‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Get ready to learn a new language!, April 22, 2014
I'd read the original Five Love Languages from the library several years ago, and I really liked Dr. Chapman's ideas.
They make sense: we each spell L-o-v-e differently. For some of us, it's words of affirmation, others it's acts of service, gift-giving, spending time together, or positive physical touch. Most of us have a dominant love language, identifiable from our own actions and our expectations of others, and all of us need to learn to speak all five languages.
On and off, I had though about the love languages in relation to my family and friends.
Now, Moody Press offers several of Dr. Chapman's books for review, and I was eager to try one again.

The Five Love Languages Singles Edition was a great choice. It encompass a lot of the basic teaching, while not being specifically about marriage.

Dr. Chapman's thesis is that much pain and confusion could be avoided if we just spoke each other's language. I agree.
Within my own family, I know that there's no lack of love, but we certainly all feel unloved at times.
Why? Because we aren't expressing that love in a way that means something to the beloved.
(If I really need a hug, and you offer to vacuum the floor under my desk, you'll wonder why I felt so neglected when you'd been so helpful.)

My Grammy loves receiving gifts. You can give that lady a package of pencils or a pair of socks, and she's hug you and kiss you like you gave her the Hope Diamond. My Mom hates most surprises, and she doesn't like accepting gifts because she knows how much they must have cost. For Mom, it's an act of service that touches her most. A bracelet that Grammy would be delighted to receive will truly mean less to Mom than a week's worth of folded laundry.
Family disharmony can come from very simple roots: Grammy gifts Mom a pink bathrobe for Christmas. Mom looks at it and wonders "Thirty dollars for a garment I'll never wear? Why?" Meanwhile, Mom thinks "I didn't buy her anything, but I know she need's her plants repotted. I'll visit her with new potting soil and make a day of the project, that'll bless both of us."
Was it love? Yes, on both sides, but they were each speaking their own language, and that spelled "You don't understand me!" to the other.

So simple, it's ridiculous. I can see why this book is full of personal stories, from college students with intractable roommates to second marriages, where the Love Languages turned things around.

Too many people, when faced with a personality conflict, react in defensiveness: "I don't need to change what I'm doing- they need to change how they're reacting!" Maybe all you need is a tune-up in they way you both act towards each other?
The other big obstacle I can picture is discomfort: "It's not my style to give verbal praise, hug people, hang out just catching up, etc."
Like Dr. Chapman says, your own style may never change, but you'll probably need to expand your skills so you can meaningfully relate to people with different styles. That's what this whole thing is about... meaningful interaction.

So, if you're curious about the Love Languages, and you're ready to apply them to friends, family, and significant other, then this edition is a fine place to begin. It's got testimonies to show you how this stuff works out in people's lives, it's got an overview of each language, it's got a quiz to assess your own languages, and because it's for singles it's got several chapters specifically looking at the point of dating in the first place. Again, I think Dr. Chapman nails it: dating is ultimately about connecting with another person, and if we aren't used to deep, intentional relationships to start with, dating will be difficult. That's why he applies the Love Languages to every relationship. There's no time like the present to begin learning.

Thank you Moody Press Newsroom for my review copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, February 12, 2014
Mary Jo Rainer (Rock Hill, SC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
Everyone, young, old, single or married should read this book. very informative and lots of insight into
How we each have our own love language that maybe our partner, family, or friends may not recognize.
Lots of helpful information for every reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing!, March 19, 2014
Incredible for learning how to recognize your own love language and that from people around you that you care about. Must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, May 14, 2014
Wonderful book. Very helpful in finding out who I really am. A must read for anyone not just someone "searching" for love

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book I've ever read, May 26, 2014
SHELLEY (St Clairsville, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
Probably the most useful book I have ever read. Easy and quick to read. I didn't want to put it down. It could haven written about me

5.0 out of 5 stars have read, May 24, 2014
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
this is for a gift for my daughter tried to loan her my copy on amazon's free kindle app or her phone but it would not work so found this it is a great little book the author understands human nature and looks ay love in a very realistic and new perspective

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, May 17, 2014
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
Worth it to take the time to read. Clean, clear, precise writing! Learned a lot about myself!
Buy it today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 17, 2014
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
I had read the original 5 love languages and that was good. However, as a single, this edition really addressed specific concerns, challenges and strengths of singleness and relationships. Helping to strike an acceptable and Godly balance is priceless and this book gives powerful insight into establishing this balance in a healthy way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for singles!, July 19, 2014
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition is written by Gary Chapman. I'd heard of the original book many times and it was always excellent reviews. So I was very excited to receive this book.

This book describes the five love languages and how to discover your own, as well as how to love others through their language. The five love languages are: words of affirmation, quality time, physical touch, receiving gifts and acts of service. Throughout the book are practical ideas on how to "live out" showing each love language to others, stories of real people and how this has worked out in their lives, quizzes on how to find your own love language, and more.

I'd highly recommend this book to all singles, and especially before anyone gets married. I'm also looking forward to reading the original book!

{I received a copy of this book from Moody Publishers in return for an honest review.}

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
This review is from: The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition (Paperback)
Great book. Bought this to give to a friend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition
The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition by Gary Chapman (Paperback - January 14, 2014)
$15.99 $10.66