5.0 out of 5 stars It's great to be a vampire!, October 31, 2000
This review is from: The Little Vampire (Paperback)
The Little Vampire by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg and Nicholas Waller is the novelization of the movie of the same name (currently in theaters), which is based on the children's series by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg.
In this version of the story, elements that were not explored at great length in the film are able to be fleshed out more completely, giving the story a more well rounded feel. Also, there are several events which were excluded from the film altogether, including an ending with a shocking twist!
A nice touch also was how well Sommer-Bodenburg handled the changes between the characters as she created them and the way they were molded to fit the confines of the script. The vernacular of the book is a bit different from the film (which is a good thing), but it still suits the storyline very well.
If you or your children enjoyed the movie than this is a perfect extension which is sure to become a family favorite. If you haven't seen the film but are a big fan of Sommer-Bodenburg's series (or even if you just love vampires), then I highly suggest you give both the book and the movie a try. While it is true that the movie is quite different from the original books, the story that is told is still a good one (Sommer-Bodenburg herself says that they have "remained true to the spirit of my story").

5.0 out of 5 stars Read many times over in paperback and hardcover, now in digital!, March 12, 2013
This review is from: The Little Vampire (The Little Vampire, 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was my favorite series of books as a youngster in the '80s. Shortly after reading James Howe's Bunnicula books, I was given this book by my local librarian. It was titled MY FRIEND THE VAMPIRE back then (in the USA... in the UK it was titled THE LITTLE VAMPIRE, and in Germany it was called "Der kleine Vampir"). I devoured the first five books in the series back then (in the US they were titled My Friend The Vampire, The Vampire Moves In, The Vampire Takes a Trip, The Vampire on the Farm, and The Vampire in Love). None of the other books in the series were released in the USA. Over time, I was lucky enough to get UK English-translated imports of almost all of the rest of the books in the series.

They've translated it really well, and the story flows nicely in English. The eBook version is the same translation (Sarah Gibson, translator), but I believe this eBook is the UK version of the translation ("flat" instead of "apartment" ... "pyjamas" instead of "pajamas" ... "mum" instead of "mom" etc...). I am used to these differences having read alternating UK versions and US versions of most of this series, but a new reader who isn't used to some of the spelling and word-usage might be thrown off at first. Don't worry, you'll get used to it quickly.

The story in a nutshell: In the early evening, a boy named Tony who loves horror books and movies is home alone when suddenly a young vampire named Rudolph comes in his window. They strike up an unusual friendship that involves late night flying, crypt visits, and thirsty vampire relatives. Tony also eventually meets Anna, Rudolph's younger sister who drinks milk to help her teeth grow.

I am reading this series to my seven year old right now for fun. He loves it. His little sister listens in sometimes too.

There is no gore, killing, etc. There are tense moments, and blood-sucking is mentioned in passing (but not described...usually it is part of the humor of the book). There is lying, disobeying, and sneaking out (for the morality police), but overall the books are positive and fun.

It is hard being an American fan of this German series. Most of the related media releases (film, audio, TV) are in German (Deutsch). There are about 20+ books in the series now (some haven't been translated into English yet), and I HOPE that Open Road Integrated Media has the right to publish them ALL in English in eBook format! I may finally be able to read the last few books (including "Anna von Schlottersteins Nächtebuch" AKA Anna Sakville-Bagg's Nightbook).

