4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful and very useful with one caveat...
Published on November 16, 2010 by Stan Dubin

1.0 out of 5 stars 538 pages of incoherent rant
Published on March 17, 2010 by Jeffrey Myers

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful and very useful with one caveat..., November 16, 2010
This review is from: The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE (Hardcover)
I've been listening to Tom's "The Little Big Things" and reading along on the Kindle version. Tom likes to zero in on simple ideas that can have a powerful impact on the success of a business (small, medium or large). This is a really healthy approach to helping businesses succeed. Folks like to read, absorb and apply...not spend all kinds of time trying to understand graphs, analyses, and information presented all-too-often intended to impress than to assist. So Tom scores very big points throughout in getting us immediately useable information.

There is one item I strongly disagree with in the book. Tom says:

"I argue here and elsewhere that the *only* effective source of innovation is pissed-off people! Hence, bite your tongue and cherish such misfits!" (the word *only* was in italics presumably for emphasis)

I'm sure some points of innovation come from pissed-off people, and I imagine Tom has considerably more examples of this than I do. But I'm also sure superb innovation has come from those not pissed-off at all. This I've seen with my own eyeballs on quite a few occasions. And sometimes these pissed-off misfits are just that: pissed-off misfits with no innovation whatsoever in their space. Quite the contrary, some are involved with undoing innovation, creativity and productivity. So I'm not on the look-out for pissed-off misfits nor should you be. Be on the look-out for innovation in whatever form it presents itself. Then check it out, test it out and use it liberally when you see it gets the desired results.

1.0 out of 5 stars 538 pages of incoherent rant, March 17, 2010
I've never seen so many font sizes, exclamation points and redundancy in one book. There is nothing new here, and what IS here is so mercilessly pounded on that you would have to be severely ADHD to get anything out of it. A typical paragraph: "Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate. Communicate." (I wish I was exaggerating).

I made it to page 85 before swearing I would never read another Tom Peters book as long as I live. The thought of trying to make it through the remaining 453 pages made me want to pull my eyeballs out. The Little Big Things becomes the fourth book I've ever ordered from Amazon that I am returning, and the second this week. Must be a bad week for business books.

You're better off buying a used copy of The Search for Excellence, even though many of the companies featured in that book have been out of business so long that under-40 readers won't have ever heard of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Last A Lifetime., March 13, 2010
I have been in Tom Peters' camp for 20+ years, buying all of his books, visiting his website religiously, buying the books he recommend, downloading his youtube files, watching his DVD, and learning form him more than from anyone else. He is The Guru of Gurus. I have always looked forward to his books, I bought them all, I read them all. I bought more than 20 copies of Re-Imagine to give to friends.

This book is in the same vein as his previous books, which is always crunchy, fun to read, fresh, and enlighting. Most are his regular materials, packed into one book. The chapters are made for easier search: Crisis, Opportunity, Resilience, Connection, Attitude, Performance, Work, Initiative, Leadership, Networking, Talent, Innovation, Learning, Design, WOW, and so on........ A Huge 500+ pages of stuffs that will en-light and shine on your days. This is some sort of "reference book" that you can pick and read for 10 minutes or an hour or a whole weekend every now and then.

"Business Motivation" is what this is all about, It's the little BIG things THAT MATTER. One Chapter or even one "cut" is worth reading and thinking and considering (There are 163 ways to pursue Excellence, as the subtitle said). If you have ever downloaded Tom Peters' Powerpoint Master Files, you know this is it, the complete set, sorta His Legacy. This is not a "One Big Idea" that change the world, but a bunch of small things that will make us all better business persons.

For the new readers who have never known Tom, this is a huge book with 163 ideas, jammed into one, that will last forever. Most will love it, some will hate it. Tom always thinks that being loved and being hated is much better than being ignored! (He matters.) Give it a try, you might get hooked.

I graduated from University of Chicago MBA, have started and succeeded in more than ten new start-ups, and am doing lots of public seminars nowadays. I know that I owe a lot to Tom of the way I am now. He is the mentor I have not met yet. Thank You Tom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and very practical ways to stand out, July 23, 2010
As I started reading this book, I was disappointed. I didn't like the short, choppy parts. Nor did I like the multiple fonts. The book didn't seem to flow.

Then I thought back on Tom Peters' introduction. He says that this book is written in a blogging style and isn't meant to be read like a regular book. He also says that he doesn't expect all his items to resonate with the reader. He wishes us to pick up a few.

Halfway through the book, I `got it' and started enjoying the lists.

The mark of a true visionary author is if he:

**makes the reader stop and think
**gives practical and very doable advice.

Tom Peters succeeded with both of these.

Some of the "little big things" that I particularly enjoyed:

#36 - Call, don't email, 25-20 people in the next 5 days to thank them for all their help. Make a point to do this a few times a year.
#68 - Just say yes!
#115 - Ask and then ask again.

