on May 20, 2010
The Littlest Donkey, written by Gail G. Faust, is a cute story about a smaller-than-normal donkey who grows up to be a very special donkey.

Donny (the donkey) is the only offspring of an older donkey whose name is. Sarah is visited one night by an angel who tells her she will give birth to a little donkey, who will be "smaller than the rest, but he will be remembered among men for all eternity."

Because of his size, all the other animals around him make fun of him and won't let him play with them. When he feels sad and sorry for himself his mother tells him, "Don't worry, you are a special little donkey and one day you will be remembered by all men for all eternity."

Sure enough, one day, when the farmer takes Donny to town to buy some things at the market, two men start taking Donny away. When the farmer asks, "What are you doing?" The men reply, "The Lord needs him!" You probably guessed why: Donny is the donkey Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday. From that day on, all the other animals on the farm treat Donny with admiration and respect.

The bright illustrations by Tanja Bungardt are a bit cartoonish, but they work well with the story line.

What I Like: The story is cute and gives a different angle to an old one.

What I Dislike: However, the story strikes me as a cross between the Biblical story of Sarah being visited by an angel before she gives birth to Isaac and of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, the reindeer that everyone picked on before he was chosen by Santa to pull the sleigh. The combination works, but all readers might not appreciate the twist.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: No specific age group is given, but I would say 4-8 would be appropriate.

Christine M. Irvin - Christian Children's Book Review
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I enjoyed reading the children's book, "The Littlest Donkey", when at first it reminded me of the Engine who could, where the little engine said, "I Think I can I think I can". This is the part when the mother donkey told her little donkey that he could and will be somebody that will be remembered by all men. At first, Sarah (mother donkey) did not believe she could have a child in her old age. We believe we cannot do things, it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible. This story delivered so many messages and morals for our young people to grasp and understand. One, we need to believe we can, and with God--it is possible. We should not look at size since we are created for purpose and have greatness in each one of us. Little Donkey looked at his size and was seeking approval from others but instead was laughed at. But God sees the best in us. Little Donkey prayed not to be sold. We later see that prayers avails much since he was not sold, only borrowed for a short time in which he was remembered by all men for eternity because the man of God rode on his back. What a glorious moment! He was also never ridiculed again, even was honored and those who laughed bowed to him. He was chosen for a purpose. This is the ultimate lesson--we are all created for purpose.

While working in the library, I was thinking of writing a children's book to minister to our youth, whom we are losing today to media, TV, radio, and fashion. I was honored to see the artistic illustration by Tanja Bungardt and see the message of God's Word delivered in a children's book that was written by Gail G. Faust--which was my prayer after looking at the pictorial books that our children are reading. They have the lesson but not from a godly perspective. I wanted to write a book to demonstrate God's love and purpose of which this book delivered both! This is a book all parents should have in their library for their children to read, or to read to their children. I am blessed to add this book to my reading collection.

Recommended for ages 8-10 for reading purposes, younger children can be exposed to the book if read by their parents or guardians.

Dream 4 More Reviews,
Adrienna Turner

*The opinions of the reviewer does not reflect the views of Dream 4 More Firm. We received a copy from the publisher to provide a review at no charge.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again