5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story for anyone on a Quest for Truth, January 24, 2000
Marlan Knittel (Bakersfield, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
Because of it's honest story and inoffensive title, it is perhaps one of the best books I've seen that I could share with someone exploring the New Age. In it Warren and eventually his wife experience many New-Age related beliefs and practices such as psychic readings, auras, following gurus, wholistic health centers, and studying a Course in Miracles. After a dark presence enters their lives that even the 'Course' cannot shake, Warren happens upon a book called the Beautiful Side of Evil by Johanna Michaelsen in a metaphysical bookstore. He discounts the book as written by a misguided Christian, but something catches his eye that he determines to try. For fundamentalist Christians this book may be a little tedious, but for anyone who has experienced the New Age, this book is fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking with Jesus alone protects us from deception., August 8, 1999
Christy Lowry (Anchorage, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
I too was profoundly affected by this down-to-earth everyday couple's first-hand experience with the deceptive side of the supernatural, which imperatively proves the importance of placing one's faith in Jesus as divinely documented and proven by the Bible. Faith in a generic "something" is no substitute for a living relationship with the Son of God; we engage in it at our peril.

5.0 out of 5 stars This invaluable book depicted how deceiving the New Age is., December 30, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
I read this book a number of years ago and it really had a profound effect on my life. I too was searching to know God and took a few left hand turns in the wrong direction. As with Warren, I learned the difference between what is true and false doctrine. I just wanted to purchase it again for someone who just wrote a book. She had been an atheist and now in her words, "answers the call St. Peter put on her life of writing down all the insights she has received from Father ___ and his 3 angels who she channels from everyday." Of course we know it is only Jesus who calls us into anything and we are to be led by the Holy Spirit only. This woman is sooooooo deceived. Unfortunately, there are many like her who feel they have found the true light of God when in fact they have missed the Light of Jesus and are dealing with satan who comes as an angel of light. Please begin publishing this book again for it is so timely. The season of the false prophets is upon us to stop those whom God wants to bless from entering the Promised Land. Warren, keep up the good work and write another book on this same subject. Thank you and God bless you, Linda Hostelley author of, "Touched by His Staff"

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Biography, May 10, 2005
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
I am amazingly (and perhaps blessedly) naive when it comes to certain aspects of the spiritual battle that wages all around us. We know from Scripture that there is a constant spiritual battle being fought in this world, with human beings the bounty. We know that there is more to the world than what we can see - that angels and demons are real and are present. We do not clearly understand how they operate or even where they are, yet they exist. The Light That Was Dark brings home the importance of being aware of this spiritual conflict and guarding ourselves against ignoring it.

Warren Smith is a social worker and author who was formerly involved in the New Age movement. This book chronicles his journey from the New Age to his conversion to Christianity. Smith's journey to the occult began with a psychic reading which convinced him that he was spiritually underdeveloped. He agreed with this assessment and resolved to remedy this. He began to search for something to fill this void. He tells of sitting on his rooftop one evening and calling out to heavens "All you on the other side, I want your help in my life. I want to become more spiritual, I want to grow" (page 22). The spirits seemed to answer him. Through a series of "coincidences" he became a dedicated follower of Indian master Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, a guide who led him deeply into eastern religion and meditation. Rajneesh seemed to have a supernatural hold on Smith and on his other followers.

Despite that hold, Smith eventually grew tired of Rajneesh and began to investigate other leaders. Soon he was studying A Course in Miracles and dabbling in other occult and New Age practices, even resolving to become a channel for "The Source." But the further he progressed in his spiritual development, the more he began to experience shocking spiritual oppression. The stories of being attacked in the night by spirits, spirits he could not see, but could feel - spirits that would suck the very energy out of him or his wife - are chilling and haunting. The spiritual realm quickly became real to the author.

But one day, in the Metaphysical section of a bookstore of all places, he found a copy of The Beautiful Side of Evil by Johanna Michaelsen, an author, speaker and former New Ager who had become a Christian. This author's biography was very similar to that of Smith's wife, and so he spent several hours studying the book. Within those pages he learned what the Bible says about rebuking demons and the forces of darkness. The next time he was oppressed, he cried out to Jesus and immediately the evil departed. This proved true time and again. Smith began to see that the beauty of the New Age was false and that there were dark, demonic forces involved. He came to understand the truth of Scripture and he and his wife were saved by the power of Jesus Christ. They came to faith not through church leadership or programs of evangelism, but by diligent study of the Scriptures.

The book concludes with two pages that outline the author's concern with the inroads the New Age is making into Christianity. This has been further detailed in his book Deceived on Purpose which I have reviewed here and highly recommend.

The Light That Was Dark is an important book and one I hope will be read by many Christians. Smith shows beyond any doubt that the New Age, or New Spirituality, is inexorably linked with the occult. Yet this occultic movement is making surprising inroads into Christianity. The lines between Christianity and the New Spirituality are becoming increasingly blurred. Authors like Smith provide a clarion call the church would be foolish to ignore.

cwriter@ce.net (Millsboro, DE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and well-written fact-based story with the best ending ever!, May 1, 2014
Avocadess (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
I found it almost painful to read the first half of this book, where he was talking about all his new age spiritualism and synchronicities that made him to feel that he was definitely on the right track. Although the specific gurus and paths I followed in my own life were different than his and his wife's they were a mirror image of what he experienced -- even to the part about being able to get rid of evil spirits (demons) only with the help of Jesus' Name -- and to the part of realizing the importance of repenting and accepting Jesus as Lord, which is such a blessing and divine umbrella of spiritual protection.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, and I hope to see many, many more of its ilk coming down the pikes -- because it is SO NEEDED in today's world where "creating your own reality," being "gods and goddesses" and "looking within for all the answers" have become the major buzzwords among the ultra-hip and "cool." I am very thankful to have found this book. If you know of any others like this that you think are good, please let me know their titles and authors in the comment section below. I would love to check them out!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Light that was Dark, March 13, 2013
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
I have received the book, and appreciate Ajax books. They have been very fair with me. I give a positive review. I have not read the book yet, but look forward to reading it. Thanks Bob.

5.0 out of 5 stars out of the dark, December 9, 2007
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
This is one of the best books I have ever read. A few years ago, I was in a used bookstore in the New Age section and this book was misfiled in that section. I was raised a Christian, but drifted away in my later years. This is the book that opened my eyes to what the New Age really teaches and brought me back to the Bible and Jesus. Thank you Warren Smith for writting this book!....This is the story of Warren who got involved in New Age teachings and found out that there is a dark side to it and then he found his way out. This is an exciting book for Christians and non-Christians alike. I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Link, September 18, 2004
This review is from: The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey (Paperback)
Warren Smith's book, The Light That was Dark, clearly shows the link between mystical occultism and many false teachings that are infiltrating the Christian church today. Read this book, and you will better understand how current popular teachings are leading people away from the Jesus Christ of the Bible rather than to Him.

The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey
The Light That Was Dark: A Spiritual Journey by M.S.W. Warren Smith (Paperback - Aug. 1992)
Used & New from: $3.26