While there is nothing new or earth shattering in this book, it's a good read to help stimulate actionable ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is a total homerun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, March 27, 2010
I admit it... I am an unrepentant Tom Peters fanatic and have been for 20+ years. But even with that said, there have been a few (very few) of Tom's books that I felt were...uh... "Less-than-excellent."(small "e") So it was with a bit of trepidation that I sat down to read his newest book: "The Little BIG Things - 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE." At 507 pages of main text, it is a significant commitment for many readers to undertake the study of this book weighty tome... and I promise you it is worth every single page of it! I read it cover-to-cover (twice) in the span of two days of flying to meet with clients. I simply could NOT put it down, as I was greedy to get to the next page of TP wisdom and wisecracking. If you are a Tom Peters devote' you will recognize much (nearly all) of what this book contains... and that is just fine. It is filled with a relentless parade of "TP's Greatest Hits" that keep slapping you in the face and pushing you to think, adjust, change and take action. If you are a business leader of ANY kind - you MUST read this book. I absolutely GUARANTEE you will find not one... not two... but 20 or 30 game-changing ideas that could truly take your business and your career to a completely new level. As someone who has read a MINIMUM of 100 - 120 business books a year, every year since 1989, (and it all started with In Search Of Excellence!) I will tell you with NO hesitation that "The Little BIG Things" is now in my top 5 all-time favorites. YES - it is that good! Mr. Peters... this one is a complete homerun!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Exuberant Body of Work!, March 22, 2010
What's a Little BIG Thing? "A compelling nugget of a life experience that is representative of a BIG and Potent Idea." - Tom Peters

I used to think Lists were Dullsville but Little BIG Things read like an action thriller! That's not an easy thing to do with 500 pages of robust tips. Three things you might find interesting:

1. I approached the book from different angles to see how the reading experience would hold up: 1. Reading page by page in a linear fashion; 2. Random page reading; 3. Pages chosen from the Table of Contents that were relevant to something I'm working on; 4. Pages chosen from the Index that seemed totally irrelevant to things I'm working on. In each case I found myself getting actionable, novel tips in less than 30 seconds that I could start running with.

2. Tom's speaking and writing voice is humorous, provocative, and deep-to-the-core insightful. The book is the same. It's a refreshing combination of aspiration and perspiration. It's not a "normal" book. It's derived from a blog which means, thankfully, the structure doesn't follow a tidy plotline. For me, as a learner, the exuberant layout gave me easy access to 163 Ways to Pursue Excellence without needing a nap after!

3. Little BIG Things is packed with credible, curated content. If you've been reading Tom's blog over the years, you'll get a great refresher on core content. The book also includes the 19 Es of Excellence and 7 Special Sections: Guru Gaffes, The Recession 46, The "Equations", You, Me, & Charlie Wilson's War, Quotations 34, Top 50 "Have-Yous", and The Heart of Business Strategy. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars You are thrown a bunch of interesting observations. It is up to you to do something about them, November 8, 2010
Jackal (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I really don't like the way he writes; Incomplete sentences and endless repetitions. Mostly resulting in a brick-sized book. Still there is no denying that he has useful and interesting things to say. His ability to turn observations in written ideas is second only to Tom Friedman (The World Is Flat 3.0: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century). The book will give some ideas for your business and some ideas for yourself. While Friedman is on the macro level, Peters is squarely on the micro level. So don't expect anything that has to do with major trends in society. This is a typical Peters book like all the rest. However, for some reason, it doesn't feel good to read an old Peters book. I don't know why, since the content really doesn't change that much. Anyway this is not a book to buy for its profoundness. It is a book to buy if you are willing to be inspired to do some smaller changes in life.

2.0 out of 5 stars not well written, July 12, 2012
This was not a very well written book. It has a very self help stereotype kind of feel. I did want to like it. The tips were not bad, but I couldn't finish it. I found myself annoyed by the grammar errors and poor word choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can put this book down, but you can't stop reading!, March 27, 2010
W. Birchard (Amherst, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
Peters suggests putting this book in the bathroom and reading it in snatches. Great idea: It's the only book you'll need for weeks to come. It's jammed with wisdom from Peters's 40 years of helping people reach excellence in work. Part school-of-hard knocks lessons, part engaging personal musings, The Little BIG Things reminds us that humanity comes first, analysis second. Humanity is the fount of organizational effectiveness.

I see in other reviews that some people don't like Peters's exuberant use of boldface and giant type. But that's a reflection of the author - and it's Peters's signature exuberance and passion throughout the book that inspire. I had to just keep reading. If you want multiple blasts of freshly expressed gems of management thought, buy a copy for every bathroom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Excellent, Feels Excellent, Is Excellent, March 14, 2010
One of the little big things that Tom Peters has learned over his storied career as the world's preeminent management guru is that People Love Lists. And Tom is a master list-maker.

This book is, in essence, a list--but this is nothing like the list you'd write for yourself before, say, going to the grocery store, or beginning a road trip, or mapping out the next phase of your career.

This list is...well, it's a freakin' work of art, is what it is: emotional, provocative, great to look at and entertaining to read. But most of all, it is business-and-life wisdom expounded bit by bit and item by item.

If you're a long-time Tom fan, you have to add this to your TP library. Goes without saying. I am, I admit, a fan. And as long as we're admitting things, I used to be VP of his company. So, I know whereof I speak when I tell you this:

If you've never read Tom Peters, or if you've never heard of Tom Peters (for shame, for shame), do not hesitate another nanosecond: BUY THIS BOOK and ramp up your own personal pursuit of excellence in everything you do.

And I do mean everything.

The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE
The Little Big Things: 163 Ways to Pursue EXCELLENCE by Tom Peters (Hardcover - March 9, 2010)
$24.99 $17.06