5.0 out of 5 stars Which came first, the chicken or the egg?, June 8, 2011
This review is from: The Lumber Room: Mental Illness in the House of Medicine (Kindle Edition)
An engaging review of modern (post-1960s) diagnosis and treatment for "mental" illness, this is a provocative essay about the origins and misconceptions of psychological disease assessment.

I recommend the book to those seeking a broader grasp of the philosophical underpinnings of modern psychological treatment or anyone with a natural curiosity about just which comes first, medical or psychological disease? -- the chicken, or the egg?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lumber Room Review, June 2, 2011
This book is a very interesting look into the history of how "mental illness" came into being. The authors theory that mental illness stems from physical problems and that we just categorize what we cannot understand as a mental illness is intriguing to me. As a person struggling to cope with a mental illness, I am only beginning to delve into why I am labeled with a mental illness and what is really wrong with me. This book was very informative and I recommend it to further understand how we came to where we are with mental diagnosis and how we have categorized the unknown ailments throughout history to present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compact guide to an important topic, March 3, 2013
Very little has been written about how physical conditions and illnesses can lead to, or worsen, psychiatric problems, and I think many people in the mental health field tend to forget that the brain's chemistry is not just determined by what medications the person is on. This book is a very concise overview of the research that has been done on the topic and covers a wide range of problems, including schizophrenia, manic depression, tourette's, OCD, seizure disorders, and migraine headaches. It doesn't take long to get through and can be a useful guide to anyone researching these issues.