Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Light Beyond
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on June 8, 2000
Another excellent book by Dr. Moody on NDEs. This book was a fascinating read, as Dr. Moody really explored and explained the entire phenomena of Near Death Experiences - from children, to combat veterans, as well as why it is NOT a mental illness. He also introduced NDE researchers from across the country, what kind of research they are doing as well as providing very detailed NDE experiences of these researchers. The book also contained an incredible variety of NDE examples from people who have "died" and have come back.
Once again, the timely messages of love come through from those who have experienced an NDE and Dr. Moody makes a great case for life after death. This is the fifth book on NDEs that I have read and I have completely changed my attitude towards death and the life after. The fear is no longer there.
What I continue to find most fascinating is the way in which people change for the better after having an NDE. Their "new" outlook and attitude on life is amazing and transforming.
This book will comfort those who have lost a loved one and it will also explain many aspects of the NDE. I found this book to be an enjoyable read and I did not want to put the book down. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
0Comment| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 9, 2003
This work seems to be more complete and better thought out than Life after Life (which I rated high). Dr Moody has a way of presenting the information of NDE in way that allows the reader to come to his or her own conclusions. He does offer his own response to the phenomena and explains that he has been moved by the direct contact with NDE people. Dr Ring also stated a similar emotional transit by association (how could one not?). As suggested, the idea of spirituality being important as opposed to religion, to me appeals to the average intellect. To live ones life with the virtues of good and love being foremost because it is the right thing to do for yourself and the world around you, seems like a grand idea. I believe this book helps us in that direction. The opinion that there was not a wealth of new data or ideas does not seem important. What seemed significant was the maturing of the concepts and the slight contrast to the first books personality. You could feel a certain security from the author that he was now presenting us all with a great truth, rather than a new cult curiosity. In all-- well worth reading.
on December 31, 2003
One day in 1995 I died, and had a NDE. Ever since then, I've been reading everything I can on the subject. According to most stories I've read, I had an unusual one, not going down a tunnel, but experiencing many interesting phenomena all the same. It seems to me that there are some NDE books and magazine articles that are just hype, and published just to give recognition. I have found, through my many years and multitudes of books on the subject, that there is an underlining truth and spirit that pervades the true experiences. So, I have compiled a list of my best reads for NDE books - ones that I consider genuine and adding validating light to the personal NDE experience. I have left out compilations, these are personal narratives. I hope you enjoy them too.
Embraced by the Light ------by Betty J. Eadie
Psychic Gifts ---------by Tiffany Snow
Saved by the Light --------by Dannion Brinkley
4 Days in Eternity ---------by Wayne F.A. Marentette
After the Light -------------by Kimberly Clark Sharp
99 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2011
I read Dr. Raymond Moody's "Life After Life" as a student at Eckerd College in 1994. In fact back then I was writing my graduation paper about Near Death Experiences - because at the same time I was losing my husband to cancer and wanted to know where he may be going. My college agreed to let that unusual subject be my graduating thesis. My husband passed in late 1994, I graduated in early 1995 and I was walking on clouds when I did. My mood was elevated in part, thanks to Moody's book "Life After Life" written in conjunction with Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. Thanks to his book, I was very confident my husband was fine and this allowed me to not live in guilt and attend to life on earth. I return to Moody's writings whenever I feel down, (which is not often) because they are so inspiring and uplifting. Works to elate me and get me back on track every time.

So, Dr. Raymond Moody's "Life After Life" is a really important book, took a lot of weight off my shoulders as a young widow with three young kids - and "Life After Life" should be digested before this one, "The Light Beyond" if you are really wanting to know about NDEs. "The Light Beyond," I just read, has new experiences and a lot more quality data to throw at the critics of NDE who most likely multiplied exponentially after Moody's first few challenging books on what happens after we expire here on earth. I totally enjoyed "The Light Beyond" and plan to read it a few times.

Dr. Raymond Moody was the expert in 1994 and he still is. Dr. Moody has always had the best data by far, many - people who were dead a very long time (which is paramount to avoid the hallucination pushers) and more importantly access in his profession to those who would be most likely to have a near death experience. Dr. Moody's writing is very relaxed, and you would never know he was a Doctor. He never uses his power as an author to force a reader to think a certain way. In some respects you can say he is "just the messenger." He is a great messenger.

