5.0 out of 5 stars Great new band!
Published on April 17, 2012 by Drew

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Album
I felt it has some good (maybe great) songs, but lots of mediocre songs in between. I find myself losing interest every time I try to listen to it straight through.
Published on November 26, 2012 by jchip

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new band!, April 17, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
After hearing 'Ho Hey' a number of times on the Current in Mpls I had to check out the rest. After listening to track 1 (Flowers in your Hair) I was already hitting the download button. Zero regrets, there isn't a dud to be heard. Lots of boot stomping and hand clapping as percussion along with some sweet melodies and beautiful lyrics. I'm not very good at writing about music but if you like stuff like the Avett Brothers or Low Anthem or The Head & the Heart I'm pretty sure you will like this. In fact, if you buy this album and you don't like it I will meet you exactly halfway between my house in Minneapolis and your house wherever that is and I will buy you a sandwich.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice debut!, April 3, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
I actually would rate this cd between 3.5 and 4 stars. I heard their song Ho Hey a few days ago and got very excited for this release and I was not disappointed. The Lumineers have a great sound that reminds me Mumford & Sons, The Head and the Heart, and at times, Fleet Foxes. I make comparisons to these bands only because I have found and heard great music as a result of checking out bands that are similar to music I already enjoy listening to. Their self-titled album has a very spirited, upbeat (even in the slower tempo songs) mood that is very infectious. While I would not say that it is unlike anything I have ever heard, I would be comfortable saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through and it is only growing on me with each listen (as most good music does..IMO).

Favorite tracks: Dead Sea, Ho Hey, Slow It Down, Flapper Girl, Morning Song

4.0 out of 5 stars Is This the Album for You?, August 18, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (MP3 Music)
While modern music has been moving towards a more synthesized, polished brand of sound, there has been an increase in bands that focus on traditional, folksy songwriting. Compared to, let's say Maroon 5, these bands stick out in stark contrast. Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, Admiral Fallows, the Head and the Heart, Old Crow Medicine Show, the Avett Brothers -- the list goes on and on. The Lumineers' debut album (selftitled) firmly establishes the band as a group to be reckoned with in these ranks.

The band begins with the poignant "Flowers in Your Hair," and it's a great introduction to the band's sound and sensibilities. The Lumineers aren't quite folk, not quite bluegrass, not quite Americana, not quite blues, but they fall somewhere along all of these spectrums. Underlining everything is Wesley Schultz's earnest vocal delivery and Neyla Pekarek's fantastic harmonies. "Ho Hey" is the song that everyone has been talking about lately -- the band's breakthrough hit is representative of a lot of the material on this album. The album ranges between faster songs and slower ballads, and the band handles both equally well (I don't seem to really prefer one style over the other here).

The Lumineers have established themselves as a band on the rise and certainly one to watch in the next few years. Listeners of Mumford & Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show, and the Head and the Heart will find plenty of material here to love. Essential tracks to sample/download: "Ho Hey," "Slow It Down," and "Morning Song."

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Hey!, October 18, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
Admittedly, I bought this CD for the song Ho Hey, and then became crazy about the rest. For the most part, the songs are fairly upbeat, ranging from the humorous (Submarines) to antiwar (Charlie Boy), with a few stopovers in between for a life lesson (Classy Girls) and an amusing love song (Dead Sea). If I had any complaints at all, it would be about the order in which the songs are presented. Why a dirge after the lovely Ho Hey? They didn't just switch gears they slammed on the brakes. I almost got whiplash!

I do love my songs with a bit of substance. This group has all that and more.

My favorites are Ho Hey, Dead Sea, Flapper Girl, and Submarines.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, most honest album in years, May 4, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
I was not sure what to expect when I ordered this album, I loved the catchy song "Ho Hey" I keep hearing on the radio. Each time I listen to this album, I am taken away by the depth and thoughtfulness of the lyrics. listen for your self - and look up the words! this is the best album I have heard in years.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my new favs, May 12, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (MP3 Music)
This album really surprised me!
I really enjoy every single track except for 1 or 2 (I believe the last 2 on the album).
I would actually rate this CD a 4.5 out of 5 if I could.

"Ho Hey", "Dead Sea", "Submarines", and "Big Parade" are my favorites so far. But really I tend to listen to the entire CD except for last track.
"Big Parade" in particular is the most visual song I've heard in a while. I normally don't pay much attention to lyrics, but that would be doing an injustice to this song. I love the imagery, the lyrical content, and the style.
Something about "Submarine" is amazing as well, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

The sound is great. I think if you enjoy The Head and the Heart's self-titled album, you'll enjoy this CD, but that's not a perfect comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, April 7, 2012
Brandon "ba116" (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
Finally, an album that I can listen to all the way through! Over the past few months, the Lumineers quickly became my new go-to. It's just pleasant music w/ great melodies and interesting depth. About half of this album is a more polished version of the EP and the other half is new songs. If I had to characterize The Lumineers, I'd say they're similar to Bright Eyes, except 10 times better and a tenth as annoyingly self-infatuated. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first album!, April 28, 2012
Priya86 (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lumineers (MP3 Music)
I saw the Lumineers by chance a few years back. They were playing a club we were at in Denver. They play such an amazing live show that I was hooked and immediately started looking for their record! A first album wasn't released until this year though and it was worth the wait! The Lumineers have incredible stage presence and it shows through on the album. They perform with heart and the music plays that way. I loved this album, it reminds me of Mumford & Sons meet The Civil Wars meet their own brand of folk rock. I highly recommend this album but only gave it 4 stars (would have given it 3.5 but can't rate half stars I would however give the vinyl a solid 4 stars the Lumineers have great vinyl sounds) because there is room to grow. This is the kind of album that I find myself loving the more I'm listening to it. So much so that months after writing my original review I'm here to say, I wish I had marked them a 5 instead of a 4. I hope they follow up with an even more inspired sophomore album. I like that folk music is making these strides to modernize without throwing their roots to the wind ("country" I'm looking at you). This is a fun album and it's a regular during our dinnertime food prep/clean up. Everyone in my house likes it. I look forward to seeing The Lumineers live again and look forward to a sophomore album, hopefully sooner rather than later!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of Year So Far, April 5, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
Anyone who likes acoustic sounds and great song-writing should buy this album. It's been years since I found an album I can listen to as frequently as this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light My Way, December 24, 2012
This review is from: The Lumineers (Audio CD)
The Lumineers debut album rides the folk-rock wave currently being popularized by the likes of The Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons. But unlike either of those two bands, whom I love, The Lumineers eschew polish and production for a defiantly low-fi souns and a great dependence on "Ho Hey" choruses. To that extreme, their calling card is that title. I hook filled sing-along called simply "Ho Hey."

The Lumineers are heavily dependent of catchy choruses and chants that a footballer could love. At the same time, they know the pain of loss resonates well in this sort of context, as "Stubborn Love" exhorts "The opposite of love is indifference." This trio can do both the depth and the easy and filter between the two with ease. Lead singer Wesley Schultz holds is own with the Avetts and Mumfords for the rootsy delivery, and can even claim Denver CO as their home.

These are the kind of songs that do a barn-stomper proud. made for beer chugging and glass slamming ala "Ho Hey" and other irresistible choruses. Step back in time with "Flapper Girl" or Charlie Boy," or get a little deeper with "Slow It Down." Get past the hollow sound (like I said, this is a low-fi production) and you'll find a lot to enjoy with The Lumineers.

The Lumineers
The Lumineers by The Lumineers (Audio CD - 2012)