The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$10.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 22, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
I'd read the original Five Love Languages from the library several years ago, and I really liked Dr. Chapman's ideas.
They make sense: we each spell L-o-v-e differently. For some of us, it's words of affirmation, others it's acts of service, gift-giving, spending time together, or positive physical touch. Most of us have a dominant love language, identifiable from our own actions and our expectations of others, and all of us need to learn to speak all five languages.
On and off, I had though about the love languages in relation to my family and friends.
Now, Moody Press offers several of Dr. Chapman's books for review, and I was eager to try one again.

The Five Love Languages Singles Edition was a great choice. It encompass a lot of the basic teaching, while not being specifically about marriage.

Dr. Chapman's thesis is that much pain and confusion could be avoided if we just spoke each other's language. I agree.
Within my own family, I know that there's no lack of love, but we certainly all feel unloved at times.
Why? Because we aren't expressing that love in a way that means something to the beloved.
(If I really need a hug, and you offer to vacuum the floor under my desk, you'll wonder why I felt so neglected when you'd been so helpful.)

My Grammy loves receiving gifts. You can give that lady a package of pencils or a pair of socks, and she's hug you and kiss you like you gave her the Hope Diamond. My Mom hates most surprises, and she doesn't like accepting gifts because she knows how much they must have cost. For Mom, it's an act of service that touches her most. A bracelet that Grammy would be delighted to receive will truly mean less to Mom than a week's worth of folded laundry.
Family disharmony can come from very simple roots: Grammy gifts Mom a pink bathrobe for Christmas. Mom looks at it and wonders "Thirty dollars for a garment I'll never wear? Why?" Meanwhile, Mom thinks "I didn't buy her anything, but I know she need's her plants repotted. I'll visit her with new potting soil and make a day of the project, that'll bless both of us."
Was it love? Yes, on both sides, but they were each speaking their own language, and that spelled "You don't understand me!" to the other.

So simple, it's ridiculous. I can see why this book is full of personal stories, from college students with intractable roommates to second marriages, where the Love Languages turned things around.

Too many people, when faced with a personality conflict, react in defensiveness: "I don't need to change what I'm doing- they need to change how they're reacting!" Maybe all you need is a tune-up in they way you both act towards each other?
The other big obstacle I can picture is discomfort: "It's not my style to give verbal praise, hug people, hang out just catching up, etc."
Like Dr. Chapman says, your own style may never change, but you'll probably need to expand your skills so you can meaningfully relate to people with different styles. That's what this whole thing is about... meaningful interaction.

So, if you're curious about the Love Languages, and you're ready to apply them to friends, family, and significant other, then this edition is a fine place to begin. It's got testimonies to show you how this stuff works out in people's lives, it's got an overview of each language, it's got a quiz to assess your own languages, and because it's for singles it's got several chapters specifically looking at the point of dating in the first place. Again, I think Dr. Chapman nails it: dating is ultimately about connecting with another person, and if we aren't used to deep, intentional relationships to start with, dating will be difficult. That's why he applies the Love Languages to every relationship. There's no time like the present to begin learning.

Thank you Moody Press Newsroom for my review copy!
on June 27, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I bought this book for my son's girlfriend. I have read the original and found it to be very enlightening. I never had someone to talk to about love and relationships when I was young, so it was a learning process. I wish I would have had this book then. I don't want anyone else to go through that. I wanted his girlfriend to understand who she is and how she loves and wants to be loved, so this made the perfect birthday gift. She read the book in one day and bought other books by Gary Chapman. She said it helped her understand many things and she even had my son take the quiz. :) I hope this helps strengthen their relationship. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone, whether you had a positive role model or not.
on February 12, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Everyone, young, old, single or married should read this book. very informative and lots of insight into
How we each have our own love language that maybe our partner, family, or friends may not recognize.
Lots of helpful information for every reader.
on January 20, 2015
Format: Paperback
2015 has barely begun, and I've already discovered number 2 of my top 15 reads of 2015! The first I will mention later, and needless to say, this book by Gary Chapman is the second! I love practical books like this; I read it in one afternoon. As in yesterday afternoon. :)
I will begin by saying that although I had heard glowing reports of ''the 5 love languages'', I hadn't really thought much on the subject and I certainly had never read any of Mr. Chapman's books. This is my introduction into the love languages and I am very interested!

This particular version is the 10th anniversary of the single's edition of this popular theory. The author published it after realizing that many of the readers of his original book ''The 5 Love Languages'', intended for couples, were actually singles! With the knowledge that not only married couples, but every young person desiring to be married needs advice on relationships, they author prepared this version for singles.
To go further, the author also knows that it is most certainly not just eligible singles who would benefit from this book! The fact is: every individual person on the face of this earth has relationships with people around him. If we desire actual working relationships with people, we must know how to love them. I appreciated how this book would be appropriate not only for Christians, but for non-believers as well. I know that the foundational importance is salvation and the state of the soul. But I love how practical the author is in explaining how to understand how to love each human being around us. Although it would be best if the reader is saved, the practical information contained in the chapters of this book should benefit every living being created in the image of God!
Such a variety of relationships is covered in this paperback book. I highly recommend it for singles and even for couples if this is the only available copy!
The author is considerate in including a variety of singles in this chapter book: young people (and their roles as children, and friends), older unmarried people, single parents, divorced adults, widowed adults/parents...Mr. Chapman is quite thorough and wise as he considers each group of people. A good portion of the book also concentrates on singles who are in a dating/courting relationship which I appreciated since the author doesn't assume that all singles will stay single. ;)

It's hard to write a review about a book which is full of good and helpful truths! All I can say is, read it and let it change your relationships! This method, combined with the wonderful book Equipped to Love by Norm Wakefield and the useful brain typing method can change lives, save marriages and salvage many relationships!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 19, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Incredible for learning how to recognize your own love language and that from people around you that you care about. Must read!
on May 26, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Probably the most useful book I have ever read. Easy and quick to read. I didn't want to put it down. It could haven written about me
on August 14, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I absolutely loved this book. It gave me more insight on how I can improve my relationships and prepare for my future. I will definitely try to incorporate the five love languages to everyone I meet.
on May 14, 2014
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Wonderful book. Very helpful in finding out who I really am. A must read for anyone not just someone "searching" for love
on May 25, 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
this is for a gift for my daughter tried to loan her my copy on amazon's free kindle app or her phone but it would not work so found this it is a great little book the author understands human nature and looks ay love in a very realistic and new perspective
on March 26, 2014
Format: Paperback
Written by: Gary Chapman
Published by: Northfield Publishing

I absolutely love all that I have read from Gary Chapman so far, and so I was excited to dig into this book, as well.

The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition shares Gary Chapman's theory that each person feels loved especially much in on of five ways - through touch, words, acts of service, time, or gifts - and tells how that applies to singles.

Who the book is for:

Singles, obviously. Including single parents.

What I liked:

This book is applicable.

Full of stories that make it interesting.

Easy to read.

What I didn’t like:

There is nothing in particular that I didn't like.

My conclusion:

Overall, I recommend this book to singles everywhere.

I give The 5 Love Languages Singles Edition 5 out of 5 stars.

I received this book free to review from MPNewsroom. The opinions expressed in this review are my true thoughts and feeling regarding this book. I am disclosing this information in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.