5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Every Parent
A must-read for every parent

Of all the addiction memoirs that I have read in the last two years this is one that goes straight to the heart of the matter. Genuine, honest, accessible and heart-breaking are just a few of the words that I would use to describe this powerful book.

Written as a joint account of the lives of a mother and daughter during...
Published on September 24, 2006 by T. Chenery

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptance!
Great book written from 2 points of view that you rarely get to see now. The authors take you from their personal Hell, acceptace & ultimatly forgivness! Difficult to put down!
Published 10 months ago by Rachel Willard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Every Parent, September 24, 2006
T. Chenery "Trevor Chenery" (Chalfont St Giles, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare (Paperback)
A must-read for every parent

Written as a joint account of the lives of a mother and daughter during the troubled times of the daughter's addiction and recovery, it is the mother's side of the story that turns out to be the more poignant since she had it all, then lost it, and ultimately had to find her own way out of the mess that her life was in. She took courageous steps to protect her other children from the damage that her addicted daughter could inflict on her family, the most devastating of which was, time and again, to turn the addict away from her door until her daughter learned she had no choice but to be rehabilitated. Very few loving parents can do this and then command the compassion to restore a beautiful relationship with such a prodigal child.

It must be rare too that an addict who has been so near to death as she had been from the serious diseases of alcohol and drug addiction should later become so unselfishly involved in helping others suffering. To live with the daughter, as one does in the later pages of this book, whilst she struggles through the recovery process and begins the struggle to re-connect with her family is a testament to the hope that exists and lives within all of us. It is the hope born of a belief that we can change our lives from the worst to the very best and it proves once again that where there is love there is life and where there is life there is always hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Owners Manual for Understanding and Treating Alcoholism & Addiction., September 21, 2006
Larry Fritzlan (Mill Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the book I have been waiting for! This is the Owner's Manual for anyone affected by this family disease. So often family members want someone else to change! Bravo Constance! You sought help, put the focus on yourself, set clear boundaries and clear consequences and your family got well. This book is a gift to all parents in a BIG way. Bravo Kristina! You followed your treatment recommendations and got well too. Your book is now mandatory reading for all the teens and all the parents in my teen drug treatment program as well as my graduate students in Counseling Psychology. I predict very big changes as a result of this book. Thank you!

Larry Fritzlan, LMFT - Director, Adolescent Recovery Services.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Years, August 24, 2007
After a year and a half in treatment and two attempts of making it on her own in the real world, my daughter relapsed one more time. Her therapists helped me come to grips with what needed to be done. After cutting her financially off and having her car taken away from her, her therapists told me... "read The Lost Years. It will show you why you have to do what you are doing!" My heart was broken from hearing myself say the words--- we are finished with you financially... and having to tell her that if she didn't do what was recommended for her, she could go out on the streets. I never thought we would have to get to this point. Well- we did! The Lost Years came into my life at a time when I needed a book to not only show me that what we were doing was the right thing but how to do it without feeling guilty. As Constance said.." another senselessness of addiction...."... "when they need you the most you have to turn them away..." Constance is the strongest most admirable mother I know. As I finished the book, tears were streaming down my face. If only my daughter could do what Kristina did!! Alanon has taught me that no person is hopeless. Kristina shows us that. What Kristina and her mother went through was pure hell but they got to the other side of it. They walked through their fears into recovery for both of them and a wonderful life for their famiy. We all need to hear these success stories. We all need role models and these two fine women are they! Thanks for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relating to the Lost Years, October 31, 2006
Susan Douma (Calimesa, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This book is well written, easy to read and almost impossible to put down. The subject matter relates to almost all of us. Who among us has not had such an experience or know someone who has, or is going through a similiar situation? I have a better understanding about how this happens and have been given hope that it does not always end in a negative manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping- I could not put this book down, January 5, 2010
I have worked in the field of Chemical Dependency recovery for almost 30 years and have read & heard 1000's of 'recovery stories' but there is something about this one that hooks you in & doesn't let you go. It is heart-breaking, courageous and ultimately inspiringly clear-sighted. It's one of the best descriptions of how one family member's co-dependency recovery can alter an addict's destructive life course and also what it really takes to get and stay clean & sober. Kristina is unflinchingly honest, brave and vulnerable as she describes what it was like to climb back from the black pit of addiction and go on to become one of the best Interventionists in the country. The work she does now saves lives and families, alters the course of generations of alcoholism and is motivated by such sincerity of purpose.
For anyone who's ever wanted to understand the insanity of addiction, or how the progression occurs, this is the book for you. I keep multiple copies on hand to give out to anyone who's interested in a 'short course' on what Twelve-Step recovery is.
This book is a treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, August 31, 2006
P. Berinstein (Agoura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Riveting! This blow-by-blow memoir is so vivid, so wrenching, that you will live the nightmare along with drug and alcohol addict Kristina and her mother. For those with little or no experience in this netherworld, the most intriguing aspect of the book is getting inside these women's heads. Why does someone start drinking at the age of 13? How can a smart, talented kid fall so low so fast? What does a parent do when a kid doesn't want to help herself? One twist of fate at any of dozens of points, and Katrina's life might have gone differently: she might have snapped out of it, or she might have ended up dead. Even though you know she recovered before you start reading, you can't help being drawn into this page turner.

