Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 6, 2010
This book has it flaws--I wish that the chapters were longer and a little more fleshed out; I think that the subdivision of each chapter into three parts was not always necessary; and, I wish that the authors had added more illustrative examples from their individual experiences since they each have such interesting, exciting, and successful careers. That being said, I would still recommend this book to anyone (not just African-American women) who wants to more ably manage his or her career. While I had heard some of the tips before, many of them were new and fresh, and they really helped me to reconsider ways that I could accelerate my professional progress. I also really appreciate that, rather than just spouting platitudes, the authors give specific, concrete action steps for their readers to follow in various situations--in my experince, this is rare, so the inclusion is a very notable and welcome change from what is contained in similar literature. Finally, I liked that the book was informative but still a quick and easy read--very useful when trying to balance future professional development with current professional responsiblities. All in all, a good "little black book".
on March 5, 2010
I smiled when I saw the title of the book, The Little Black Book of Success by Elaine Meryl Brown, Marsha Haygood and Rhonda Joy McLean, thinking, `Another self-help book for sisters.'However, the fact that Elaine Meryl Brown was one of the co-authors intrigued me because I had read her fiction titles. I will say that The Little Black Book of success is definitely a self-help book, but it is so much more. It is filled from cover to cover with life instructions, career information and simple common sense revelations. What I really enjoyed were the Mama-isms at the end of each chapter such as, `All is fair in love and business,' and a personal favorite, `There is no elevator to success; you must take the stairs.' While the book is filled with advice, it is also witty and interesting.

The Little Black Book of Success is targeted to black women, but every woman under the sun could benefit from reading it and heeding what it offers. I recommend it for all women, of all ages, persuasions or ethnicities.

This book was provided by publisher for review purposes only.

Angelia Menchan
APOOO BookClub
on March 15, 2010
The Little Black Book of Success is simply amazing. I have been waiting for a book on leadership that is for women of color for a long time. I have transformed from being "average" to "above average" in the workplace as I read this book and apply the principles. I wish I had this book when I graduated from college eleven years ago. Thank you so much.
on September 25, 2014
I finished this book sooner than I expected and I felt a little unsatisfied-- I completely agree with a prior reviewer who said " I wish that the authors had added more illustrative examples from their individual experiences". The authors talk about finding a mentor and the importance of sharing information, and I would have loved to have read some more personal/direct connection to it. The advice is sound, but comes across like an outside observer explaining what they see in the world-- I trust these authors have experience with being black women in various workplaces, so I really hoped for some more connection like "I understand why you might feel this way, but here's what I discovered when I was in this situation".

Maybe the issue is that with multiple authors they wanted avoid first person narratives, but overall this final product was just okay for me.
on March 19, 2010
This book, written by 3 powerful women who have "been there, done that", should be required reading for all black women(or all women) who aspire to become effective leaders. Challenging, inspiring and motivating.
on August 3, 2010
This book is exactly what is says it is: "a little black book." Much like that little book of all your "go-to" numbers, reminders, and people to call for specific reasons, this book gives you the little pointers and common sense approaches for the various situations that come up in your job and career development. Keep it in your desk, be discreet, pick it up often when you need to remind yourself that a game is being played, and that there are rules, when it comes to succeeding in business. You may feel as though you already "know" the rules, but this book keeps them fresh in your mind, reminds you to be on your toes at all times, and to maintain your readiness for when the opportunities come your way. Take it from women who definitely know, and snag a copy of this gem!
on March 20, 2012
This book is a must-have for women of color of all ages. The book is full of nuggets of wisdom learned from all the women in your life but neatly compiled into one little book. I like the way the book is organized. My favorite component is the MAMAisms at the end of each chapter. You have to read it in order to understand. I do wish that some of the chapters were longer but have learned from the authors that a workbook is in process. I can't wait! I would definitely recommend this book as a timeless resource.
When it comes to books that address the issue of success, I always try to look at the track record of those giving the address. With THE LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF SUCCESS, it is hard not to try and apply the counsel given because those giving it have practiced what they preach. The book outlines some fundamental principles that all of those in business---women or men---can look at and apply in their respective careers. I don't think that books such as this should be limited to one gender, but I can appreciate the authors wanting to give advice to those they see as being sometimes left out of the discussion.

This is one that I highly suggest for anyone looking to turn their business or brand into a force of nature.
on February 1, 2011
This book is wonderful. It provided me with those nuggets you can use. I find myself thinking about the political aspects of our work environment. What keeps coming back to me is the statement, 'Recognize there is a game'. I had an opportunity to meet one of the authors Brenda and she truly blessed me. I recommend this for anyone looking to have something they can refer back to from time to time. The chapters are short but similar to the way a mentoring relationship may be. We cannot have or monopolize the time of our mentors but connect with them when we are in crisis (briefly). This books serves that same purpose.
on August 13, 2015
This is a really great book. It is inspiring and motivational. It is really perfect for any professional. They provide great guidance fro minority professionals about how to function in the workplace and how to handle adversity and succeed and to maintain your sanity. It is a must have for minority professioanals but really for any professional.