Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now

on September 6, 2011
First of all, I am a retired doctor who has had diabetes for about 15 yrs. This is the best, clearest, and most realistic book on this subject that I have read. I would say that this doctor's experience mirrors mine except I took longer to get the message. It is good that he doesn't dismiss medication and insulin because some diabetics, like myself, need these things even if we eat zero carbs. Believe me I have tried it and my sugar remains higher than I would like. This idea of burned out beta cells is relatively recent and it is very important to address it which he does in the book. Most important, his approach works and I have dramatically dropped my medication and insulin requirements and have lost some 25 lbs in about 4 months with relatively little hunger using this approach.

His book is understandable but still interesting to an educated reader. I should put educated in quotes because so much of the medical information out there is so wrong still. I read his book on my kindle and it was easy to do so. And he does not advocate medication per se for everyone, only those who need it. And he gives the pros and cons and the science in the process. Like him, I could stop my medication, and I have for periods but even with perfect eating the fasting is still about 150 and inches up to 170-180 even if I eat only a little protein. I have experimented and those are the facts. So, the doctor is right and maybe some don't like that but those, again, are the hard facts.

So, again, I like his approach and I do not think he is overly aggressive or dogmatic about it, just realistic, scientific and giving his experience. Also, he tells you what is backed up by science, what isn't and what is his experience and one can judge it from there. I will be recommending this book to all my friends who are diabetic and even some who are probably prediabetic.

The only place where my experience is different from his is that for me the Atkins is not too hard to follow because of "cravings". I do find Atkins helpful and complementary which he does not. One can't agree on everything and I suspect he feels this way due to his patient experience and, perhaps, his personel experience. Certainly, there are plenty of cookbooks out there for Atkins and low carb that are compatible with his approach.

Also, one helpful thing he doesn't talk about is pork rinds, the one great low carb snack that is allowed. Wow, I used to make fun of people who bought these, but now I buy them because they are the only low carb snack type food I have found that is allowed when you want something like chips and they make wonderful breading ground up.

I should note that age and exercise plays a role in the medication thing since when I was younger and first diabetic I could eat low, low carb and drop my blood sugar to normal or exercise a lot and do likewise. With age this is not so and now in my 60's this does not work. One has to be flexible and realistic. I say this and again return to this issue of medication because of the review by the person who excoriated the doctor for advocating medication when it is needed. What can I say, these are the limitations of our genetics for some of us and also the legacy of many years of stressing our beta cells. Had I know all of this when I was younger maybe I now could be without medication but I and many others did not know this because it was not known then. Be flexible I say and experiment but still face facts when you must. This book helps you do that. For that I am grateful to the doctor.
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2011
I have purchased and read so many other books about Type 2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and have floundered ever since. The ADA-inspired diet I was given at my doctor's office, I knew was way too high in carbs and too low in good fats and protein. Around here, in "diabetic (mis)education programs" run by doctor's offices, the outmoded low-fat approach is all you get despite the established fact the it is carbs that raise blood sugar and not fats or proteins.

I was convinced by the Atkins-style and near-Atkins diets such as Barnard's and Bernstein's but could not quite tolerate the restrictiveness and the planning and work involved in strictly counting carbs all the time.

Finally, I thought I will try one more book, and Dr. Thompson's book was one on Amazon with very good reviews. It really was a last gasp; I was so discouraged because I knew I wasn't getting the right approach, and I didn't have a lot of hope, really.

I am 5 ft. 5 inches tall, 60 years old and retired, and weighed 217 lbs. on February 2 when I started this program. I was inactive and depressed, having lots of trouble even getting out of bed and dressed in the morning. Every morning I promised myself that I would do better, and every evening, I craved and ate high carb snacks. The diabetic neuropathopy in my toes was gradually worsening. I was afraid of what I was doing to myself but seemingly powerless to stop. I was afraid to go back to the doctor and get new blood work done because I knew the results would be bad.

Dr. Thompson has Type 2 Diabetes himself and has maintained his condition with no deterioration for 10 years. He is also board certified in both cardiology and internal medicine. The basis of his food plan is: avoid as much as you possibly can foods that contain sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, corn, and fruit juices (which contain too much sugar without fiber). Tomato/vegetable juice is okay as are all fruits and vegetables and all meats, fowl, and fish. Avoid tran-fats. Only one breakfast cereal is recommended: All-Bran @ 1/3 cup per day. No other cereals, hot or cold. Also exercise 45 minutes per day with aerobic exercise preferred over anaerobic.

Of course, there is more, and you should read the book. There is also a cookbook.

I have been following the plan now for two weeks and have lost 6 pounds. I am also awakening feeling so much better and brighter than I have in years (always thought I was just not a morning person). I have lots more energy and have finally been getting on the eliptical machine for a 1-hour tv-program-length session each evening. The neuropathy in the toes has improved significantly.

