Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on April 17, 2012
After hearing 'Ho Hey' a number of times on the Current in Mpls I had to check out the rest. After listening to track 1 (Flowers in your Hair) I was already hitting the download button. Zero regrets, there isn't a dud to be heard. Lots of boot stomping and hand clapping as percussion along with some sweet melodies and beautiful lyrics. I'm not very good at writing about music but if you like stuff like the Avett Brothers or Low Anthem or The Head & the Heart I'm pretty sure you will like this. In fact, if you buy this album and you don't like it I will meet you exactly halfway between my house in Minneapolis and your house wherever that is and I will buy you a sandwich.
1515 comments|439 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
I actually would rate this cd between 3.5 and 4 stars. I heard their song Ho Hey a few days ago and got very excited for this release and I was not disappointed. The Lumineers have a great sound that reminds me Mumford & Sons, The Head and the Heart, and at times, Fleet Foxes. I make comparisons to these bands only because I have found and heard great music as a result of checking out bands that are similar to music I already enjoy listening to. Their self-titled album has a very spirited, upbeat (even in the slower tempo songs) mood that is very infectious. While I would not say that it is unlike anything I have ever heard, I would be comfortable saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it the whole way through and it is only growing on me with each listen (as most good music does..IMO).

Favorite tracks: Dead Sea, Ho Hey, Slow It Down, Flapper Girl, Morning Song
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2012
Admittedly, I bought this CD for the song Ho Hey, and then became crazy about the rest. For the most part, the songs are fairly upbeat, ranging from the humorous (Submarines) to antiwar (Charlie Boy), with a few stopovers in between for a life lesson (Classy Girls) and an amusing love song (Dead Sea). If I had any complaints at all, it would be about the order in which the songs are presented. Why a dirge after the lovely Ho Hey? They didn't just switch gears they slammed on the brakes. I almost got whiplash!

I do love my songs with a bit of substance. This group has all that and more.

My favorites are Ho Hey, Dead Sea, Flapper Girl, and Submarines.
on April 7, 2012
Finally, an album that I can listen to all the way through! Over the past few months, the Lumineers quickly became my new go-to. It's just pleasant music w/ great melodies and interesting depth. About half of this album is a more polished version of the EP and the other half is new songs. If I had to characterize The Lumineers, I'd say they're similar to Bright Eyes, except 10 times better and a tenth as annoyingly self-infatuated. I have yet to find someone who doesn't like this music.
on May 4, 2012
I was not sure what to expect when I ordered this album, I loved the catchy song "Ho Hey" I keep hearing on the radio. Each time I listen to this album, I am taken away by the depth and thoughtfulness of the lyrics. listen for your self - and look up the words! this is the best album I have heard in years.
VINE VOICEon December 24, 2012
The Lumineers debut album rides the folk-rock wave currently being popularized by the likes of The Avett Brothers and Mumford and Sons. But unlike either of those two bands, whom I love, The Lumineers eschew polish and production for a defiantly low-fi souns and a great dependence on "Ho Hey" choruses. To that extreme, their calling card is that title. I hook filled sing-along called simply "Ho Hey."

The Lumineers are heavily dependent of catchy choruses and chants that a footballer could love. At the same time, they know the pain of loss resonates well in this sort of context, as "Stubborn Love" exhorts "The opposite of love is indifference." This trio can do both the depth and the easy and filter between the two with ease. Lead singer Wesley Schultz holds is own with the Avetts and Mumfords for the rootsy delivery, and can even claim Denver CO as their home.

These are the kind of songs that do a barn-stomper proud. made for beer chugging and glass slamming ala "Ho Hey" and other irresistible choruses. Step back in time with "Flapper Girl" or Charlie Boy," or get a little deeper with "Slow It Down." Get past the hollow sound (like I said, this is a low-fi production) and you'll find a lot to enjoy with The Lumineers.
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2012
The Lumineers are a folksy trio who stick to their roots. Accompaniment is minimalist: guitar, cello, mandolin, percussion (stomps, claps, tambourine, drums). The lead vocalist's voice is more down-home than polished or pretty, but it fits the music perfectly. He sings with conviction and emotion. The backing vocals range from light harmonies to rowdy shouts. Passion infuses their songs, whether the catchy "Ho Hey" or the heart-wrenching but electrifying "Morning Song." They have a gift for crafting instantly engaging melodies, but they do enough with them so that they don't get stale after repeated listens. As simple as the music is, it resonates emotionally so that it continues to captivate and inspire. Each listen is rewarding and emotionally fulfilling.

My first inclination is to compare them with the Avett Brothers (particularly "I and Love and You") and Mumford and Sons. But I realize both of these comparisons are lacking. There's no banjo here. The overall sound is simpler. But this isn't a deficiency. It suits their songs beautifully. This self-titled recording is near perfect.

The first track, "Flowers in Your Hair", feels incomplete because it's so short and ends abruptly. The second track, "Classy Girls", takes a while to get going, but it evolves into a foot-stomping good time. "Submarines" is the first complete and instantly captivating song. But the hits just keep coming thereafter. There really isn't a dud on the album.

As of now, Amazon has each of the album's songs available to stream in full. Take the opportunity to sample the album in its entirety. There's a good chance you won't regret it. If this style of music appeals to you, you can't go wrong. Excellent album!
on December 8, 2012
Heard a song or two on the radio by this band that I had never heard of. Submarines is what really caught my attention as well as Ho, Hey. There is an infectious beat. I also previewed some of their performances on YouTube. I purchased the CD and was not disappointed. I like every song and most I really, really like. That is saying a lot because sometimes you buy a CD and there is only one good song on it. If you, like me, sometimes want to find a new band/artist to stimulate your musical taste, I would not hesitate to recommend The Lumineers. Preview the songs here at Amazon and, if you like what you hear, you will like the CD. Oh, and I just heard the Lumineers were nominated for a Grammy.
on April 5, 2012
Anyone who likes acoustic sounds and great song-writing should buy this album. It's been years since I found an album I can listen to as frequently as this one.
on July 26, 2015
Great CD!!! Tank you! My husband even enjoyed listening to it........He is a music writer and tends to get stuck in the music of our generation......now he is discovering (through my tastes) that newer music is every bit as good as the music we grew up listening to. Thanks for one excellent CD---hope there are other great ones to follow.... :0