Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on Tikes

Format: Audio CDChange

on April 17, 2012
After hearing 'Ho Hey' a number of times on the Current in Mpls I had to check out the rest. After listening to track 1 (Flowers in your Hair) I was already hitting the download button. Zero regrets, there isn't a dud to be heard. Lots of boot stomping and hand clapping as percussion along with some sweet melodies and beautiful lyrics. I'm not very good at writing about music but if you like stuff like the Avett Brothers or Low Anthem or The Head & the Heart I'm pretty sure you will like this. In fact, if you buy this album and you don't like it I will meet you exactly halfway between my house in Minneapolis and your house wherever that is and I will buy you a sandwich.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I actually would rate this cd between 3.5 and 4 stars. I heard their song Ho Hey a few days ago and got very excited for this release and I was not disappointed. The Lumineers have a great sound that reminds me Mumford & Sons, The Head and the Heart, and at times, Fleet Foxes. I make comparisons to these bands only because I have found and heard great music as a result of checking out bands that are similar to music I already enjoy listening to. Their self-titled album has a very spirited, upbeat (even in the slower tempo songs) mood that is very infectious. While I would not say that it is unlike anything I have ever heard, I would be comfortable saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through and it is only growing on me with each listen (as most good music does..IMO).

Favorite tracks: Dead Sea, Ho Hey, Slow It Down, Flapper Girl, Morning Song
on October 18, 2012
Admittedly, I bought this CD for the song Ho Hey, and then became crazy about the rest. For the most part, the songs are fairly upbeat, ranging from the humorous (Submarines) to antiwar (Charlie Boy), with a few stopovers in between for a life lesson (Classy Girls) and an amusing love song (Dead Sea). If I had any complaints at all, it would be about the order in which the songs are presented. Why a dirge after the lovely Ho Hey? They didn't just switch gears they slammed on the brakes. I almost got whiplash!

I do love my songs with a bit of substance. This group has all that and more.

My favorites are Ho Hey, Dead Sea, Flapper Girl, and Submarines.
on May 4, 2012
I was not sure what to expect when I ordered this album, I loved the catchy song "Ho Hey" I keep hearing on the radio. Each time I listen to this album, I am taken away by the depth and thoughtfulness of the lyrics. listen for your self - and look up the words! this is the best album I have heard in years.
on April 7, 2012
Finally, an album that I can listen to all the way through! Over the past few months, the Lumineers quickly became my new go-to. It's just pleasant music w/ great melodies and interesting depth. About half of this album is a more polished version of the EP and the other half is new songs. If I had to characterize The Lumineers, I'd say they're similar to Bright Eyes, except 10 times better and a tenth as annoyingly self-infatuated. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this music.
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2012
The Lumineers debut album rides the folk-rock wave currently being popularized by the likes of The Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons. But unlike either of those two bands, whom I love, The Lumineers eschew polish and production for a defiantly low-fi souns and a great dependence on "Ho Hey" choruses. To that extreme, their calling card is that title. I hook filled sing-along called simply "Ho Hey."

The Lumineers are heavily dependent of catchy choruses and chants that a footballer could love. At the same time, they know the pain of loss resonates well in this sort of context, as "Stubborn Love" exhorts "The opposite of love is indifference." This trio can do both the depth and the easy and filter between the two with ease. Lead singer Wesley Schultz holds is own with the Avetts and Mumfords for the rootsy delivery, and can even claim Denver CO as their home.

These are the kind of songs that do a barn-stomper proud. made for beer chugging and glass slamming ala "Ho Hey" and other irresistible choruses. Step back in time with "Flapper Girl" or Charlie Boy," or get a little deeper with "Slow It Down." Get past the hollow sound (like I said, this is a low-fi production) and you'll find a lot to enjoy with The Lumineers.
on April 5, 2012
Anyone who likes acoustic sounds and great song-writing should buy this album. It's been years since I found an album I can listen to as frequently as this one.
on July 3, 2012
Many thanks to Amazon for the recommendation of The Lumineers self-titled album that I received in my email inbox a few months ago. Even though I realize the solicitation was nothing more than the product of an automated mathematical algorithm: "based on his past purchases, there is 95% probability that he will purchase The Lumineers". It's really OK because I like math too. If it wasn't for that email, I may still be fumbling around in the dark searching for something new to fulfill my musical appetite.

Well, let me say I am acoustically satisfied. This album is like a smorgasbord of edible melodies, cooked up just right to be ingested by your ears, but digested by your soul. This stands in stark contrast to much of today's music; that which is manufactured for fleeting infatuations of money, ego, glamour, and PC issues. The true beauty is in the simplicity of the tunes - which offers a type of contentment - perfectly placed in the history of time for an insatiable culture overwhelmed by the plethora of information at its fingertips, and practically begging for a return to its traditional roots.

From Jeremiah's choppy percussion which includes, but is not limited to, the legendary hand clap - to the haunting backdrop of Neyla's cello - to Wesley's unparalleled vocals; these three musicians (and more when playing live!) blend their talents together perfectly. Not to mention the random yet somehow synchronous background shouts which add to the flavor of the songs. Of course there will be stand-out tracks, one being "Stubborn Love" which was phenomenal played live, but I recommend the album as a collective whole. Some complain of the short track lengths; ironically, I think it intelligently deliberate, leaving the listener scratching their ears for more. I refuse to marginalize this music by attempting to unfairly categorize it into some specific musical genre. The music is timeless and pure.

Finally, on the eve of this great nation's birthday, I'd like to close by saying God bless America, and God bless The Lumineers.
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2012
The Lumineers are a folksy trio who stick to their roots. Accompaniment is minimalist: guitar, cello, mandolin, percussion (stomps, claps, tambourine, drums). The lead vocalist's voice is more down-home than polished or pretty, but it fits the music perfectly. He sings with conviction and emotion. The backing vocals range from light harmonies to rowdy shouts. Passion infuses their songs, whether the catchy "Ho Hey" or the heart-wrenching but electrifying "Morning Song." They have a gift for crafting instantly engaging melodies, but they do enough with them so that they don't get stale after repeated listens. As simple as the music is, it resonates emotionally so that it continues to captivate and inspire. Each listen is rewarding and emotionally fulfilling.

My first inclination is to compare them with the Avett Brothers (particularly "I and Love and You") and Mumford and Sons. But I realize both of these comparisons are lacking. There's no banjo here. The overall sound is simpler. But this isn't a deficiency. It suits their songs beautifully. This self-titled recording is near perfect.

The first track, "Flowers in Your Hair", feels incomplete because it's so short and ends abruptly. The second track, "Classy Girls", takes a while to get going, but it evolves into a foot-stomping good time. "Submarines" is the first complete and instantly captivating song. But the hits just keep coming thereafter. There really isn't a dud on the album.

As of now, Amazon has each of the album's songs available to stream in full. Take the opportunity to sample the album in its entirety. There's a good chance you won't regret it. If this style of music appeals to you, you can't go wrong. Excellent album!
on October 21, 2012
I was expecting more. The songs you hear played on the radio, etc. are definitely the best. A few of them just sound like some college dude sitting on stage strumming three chords in a hip dive bar.

I give it a 3.5