I feel Dr. Raymond Moody offers more near death experience stories within his works than any other author by far. I recently also read "The Big Book of Near Death Experiences" which was a huge let down after reading anything written by Moody. There is just no comparison. Dr. Raymond Moody is the best in relaying near death experiences and had a lot more of them to offer than any book I have read so far.
on July 31, 2000
This book is more speculative than Moody's previous books, but I enjoyed it much more than them perhaps because of that reason. There is little that is new in this book, although he does discusee some additional topics. For example, he defends NDE research as valid against certain critics. he refutes quite easilt Carl Sagan's absurd attempt to related NDE's as engrams from the birth experience and demonstrates that there are no known psychoactive drugs that produce similar symptoms to NDE's in subjects (he places particular emphasis on ketamine for some reason). It makes a good companion to the other books, and I found ot to be more interesting, but it is hard to know what else one has to say after the first two books. Many people seem to have NDE's, and they are hard, if not impossible to explain away using traditional understandings of the world, but what else is there to be said? Interesting book, but I am not sure how much farther near death studies can be taken . . .
on May 28, 2012
The Light Beyond is a continuation of Moody's groundbreaking work with near death experiences, or NDEs. Unfortunately, while this book does contribute some more good content that is in line with his first definitive guide to NDEs, Life After Life, at some point it starts veering into the pseudoscientific realm and Moody surprisingly seems to abandon his original intent of keeping his own opinions out of his work and publishing content that is strictly observational and scientific. Specifically, Moody speaks of a technique known as "mirror gazing," in which a person stares into a mirror and can supposedly see deceased relatives. This is, incidentally, something that really CAN happen when you stare into a mirror for an extended period of time, especially in low light, but it's not a spirit that you're seeing. It is due to something called the Troxler Effect, in which staring in one place causes your brain to alter what you see in the surrounding visual field, often resulting in "seeing" the faces of dead people or demonic images (this is, in fact, the basis to the "Bloody Mary" childhood myth we all know).

Unfortunately, Moody actually seems convinced that mirror gazing is a portal to the afterlife, which sadly delegitimizes a good portion of his work and takes away from what had otherwise been an excellent and important career of bringing NDEs to the scientific mainstream for the first time.

I would probably give this book one star if it didn't include some new (legitimate) insights into the NDE. Very disappointing.
on February 4, 2004
I like this book - a great selection of information and experiences. This guy has been in the front lines for a long time. Other books worth the read - Tiffany Snow, and Betty Eadie. And Nathan Judd's new book, if you can find it. I'm a doctor. NDEs are real!
on August 9, 2013
Dr. Moody covers a variety of interrelated topics with respect to those having experienced a Near-Death Experience (NDE). However, the focus seems to be directed toward the NDEers themselves, who may still question their experience or perhaps have never spoken of it. As such, LIGHT BEYOND read as a gentle collection of well-documented assurances that the NDEer has in fact not lost his or her mind.

Indeed, Dr. Moody does dedicate an entire chapter to mental illness, obviously concluding for all that the NDE experience is not the actions of a defective or diseased brain. Quite the contrary: a main denominator throughout the pages reveals that NDEers transformed their individual lives immediately thereafter with surprisingly positive mindsets and lifestyles.

Overall, this is one of those straight forward books that should be in every hospital gift shop. For the rest of us still without the privilege (and possibly no desire for major trauma anytime soon), LIGHT BEYOND will offer a peak behind the veil of what can be expected shortly after the end credits close our final acts. Unfortunately, other works will have to be sought out to get the "bigger picture."
on October 19, 1999
I found this book to be spiritually helpful after the loss of a close family member. Most people can probably benefit from this book regardless of their religious faith.
on July 11, 2002
I tried to give her a copy of this book, but she wasn't very interested, until I mentioned the "SWOOSH."
That got her attention.
She eagerly devoured this book, Life After Life, and any other NDE book she could find after that.
Raymond Moody's books have done much to comfort those who have gone through an NDE and haven't been able to talk about it.
--George Stancliffe