5,516 Reviews
 (4,109)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story
Published 15 months ago by Izzy

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and cloying
While the storyline was sweet, dialogue was stiff and stereotypes well played out. Certainly not one of Sparks finest works.
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story, September 19, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
I love Nicholas Sparks. I have read all his books and I am always excited when a new one is going to be released. Even though, you sort of know what going to happen in a Nicholas Sparks book, I still love them. The Longest Ride was no exception. It intertwines a story about two couples, one old, and one young and does a really good job of connecting them together at the end. I don't want to give too many details but anyone who loves Nicholas Sparks or just wants to read a cute love story should read this, you won't be disappointed. Not to be corny, but, I think what I love most about Nicholas Sparks books is that the guy in the story always really, truly, and without reservation loves the girl and would do anything for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another AMAZINGLY written love story, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
Thank you for another AMAZING love story. The detail in every moment of the book kept me wanting more and more. In one sitting I finished the whole book with tears of joy, sorrow and happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Best of Nicholas Sparks since The Notebook!, September 20, 2013
This is the best of Nicholas Sparks since The Notebook - 5 stars ++++! Oh course, I have read all his books and have seen all his movies --they are all great - however, I will say The Longest Ride is at the top of the list with The Notebook. What a beautifully written poignant love story and fell in love with all the characters (especially Luke).

I had purchased the book on pre-order; however, was busy packing for a long extended stay and drive to Highlands, NC and ironically Winston-Salem, NC (from West Palm Beach) which is a 12 hour drive, so decided to purchase the audio from audible.com for my long drive on iPod for next week. However, started listening to it yesterday while packing, and had to finish it tonight as could not put it down--(so will need another book for my trip next week)! (Ironically, listened to The Best of Me by Nicholas on audio for my last trip two years ago from NC to South Florida.)

I would highly recommend the audio as Ron McLarty (whom I love as is the narrator of David Baldacci's books) and January LaVoy - made the book! They did an exceptional job with the performance of Ira/Ruth and Sophie/Luke.

Another huge plus - as a native of NC (Piedmont area) it was nice to hear Nicholas incorporating the Piedmont/Western Carolina mountain areas of NC versus the eastern coast as some of his other books. All the familiar places, I love (Winston-Salem, Old Salem, King, Grove Park Inn, Black Mountain, Asheville, Biltmore, Pinnacle, Clemmons, Yadkinville, 421, Pilot Mountain, Wake Forest, Fabien Restaurant, etc.) Kept waiting for Village Tavern Reynolda Road. In your next book would love a setting in Highlands or Cashiers, NC (so quaint and lots of hiking and waterfalls, Old Edwards Inn & Spa-quaint town and at the top of mountains you can see NC, SC, and GA in one view.

Note to Nicholas: I kept waiting for this in the book - For your movie would love for you to use the setting: Pilot Knob Inn Bed and Breakfast (361 New Pilot Knob Lane, Pinnacle, NC 27043) owned by Jennifer and Will Allen (located at the foot of the Pilot Knob Park right off the exit.) I have stayed there many times over the years when visiting my sons in Winston-Salem.--The adorable historic tobacco cabins are equipped with front porches and rockers, country breakfast-- would be an ideal setting for the cabin scenes for Sophie/Luke and the owner there also shows horses with barn and stalls. You can bring you own horse and rent a stall-- Water hay and fresh bedding are provided for horses. The trails of Pilot Mt. and Sauratown Mt. run through the property with miles and miles of trails. You can also go horseback riding nearby.

Back to the book - without giving away the ending - it was perfect. Great transition between the old (Ira/Ruth) and younger generation (Luke/Sophie) and a brilliant ending. Two couples who seem to have nothing in common; however, by the end -they have more in common than you think. You will smile and cry. Wow, I know NC has hot country guys as have seen my share of them--Cannot wait to see who will be cast in the movie. A must read - be sure and check out Nicholas' new website!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read!, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
I kept trying to figure out how these lives were going to cross paths! A very passionate and loving story!

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and cloying, September 30, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars A long ride for two different couples, September 24, 2013
Suncoast "Suncoast" (Sunshine Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
In "The Longest Ride" Nicholas Sparks weaves intermingled stories of two completely different couples which you know from the start must intersect at the end.

Ira Levinson is over 90 but still driving when he crashes off the road in snow and ice. Badly injured and waiting for rescue he reflects on his life with his beloved wife Ruth who died a few years earlier. In delirium Ruth returns to encourage him and talks about their life together. Every year on a particular anniversary Ira writes a letter to Ruth about their life and love together. Even after her death he keeps writing the letters, the latest one being in the car with him. The story of Ira and Ruth parallels in some ways the story of Noah and Allie in "The Notebook".

Sophia Danko is a college student specialising in art history who is recovering from the breakdown of a relationship with Brian who has cheated her twice but still wants her back. She goes to a Cowboy style dance in a barn only to find Brian is still stalking her. She is rescued by Luke Collins, a competition bull rider who works on his mother's small ranch. On the face of it Luke and Sophia have little in common but slowly but surely a very special romance develops. The chances of their romance surviving after Sophia graduates look slim.

Nicholas Sparks is a consummate author of intelligent stories of personal relationships and romance. While I enjoyed this book at times the rides got a little too long. Warning: Sparks books are usually tearjerkers and this one is no exception.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed!, November 18, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Hardcover)
I just did not like this book! I have read all of his books but this one just did not hold my interest. I have been trying to get through it for 3 weeks and I'm still only half way done. It's just not near the book his other books have been..........sorry I can only give it one star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 21, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
Another great novel, though not surprisingly considering the author. Loved getting to read two LOVE stories joined into one amazing story

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant reminder of life's greatest reward -- love, September 22, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
I laughed, cried, and, most of all, want to rush home from Afghanistan to spend the rest of my life with my wife. I am inspired to be a selfless and loving husband and father.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can you say "Plagiarism"?, October 4, 2013
This review is from: The Longest Ride (Kindle Edition)
This story first appeared as "Who'll Take the Son". Check out Snopes.com for further details.

I'm so disappointed! I've read everything ever written by Nicholas Sparks and was so excited to read what would probably be another great book and maybe another movie.

As I got closer to the end of the book, I became aware of how well I already knew this story, but I kept hoping against hope that I was wrong. But unfortunately, it was not to be the case.

While the stories of Ira & Ruth and Luke & Sophia were engaging and heartwarming, it was completely ruined for me by the stolen ending.

I'm not giving up on Mr. Sparks, I just hope he gets enough backlash from faithful readers to know that we're intelligent people and he shouldn't give us less than his best from his heart and mind.

Such a shame!

The Longest Ride
The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks (Audio CD - September 30, 2014)
$15.00 $9.97