4.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual Chick Lit fluff...This book has some depth
I first must confess that I am a Beth Kendrick fan and I have loved most of her books. Nearlyweds and the Bake-Off are two of my all time favorite books. That being said I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book because while I love dogs and I love books, I don't typically love books about dogs.

So I can report that I was pleasantly surprised to be...
Published on June 9, 2012 by Bellingham Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Dog matchmaking and light romance
Published 4 months ago by Michelle Boytim

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual Chick Lit fluff...This book has some depth, June 9, 2012
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)

So I can report that I was pleasantly surprised to be sucked into this book from the first chapter. The main female character is well fleshed out and multi-dimensional. As the book progresses you begin to understand why Lara is so drawn to dogs that no one else wants because they aren't perfect.

This book has a light romantic theme to it. However, the bulk of the book is spent on explaining the past and developing the future of Lara's relationships with her parents: The impossible to please Justine and the flaky "fun" dad Gil.

This book isn't the usual fluffy, mad cap chick lit. It has heft and it shows that a heroine can suffer financial, emotional and romantic set backs and still be OK without an amazing and flawless prince to swoop in and fix everything for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really fun book to read!, May 16, 2012
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
I suppose that the title of this review says quite a bit. I have to admit that this isn't really the type of book that I am drawn to. The title and of course the cover art was irresistable to me. It is an easy book to read. The main character Lara was very believable and I could really identify with her having been involved with dog rescue most of my adulthood.

But, the best characters were the dogs. The author described their personalities so well that I felt like I knew them. I really recommend this book for easy adult reading. Young adults would enjoy it and perhaps learn something about the humane approach to pets. It is great summer reading.

It is not deep literature.....but it earned 5 stars from me for its ease of reading and totally captivating characters both canine and human.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Luckydog Matchmaking Service, October 14, 2012
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
This was a cute book, I read it cover to cover in one sitting. I knew from the cover it would probably be interesting, and I was right. I had a real problem with some of the characters though, and that's what kind of ruined the book for me in some regards, making it a 3.5 star kind of book.

Lara is very good with dogs. So good in fact that she is known as a matchmaker of sorts for people and their dogs. She can find a stray the perfect home. Too bad she's not as good at matchmaking in other regards though, especially with her own love life. When she and her boyfriend have a fight over her rescued dogs, Lara finds herself homeless, and back living with her mom, who's not the most maternal of people. But she also gets new opportunities in the form of dog training clients from this move too, so thinks are starting to look up.

Lara is an ok character. She's strong willed in some ways and flaky in others, but for some reason it just doesn't mesh together and make her seem like a real person. I think she gets walked on too much, and that it is excused too easily during the book. Her boyfriend I didn't like at all either, and I'm not sure what she saw in him really. The same with her parents, I can understand a child being attached to someone because they are a parent, but she would have been better to just walk away from the both of them. The only really redeeming character in this would be her friend Kerry, and even she had problems of her own.

The plot was cute though. And that's what saved this book. I liked the concept of a dog matchmaker and all the hard work that was put into finding good homes for dogs. That kind of thing just gives me the warm fuzzies. And when it was talking about the dogs the descriptions were better and the ideas were better too. Kendrick took the time to make you want the best for these dogs, more so than for the human characters. I did think the ending moved a little fast and things were resolved a little too quickly as well, but for the most part the book maintained a decent pace.

Cute, and while it could have used better characters it was still worth the read. I would probably read more by this author.

The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
Copyright 2012
320 pages

Review by M. Reynard 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, sparkling read for anyone who loves dogs (and even those who don't!), May 3, 2012
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
THE LUCKY DOG MATCHMAKING SERVICE is a sparkling, charming book by well-regarded women's fiction author Beth Kendrick. This may be my favorite of her books to date (although I still have a soft spot for her debut novel, MY FAVORITE MISTAKE.)

Lara Madigan never met a rescue dog she didn't love and appreciate. She's able to see past the matted fur and bad behavior to the canine soul underneath. It may take her awhile to find a human being who is able to see the dog's true potential as much as her, but when she does, Lara creates a match made in doggy (and people) heaven.

A chance television interview leads to Lara being crowned the "Dog Matchmaker" of her Arizona town, and soon Lara has more dogs dumped on her than even the most industrial-strength lint removers and air fresheners can cope with. While Lara accepts each animal with an open heart, her live-in boyfriend - despite writing a napkin contract that declared he would be a dog person - decides he likes chew-free furniture more than he loves her.

Now homeless, and with more pets than even the most intrepid landlord would allow, Lara has no choice but to move her in with her mother, a fashionista who places emphasis on appearances over emotional connection. The good news is that the residents of the posh neighborhood can't wait to hire a local "celebrity" (thanks to the TV interview) and Lara soon finds her talents in demand. But while she is an intuitive expert at solving dogs' emotional issues, her own remain unresolved.

Lara's emotional journey is the heart of the book, and a wonderful, fulfilling journey it is for the reader. Meanwhile, Kendrick does a terrific job populating the book with characters - both canine and human - who make you laugh and cry.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dog matchmaking and light romance, August 14, 2014
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
In addition to her real job, Lara helps run a dog rescue with her best friend. She has recently moved in with her boyfriend, who reluctantly tolerates the dogs until he reaches a breaking point and tells her that he is not a dog person. Stunned, she moves out, and ends up living with her mother, who begins touting her daughter's dog training services. Lara is hired as a handler for a prize Bernese Mountain Dog and begins enjoying her life until she inadvertently finds out that her former boyfriend/fiance has a new female in his life. This is your typical feel good light romance, but I did have a few pet peeves that have little to do with the actual story. One, it really bothered me that it was implied that valley fever could potentially be transmitted from dog to human or dog to dog. This is untrue. It is a fungal spore disease that is transmitted by inhaling the spores from infected soil. The second was about dog conformation scoring and placements. The story presents an overly simplified version of how this works, which makes sense as it is not key to the plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars loads of laughter, May 17, 2014
i love reading and re-reading this book it always makes me laugh and is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dogs and Romance, November 27, 2014
Lara Madigan's devotion to her rescue dogs exceeds common sense and after a disastrous dog day, her fiancee calls it quits. She packed her bags and left.

She has the knack of rehabbing problem dogs and matching them to a new owner. Unfortunately she is now homeless with 6 dogs. One option, moving in with her controlling, upscale mom, opens up major angst. Lara's life is spinning out of control.

At first, I wasn't sure I would like this dog-obsessed woman, but as she works her way through the issues, I came to enjoy the humor and romance in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 6, 2014
tracy hunt (manalapan, nj United States) - See all my reviews
Fun summer read. I am a rescue volunteer so this book was fun for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 28, 2014
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
Great book - I will be looking for more of Beth Kendrick to read... Very entertaining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to read it straight through, June 26, 2014
This review is from: The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service (Paperback)
A great book for the day at the beach. Easy to read, well-developed plot and characters. So do have fun!

The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service
The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick (Paperback - May 1, 2012)
$15.00 $11.93