writing what you eat down. He even suggests you keep track of how much sleep you get which can contribute to weight gain. (if you don't get enough each night). Buy this book. I love the references he gives and the websites you can go too for assistance with your struggles. I am still reading the book and I will probably re-read it because it contains a lot of information. Good luck to all who struggle with life's challenges and weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars How To have it all, February 8, 2011
Dr Adam Weiss (Buffalo Grove,IL.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Bod Greene is no stranger when it comes to motivating readers to change their lifestyles and The Life You Want- he does it again. This time around the author focus is on the reader's mindset and what is holding them back from achieving their goals and how to turn them around to succeed.
Chapters include Barriers to weight loss success
Over coming emotional eating
Rewiring your brain on your food cravings- interesting chapter.
Conquering exercise aversion- a major factor in many people in starting any kind of health lifestyle.

The book includes a log, goal-setting worksheets all geared towards helping the reader succeed!Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, June 23, 2014
I am reading this book and started using their suggestions for better health for life. I am going to re=read it with a highlighter. Excellent book!!!

The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy
The Life You Want: Get Motivated, Lose Weight, and Be Happy by Bob Greene (Paperback - December 27, 2011)
$16.00 $6.40