Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: DVDChange

on February 3, 2012
Yes, it is a bit corny, and flawed. Yes, it has a few minor weaknesses in the acting and in production. Yes, the story line is not even remotely realistic.

So what! It is a sweet, sexy love story that could have gone horribly wrong, given the subject matter. I mean, it is hard to make light of cancer and hard to make light of what the main character and his Doctor did, but if you suspend reality a bit and just go with it, you may just enjoy this film. I certainly did.

It had its funny moments throughout, and the two main characters are easy on the eyes.

To really enjoy this story, just don't take it too seriously, don't expect too much from it, but sit back and fall in love with falling in love. Do that and this movie is hit. I personally loved it and laughed several times, and found myself smiling throughout.

Enjoy
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2011
Finally, a romantic comedy with a gay couple; bout time. The dialogue was refreshing and funny. The lead actors are handsome, and well, hot. The woman who played the mother was fantastic - believable as Jewish mother. Plus, the little boy, he was a doll. I really enjoyed everything about the movie. It's a must see for the romantics at heart.
0Comment43 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
This was a cute movie! worth the rental but very unrealistic! If someone did this to me they would have my foot in their ass!
on January 31, 2013
I don't particularly like the main character or the story in general. However, it has decent acting, a few laugh-out-loud moments, good production quality, and a happy ending. So, as far as gay romantic comedies go, I say this one makes it into the green (but not by much).
on April 21, 2012
Hilarious, totally wacky and, despite prim naysayers here at Amazon and IMDB, quite wonderful. And Sweet -- and there ain't nowhere near enough of that going 'round. Bought it sight unseen 'cause it starred Ben Lutz, who (a) is drop dead gorgeous IMHO, and (b) unquestionably had the funniest line in the whole movie of BITE MARKS (which I originally bought 'cause it had Windham Beacham in it).

Now, if some enterprising director would just put Ben Lutz and Barry Zito, the SF Giants' pitcher, in a romantic comedy together! (They look enough alike to be at least cousins. So since I was not bothered by FROM BEGINNING TO END, I think that would be really neat, and hot -- and never mind Barry's baseball statistics! I'd pay to see those two together as readily and happily as I go to AT&T Park to see Barry!!!!!

Enjoy this insane piece of fluff. Madcap, zany, sweet and, in places, really, really funny.
on December 22, 2011
This movie had me laughing from the beginning. Well done and very entertaining. Its a must see with colorful characters and great sound.
0Comment21 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2012
1. The whole idea of pretending having cancer to get your bf back (sick, especially for people, who experienced cancer in their families). Why not pretending being HIV+? That could be a "nice" story too:(
And the perfect bf who takes him back over and over again? Who in real world would be soooo naive and trust such egoist and mind-player again?
2. What is the message that the director put in the film? That cheating does pay off? That people without any morals are more likely to succeed? Or maybe the one that a lot of gay people are sociopath?
I know it was supposed to be just a comedy, but even then I expect something more from a motion picture than a few handsome bodies.
Anyway,
2. acting in 85% time of the film is really pathethic. The only parts I enjoyed were the characters of the old doc and the dumb Ted (playing not a bright person isn't all that difficult, is it?).
The rest of the cast members is wooden.
The only reason I highered my rating were the last 2 minutes of this film. A positive message that gays could also be foster parents.
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
Disappointed in yet another gay themed movie. With Hollywood brimming with gay writers, directors, and actors, why do we still get 'less than' from gay movies. The movie is built on a hoax of the most serious kind. The only serious actor was the bf who left the lead and yet came back to him in the end. YUCK. Little entertainment. Less annoying if you ignore the less than quality of the video, the less than acting, and the less than weak plot.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 31, 2013
This tells the story of Paul (Benjamin Lutz) he has lost his boyfriend through a breach of trust and can't get over it. So after more than a year (that is two in gay years for those not in the know) he decides to get his man back.

The problem is he works with his ex Brad (John Werskey) in an advertising company. Brad has moved on and is dating bi guy Ted (Jackson Palmer). He also does some social work at a local clinic run by his life long doctor friend Dr, Bert Halper. Whilst there he realises that if you are ill, people naturally let you get away with stuff and rally around. So you can guess what he does. He bribes his friend to invent that he has the `c' word yes crabs, sorry no cancer.

As word spreads he is soon inundated with well wishers which also includes his larger than life mother, millionaire, nymphomaniac, sister and the much desired Brad. As the deception piles up so does the stress and the humour levels.

Well this is a comedy and there are quite a few laughs but not enough to give you face ache. There is some nudity but nothing to make your auntie have to leave the room or to require that emergency Kleenex be on hand. Director Michael Simon has made a warm, human and moral tale that balances the gross lie with a human narrative that pulls you along for the journey rather than forcing it on you. Its just over an hour and a half long - which is about perfect for this type of tale. It wont change your life but it should put a smile on your face.
on December 31, 2012
It's been a few days since I rented this and I still can't get over how horrible it was on so many levels. The plot is just dumb, for one...but in the days since I watched it I'm actually very disturbed by the fact that someone actually made a movie about a guy faking cancer to get attention. I actually liked the main actor in another movie he's in (the one where he plays a guy who ends up dating a guy who is also dating his father). That's why I took a chance on "the love patient". Very few gay movies are "good" in the sense that they are well-made or well-written...but this is honestly the first movie in a while that I've seen that made me want to take a shower afterwards.

I still can't get over how horrible it was for this guy to fake having cancer and put people through the emotional terrorism of that. And nobody really had that big of a problem with him doing this, which is disturbing.

I wish I had not watched this, but what was seen cannot be unseen at this point.