Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$2.99

on February 3, 2012
This book was incredible - it shows that a person can get through anything. I know Jeff from high school and I didn't know he was going through all of that - amazing that he made it - and not just made it but became a very successful person, father and business man. He is very brave and courageous to put all in a book for others to learn from his issue. I know it had to be painful for him. Thank you,Jeff.
on February 1, 2012
This book had the all the makings of an epic adventure while being a great tale of recovery and survival. It may address a 'heavy' topic but the reader is still brought through the survival tale with a great deal of humor and hope along the way. I think it is both a 'page-turning' novel to read and a helpful book for anyone with their own survival tale to relate to in the 'overcoming'.
on February 29, 2012
Jeff Noonan does an excellent job in writing about a difficult subject. His narrative is easy reading, but does leave the reader thinking about the life he lived. This book should be required reading for all of those people who use their upbringing and/or background as an excuse for not achieving their goals. Jeff is proof of the old adage: "Where there's a will there's a way."
on July 10, 2012
Although I'm not traditionally an avid reader, Jeff Noonan has written a book that made me one. His style is easy to read and hard to stop. In my case it was a trip down memory lane - both good and bad. Like the author, I, too, escaped from the battleground of an alcoholic home life at seventeen. A few years later I found myself serving alongside Jeff and his brother, Tim, on one of the Navy's newly built missile cruisers.

Jeff's vivid recollection of so many details of life in the Navy brought back a lot that I had forgotten; it was as if he kept a log! But Jeff did much more than merely escape into the Navy - most anybody can sign the papers and do that. Once there he listened when good advice came his way, worked hard starting at the bottom and made decisions that opened options for him. At that age we all wanted instant gratification; but Jeff kept his eyes on the future and made a very good future for himself and, when he could, others in his family too.

The book moves quickly, is genuine in its details, gritty when it needs to be and tender when it should be.
on September 14, 2012
I read this book nonstop! I cannot imagine the pain Jeff's family went through. I was happy to see what a sucess he made of himself.
I did not like the ending. It just stopped!! I was expecting it to go through to the end of his navy career and was disappointed that it just stopped the way it did.
on February 15, 2012
The author takes us through his life from humble beginnings in a troubled rural family to his ultimate success in the military and business world. This journey will be familiar to many of us who grew up with a alcoholic, belligerent father at a time where the only solution was escape. Some were not successful in that escape. But Jeff shows us what guts, drive, and determination, and a focus on a goal, can do. Not a fast reader, I had trouble putting the book down and finished in less than two days.
on September 18, 2012
I also thoroughly appreciated this book for all the reasons others have given. I'd like to add two more. Though the time period was different, my father served in the Navy. Like most, he didn't speak about his experiences. The book helped me understand a bit of what entering the military and military life is like. Secondly, beyond fueling tremendous admiration for Mr. Noonan and his determination to use his abilities despite great odds, it put perspective on my own alcoholic relatives who were 'quiet' drunks pouring all their hurt and rage inward rather than upon us, their wives or children. My husband began to go a little crazy with my regular reports about the book and how good it is -- it is well worth reading.
on February 2, 2013
Jeff Noonan's story is a biographical account of a boy's struggle to deal with an alcoholic father and a large dysfunctional family and his striving to better his life and help his family. Some people seem to be inherently good and that is my impression of Jeff. As a young boy he worked to keep his mom and siblings safe from an abusive husband and father and provided money so that the family could eat. Although he never graduated from high school he joined the Navy and endeavored to advance and learn while continuing to aid his mother financially. The book deals with his life from about 12 years old to his twenties but I liked that it also adds an epilogue that fills the reader in to what he does after the Navy and what happened to the other members of his family.
on February 11, 2013
I chose this book based on the military emphasis and the title. At the time I assumed it would be about WWII and a Pow camp experience. Once I started and realized the real plot I started to give up; however, I was intrigued almost from the beginning how a person from such an environment could escape. The plot was honest, clear and at times heart wrenching. I was never disappointed until I learned the fate of his first marriage- at that point I was fully invested. It was a great read that is the true essence of the human spirit.
on October 4, 2012
This account of a young boy with an alcoholic abusive father was quite a surprise. The saga of being the eldest sibling and the first to escape from the abusive household was a great journey. The authors descriptions of his time spent in the service during the early 60's until his retirement from the Navy was very entertaing and informative. A very good read.