My evening food cravings were mostly for starchy or starchy and sweet foods. After a couple of somewhat hard days, my cravings are now nearly gone. They disappeared within a couple of days. What a relief!

After two long years and a long, long search of many books, I have finally found my program. I am going to get blood work done as soon as I pass 200 lbs on the way down. I know my doctor will be aghast at the improvement in blood work and weight.

Thank you, Dr. Thompson! You may have saved my life!
on October 15, 2009
I was EXTREMELY disappointed in this book. And I was very excited to get it too. I discovered on my own that I needed to follow a very low starch diet to control my blood sugar. So I was hoping this book would support my dietary changes that keep me in perfect control.

Not the case. This doctor offers a low starch diet, but also is a BIG advocate of diabetes drugs and insulin. He throws in a chapter about exercise and then the sample diets are HORRIBLE for a diabetic. In one sample dinner he has you eating a cup of grapes. If I eat more than 5 grapes I get a BS spike. He has you drinking a lot of milk. MILK!! even whole milk puts my BS so high I have to go work out for an hour to get it back down.

He says "sugar" is not the culprit....it's starch. However, all of his "sweet" recipes have Splenda in them. He then goes on to say it is o.k. to have a small amount of sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth. With a disclaimer that if you find sugar addict, you better skip this allowance. Geez...sugar is one of the most addictive substances on earth. If I had a handful of jellybeans after dinner like he says I can...I'd be in a coma....and wanting more later after the fog head wore off.

Here is his advice:

Low starch diet
Metaformin (as soon as possible...just ignore the nasty side effects it can have)
Exercise
Insulin

That is the gist of the entire book. Poor poor.

The word "solution" indicates you have found an answer. Something that works. He attaches it to "low-starch" when in fact his diet would not work without the exercise and copious amounts of drugs he says you should take.

His sample diets would have me on insulin.

He talks about his recipes and says there is no alternative to gluten. That is utter BS. 10 minutes on Google will have you tons of recipes that switch out gluten for other ingredients to make muffins, etc. And some are low carb (use eggs to hold it together). I am Celiac so I know this to be true. I make gluten free goodies for holidays once in awhile that people cant tell the difference!!

What has worked for me is: very low starch diet, low sugar fruits (berries), lots of green leafy veggies, no corn, no dairy, no grains, no rice, no beans, no potatoes, real fats such as coconut, butter, olive oil, meats, eggs, nuts and seeds. That's it!! Exercise everyday for 45 minutes. S.I.M.P.L.E. And most importantly no drugs or insulin.

VERY DISAPPOINTED!! Nothing groundbreaking. Nothing new. And NOT A SOLUTION to anything!
99 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2010
For years I've been concentrating on a low or NO sugar diet but that didn't stop me from eating bread, rolls,pasta and potatoes. Dr. Thompson's book has shed light on the importance of concentrating on a NO STARCH or low starch diet to control or prevent diabetes. I thought that would be impossible for me. But I found, that as the days went by on my diet, my cravings for starchy foods abated. NOW, after a few weeks, I don't miss bread at all. I lost 16 pounds. Of course I also follow a strict exercise plan. I do pushups and walk 40 minutes a day. Dr. Thompson's book offers good advice on coping with controlling blood glucose levels. My readings are normal. My doctor is pleased with my diet plan. And I find that I can eat fruit and even ice cream and still keep my sugar levels down.
This isn't rocket science. A lot of what's in this book has been known by doctors for years. But this book is surprisingly easy to read and understand. And it offers recipes to add a little variety to your diet. I highly recommend this book. It changed my life and I hope it helps others as well.
on February 10, 2010
10 years ago I lost 100lbs using Dr Atkin's low carb books and felt great. I then met and married my dear husband, moved to America, had children and several miscarriages, partook of the terribly sweet foods and excessive portion sizes until last Oct. I had gone to the doctor for a knee problem and discovered my BP was high. I was horrified, knowing I was overweight again by some 50lbs, and expected to have a heart attack immediately. That visit was a true blessing as it was the shock I needed to change my health again. I went back to Atkins, started riding my bike, mounted on an indoor trainer since we have snowy winters, 30mins 5 times a week. After 3 days once again I was feeling so much better, sleeping better, had more energy.I came to Amazon looking for any updated Atkins/low carb books and found Rob Thompson's book. I confess I got it from the library to read but then bought it for my Dad, who has type 2 diabetes and he thinks it great too! It is less severe than Atkins, which I believe makes it more doable long term. He explains things very easily and has really added modern findings since Atkins day as far as how foods affect your blood sugar levels. I have been on his way of eating etc for 3 months and lost 12lbs and several inches.I would encourage you to record your measurements rather than rely solely on your scales. My blood pressure is now normal and so are my cholestrol numbers.I would not hesitate to recommend this book and his others to you, even if you are not struggling with weight issues.
on October 17, 2009
Given the high quality of Dr. Thompson's previous works, I made sure I obtained "The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution" as soon as it was released. I was not disappointed.

