Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Lost Symbol
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,743 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on June 5, 2013
I don't know why Amazon.com isn't selling this book directly--I had to go through a third party seller--but if there's one thing Dan has proven, it's that all of his Robert Langdon books require illustrations. As much as I love the guy's work, I don't want to be strapped down to my computer while I'm reading and then have to STOP reading every five minutes because I have to look up pictures of whatever he just wrote about just so I can know what he's talking about. The alternativve is to continue reading without undertanding and that's just unacceptable. For any lover of the Robert Langdon series, these Illustrated Editions are a must have!
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2010
Right now there are 2601 reviews for the original (non-illustrated) version of this book, so I'll spare you the whole "what is this about" mantra because you probably already know. This book is another in the "Let's Illustrate Dan Brown" series and is easily the best one yet. How they fit in the number of pictures they did while not taking away from the story is beyond me. It's not a secret as to why this book is coming out around the beginning of the Christmas shopping season; this will make an awesome gift for those who have and have not read this book. I have each and every one of the illustrated versions AND in a word, they're worth it. The pictures are colorful and bright and are in perfect concert with the story. The calligraphy is beautiful, and when you wrap it around a larger, more gorgeous book frame... marvelous.
on January 9, 2010
Definitely the clearest in Dan Brown's theme of a spirituality all can embrace with optimism about the possibility of melding a world peace based on understanding of a common thread between religious zealots that distort the great spiritual message of each tradition, all in a compelling page to page turner that I was sorry was over. Hope he continues in this vein. The criticism of others that Langdon is short sighted is earned by his refusal to be open to a spiritual reality outside the confines of science, just because he can't prove it. A must read.
on April 20, 2011
Dan Brown never fails to write a great book. Some aspects I don't like, e.g how he goes back and forth between the main character's point of view. One minute you are hearing things from the la male and becoming totally involved in his story just to be left hanging while the next chapters turns to the thoughts and actions of the enemy. It goes back and forth never failing to hold you in suspension. I had to keep reading just to see what would happen. The story is excellent, and the characters are great, yet the best part is the artwork, artifacts, and very real mysteries that envelope our nations history.
on December 27, 2009
I have read the reviews by people who have given this new Brown's work a single star. The reasons? He is thinking about making a movie out of it; his is using a too structured and repetitive writing style; the characters are supposed to be intelligent but act stupid; ideas were stolen from old movies; the ending was lame; etc. Well, that might be the case but these reviewers have been overanalyzing it. My personal view of this book, which I had to force myself to put down from time to time so I would not finish it too quickly, is that it was entertaining, sprinkled with science, history, religion, symbology (of course), twists.... And I did like the end!
on March 7, 2014
This is a lesson of a city built to last by the finding fathers, but forgotten by the modern world of today. Learn of Capital building that had a fire burning in the middle of the of it, and is still there. Learn the way the Library of Congress get the information to and from Congress, but most of all is, what is at the top of the Washington Monument and what is on it.
on December 7, 2009
All of Dan Brown's books are amazing. But this book ranked first in my database of at least A Thousand books. Dan Brown has spun an intricate tapestry of the Freemasons. The amazing thing is that Dan Brown has used truth, but also strayed from the truth while making a completely believable tale. Katherine's work made me want to try it out myself. I found myself longing to become a Mason. His story is completely believable. Maybe he is right about us being God ourselves and that we are creators. I, myself am a very scientific person, an Athiest. I believe that religion is just a way for people to get away from all of the bad stuff. Even so, all of a sudden, I found myself wondering and believing that this type of thing, however unfathomable may be true. Dan Brown is my favorite author, for he makes me think hwile entertaining me with a somewhat true story about things that people have been pondering for years; things that scholars never figure out.
on November 25, 2009
Initially I resisted reading this book, thinking it would have to be derivative and trashy, a literary equivalent of "National Treasure." But I couldn't be more wrong. It demonstrates oncemore Brown's unique skill for finding the exotic in the mundane, revealing Washington D.C. as a Rome of hidden art treasures, which is fitting, since one of his many fascinating insights is that the city (per Brown) was actually intended to be a new Rome. Whatsmore, the book is a brilliant tour de force of amazing twists. Brown is an extraordinary gifted literary magician, misdirecting the reader over and over before leaning forward to pull the quarter out of his ear. I only anticipated his tricks once. Otherwise he fooled me again and again. I can't even remember being so totally taken in by a novel, ever.

While one might sneer at the "New Age" type of mysticism that runs through the book, Brown does a brilliant job of justifying it as not New Age at all, but in fact a uniquely American phenonema, perfectly fitting with his theme of Washington D.C. being a magical place, founded by men whose feet were as deeply rooted in the world of the occult as in the Bible.

And always, being written, by Brown, it reads like popcorn.

Enjoy!
on November 4, 2009
I actually pre-ordered the hard-cover version of this book and paid full price for it ... and I have no regrets. Dan Brown has done it again and this, along with the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons soars head and shoulders above Digital Fortress. It's as twisted and history-meets-theory enriched as the rest with a new, compelling and equally creepy villain to match. I was slightly disappointed to find far fewer puzzles to be solved in this book, with the others I enjoyed pausing during the read to try and figure out the puzzle or clue before Langdon and his sidekick of the hour could do it for me. In this novel there were really only one or two puzzles to be solved but the eye opening inclusion of interesting scientific studies briefly cusped in this tomb has led me on a path of insatiable reading pleasure long after I closed the Lost Symbol and placed it in its new home upon my shelf.

Well worth the price I paid and by far worth the cost of the kindle version.
on February 23, 2016
Another great novel by Dan Brown. We actually bought two copies of the book so my significant other and I could read it at the same time. And I must say we were NOT disappointed. Cannot wait for the next one by Dan Brown. Definitely worth a read.