Luckily, this horror story has a happy and inspiring ending. Even so, it's hard to imagine how any one person, let alone two, could experience that much pain and abuse and not simply die.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Years, October 2, 2006
Kirsten Winkett (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is singularly the most compelling book I have ever read. It was so gripping that despite my 6.00am appointment and knowing I would return to the task of getting 3 kids organized I kept reading it until finished (somewhere around 4.00am).

It is the most beautiful story of redemption and love. You do not have to have issues with abuse to read this book...forgiveness, love and redemption are all acts that we need to give and receive in our lives. The two authers have given us a blue print in their extrodinaryly honest protrayal of how anyone can take the journey back from shame, anger and isolation by telling us their story in a sometimes brutally honest manner.

I do not believe anyone who reads this book will not be moved by it, nor do I believe that lives will not be changed by reading this, mine certainly has.

To the authors, thank you for showing me how healing, taking responsiblity for actions and being truely honest is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary and powerful true story told with great honesty, September 5, 2006
Each of the women bare their hearts in this wrenching story of a mother and daughter's journey to the depths of despair and back. I know the truth of this startlingly vivid memoir because my daughter and I went through a similar journey. We both read the book and felt it resonanted deeply for us.

Kristina and Constance recount their perceptions and feelings about the same events in alternating chapters. The insight that this gives a reader provides a remarkable and very moving experience.

I cannot recommend this book enough to anyone who has a family member who has been sucked down the drain of self-loathing and drugs. This book provides a window into a world of family dysfunction and addiction and will help people to understand how hope is possible and how healing and redemption can take place in the face of all odds. Kristina and Constance's triumph is incrediblly inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring story of recovery!!!, August 21, 2007
I could not put this book down. As a recovering addict myself, I felt I was reading mine and my mom's own story. The book shows how the disease of addiction not only effects the addict, but the whole family. I have sent this book to my mom, and two friends. I urge everyone touched by the disease of addiction to read this book, and then send it on to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start this book only when you have time to not put it down!, September 5, 2006
I read this book start to finish in ONE day, for the simple fact that I could not walk away from it. The way Kristina and Connie write, gives the reader a real connection with both of them. You live the nightmare right along side the authors with every page, and the powerful finish to the story makes you want to stand up and cheer! I gave it to a friend to read whose sister was addicted to drugs, and she then gave it to her husband and parents. Her husband later said to me, "this should be required reading in the schools!" The horrifying details Kristina provides would deter even the most addictive personality. What an incredible story. Get ready for an amazing, and ultimately beautiful emotional rollercoaster.

The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare
The Lost Years: Surviving a Mother and Daughter's Worst Nightmare by Constance Curry (Paperback - September 1, 2006)
$15.95 $13.46