While this book does repeat some of the information from his previous books, it references several recent studies to back up his findings. Also, unlike a previous reviewer, I found the information on diabetic drugs quite informative. It's great if you can totally control your diabetes without them, but many of us can't.

I've recently read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and do not doubt the successes he has seen with his methods. However, I do not think many people could handle the Atkins-like diet that he describes (I know I couldn't). Therefore, it is refreshing to see an effective alternative, such as the one described in "The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution" that is easy to follow every day.
Obesity, heart disease, and diabetes have been on the rise for the past few decades with seemingly no end in sight. It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that whatever we are doing differently now than we did before this astronomical rise began in the 1970s should be corrected immediately. And maybe, just maybe the answer to this issue that baffles the so-called health "experts" and government health agencies could be what we have added into our diet when we pushed for the removal of fat from our menus.

Dr. Rob Thompson knows abundantly well why these diseases of modern man exist and has come up with a simple, yet effective solution to correct them. He is a cardiologist behind the bestselling of the book The Glycemic-Load Diet: A powerful new program for losing weight and reversing insulin resistance and the accompanying The Glycemic-Load Diet Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight and Reverse Insulin Resistance with low-carb cookbook author Dana Carpender. His latest book The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution: Six Steps to Optimal Control of Your Adult-Onset (Type 2) Diabetes was inspired by Dr. Thompson's sudden personal diabetes diagnosis.

In this new book, you'll hear him share why dietary fat and cholesterol being labeled a culprit in heart disease has become a joke among his cardiologist colleagues, why high cholesterol is entirely genetic and has nothing to do with your diet, why he supports the use of statin drugs, the difference between glycemic index and glycemic load, how the addition of grains to our food supply introduced more starch to our diets, how grains have added 100 times more glucose from starch than prehistoric man, why glycemic load is all but ignored, why carbohydrates are so heavily promoted (HINT: cha-ching!), why he believes most Americans can easily afford fresh, non-starchy foods, how the glycemic load works in practical application, why the glycemic load of beer is so difficult to measure, why red meat is not the problem with heart disease, obesity and diabetes, the statistics of how cholesterol and fat consumption have dropped while starch has dramatically increased, why dietary fat doesn't go up when you begin eating low-carb, why portion control is unnecessary on low-carb, his concerns over the sustainability of the Atkins diet, how a lack of activity has contributed to obesity and diabetes, why he wrote a book on the subject of diabetes, his support for the use of Metformin for preventing and treating diabetes, the importance of LDL particle size as the preferred method for measuring cholesterol, how vinegar and walnuts can inhibit starch absorption, why not drinking any liquid with meals can slow the amount of starch your body absorbs, why walking two miles is just as effective as running two miles, how diabetes damages your body through the blood vessels, why blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes all act together to destroy your health, and his highly controversial position on the role of sugar in the diet (which I vehemently disagree with him about).

If you care about health and want to discover why it has been on the continued decline for several decades, then you'll find this book to be quite fascinating!
on November 3, 2009
I could hardly put this book down. I finally understand why I have diabetes. Dr. Thompson's method makes more sense to me than anything else I have read. Now I have a clear picture of exactly what needs to be done to have a perfect blood sugar. I am going to buy a copy for my son who also has diabetes.
on November 14, 2009
WOW great book , I have the Glycemic Load Diet book by Rob Thompson,M.D. That my Sister sent me awhile back , I was so happpy with it so tried this Low Starch Diabetes Solution book by Rob Thompson,M.D. Now I don't usually like to read books much , but I find I have a hard time putting it down when I have to start dinner . I find it very helpful. I know it will truly help me to choose more wisely what I put in my mouth .I have started to have a bit of meat a bit of vegtable's for dinner followed by a small bowl of fruit toped with cottage cheese for desert sprinkled with a bit of splenda . I find I am satisfied . I also like the high fiber muffins also.I want my Daughter and her husband to read these books so will lend them to them . My Daughters husband has Diabetes type 2 real bad and is having a real rough time of it .I am sure they also will find these book real helpful.Thanks Rob Thompson ,M.D. for taking time from your busy schedule to write these books .
Joseph & Charlotte Buel
on October 15, 2011
I was so afraid being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes!..I am so glad I didn't listen to the first reviewer! This book is a life-saver for me!!!
I hated to go back to Atkins again..this is so much better! Thanks so much to the doctor!!! It is working great.