Books in this series:
The Little Vampire Gets a Surprise
The Little Vampire and the Wicked Plot
The Little Vampire and the School Trip
The Little Vampire and the Christmas Surprise
Der kleine Vampir und die Tanzstunde (The Little Vampire and the Dance Hour) - no English tanslation...yet!
Der kleine Vampir hat Geburtstag (TLV Has a Birthday) - no English tanslation...yet!
Der kleine Vampir und die Gruselnacht (TLV and the Night of the Shivers) - no English tanslation...yet!
Der kleine Vampir und die letzte Verwandlung (TLV and the Last Conversion) - no English tanslation...yet!
Anna von Schlottersteins Nächtebuch (Anna Sakville-Bagg's Nightbook) - no English tanslation...yet!
They even made The Little Vampire Activity Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old childhood memories!, January 22, 2010
As I have come to an age in which I can freely purchase any books my heart desires, I find myself wanting to posses all the books that I loved as a child and teenager but weren't mine. On that inner search I kept going back to the Little Vampire series, which I continuously checked out from the library of my junior high school translated to Spanish. I was just fascinated by it, and a little bit obsessed. I must have read the five books available about ten times each. Now I'm craving to have them back between my arms, and read them a thousand times, but I find that they are very rare, and quite expensive, even after they have inspired a major family film. I think they should probably make a reprint of the series at a more reasonable price, so that today's children and teenagers can experience what I did seating on the floor of my school's library, reading these books from cover to end. and then reading them again and again. Just ordered the first book in both English and Spanish, and really hoping that, if I wait just a bit longer, the second book will be cheaper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vamp finatic?, October 23, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Little Vampire (Paperback)
If so then you will love this movie I did and personaly I think there should be a sequal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally The Little Vampire is back!!!!!, October 9, 2012
I'm so happy that is finally published again. I enjoyed countless hours of reading many many years ago when I was a child, the adventures of the little vampire and his sister with their best friend tony the human boy that could fly with them with the help of a cape :) kids will enjoy this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Original Books of the Little Vampire are better, December 12, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Little Vampire (Paperback)
I from Germany and i got my first Little Vimpire Book from my Goodmother. I can just say it was one of the books of my life. And i have all the books from the story of the littel vampire. So I also bought that one wich i have to say it is allright but by fare not so good then the original once. Its still worth to buy and read it even when u r over 20 years or older u will love the stories of the littel Vampire

5.0 out of 5 stars My friend loved it, June 6, 2014
I sent this book as a gift for a friend that loves to read, she loved it, it reminded her to her childhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories!, April 10, 2014
What a wonderful book and series of books - Angela Sommer-Bodenburg has written a fun, imaginative, and thoughtful series of books with this being the first one. Unfortunately out of the 20 volumes, only the first 5 were officially published in the USA. If any English-Speaking readers are curious to read the rest, you can purchase volumes 6-16 from the UK as there are 16 volumes that were published in the UK. The last 4 volumes haven't been translated to English yet. United States readers be forewarned - these Kindle Editions use the UK translation and even though the same person (Sarah Gibson) translated both U.S. and U.K. editions there are language differences, although nothing beyond figuring out (and fun to compare!!). I did notice that 2 chapters that were in the original U.S. print editions are in fact missing from this Kindle version - maybe they were always missing from the U.K. print editions? I've forgotten the chapter titles however the first one is a Snow-Vampire Story that Anna talks with Tony about, and the second missing chapter concerns a dream that Tony has; luckily this is still a wonderfully enjoyable and fun book! Let's not forget the great Amelie Glienke's illustrations - they are fun to look at and add to the overall mood and story. I Highly Recommend it and I've only subtracted 1 star due to the missing U.S. translation and the missing chapters. I still highly recommend this to both adult fans and new fans, young AND old! Thanks Angela!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just can't stop reading.... I love it!, March 1, 2014
Just can't stop reading... every single word and detailed description just makes me feel like I'm actually IN the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids new to chapter books, November 16, 2012
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Little Vampire by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg follows Tony who doesn't have a lot of friends. One day Tony gets a mysterious visitor in his room. A vampire that's his age! Tony then gets to go on adventures with his new vampire friend.

This is an adorable childrens book that short and fun to read. It's got all the excitement for a kid that want something scary without actually being scary. It's a nice quick read that kids (and their parents) will enjoy.

Appropriateness: This book is a beginning chapter book, appropriate for kids reading around the third grade level. It is interesting enough to be used as a read aloud and is perfect for the kid who likes monsters but does not want to be really scared.

Review Copy Provided by netgalley

The Little Vampire (The Little Vampire, 1)
$1.99